July 31, 2014, 10:02:24 AM

Author Topic: How is Canon going to compete with the grey market in Australia?  (Read 22010 times)

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: How is Canon going to compete with the grey market in Australia?
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2012, 03:54:46 AM »
AU$3599 is a relatively good price - I wish we had them that cheap in NZ!
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2012, 03:54:46 AM »

liberace

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2012, 04:45:58 AM »
So very tempted to pick up the kit w/24-70mm f/2.8 L USM II.......

gecko

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2012, 05:32:43 AM »
Price is back to $3599inc gst, there was an initial error, however with all the orders we put in with Canon Australia, we were able to keep the price as it was.
Aarrgghhhh!

Damn you Leederville Cameras!!.....I don't need a MkIII.....must resist.....wife will kill me.......mustn't pick up the phone........
EOS 3, 7D, 5DII, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100-400 f4-5.6L,  TS-E 24 f3.5 II, Zeiss 21.

blackwind

« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2012, 06:10:55 AM »
I can feel my wife sharpen the knife  :-\

Last month i sold my 550d and her sony p/s. then i bought her a sony nex5n. She cearly said that we are going to have this camera only. "she knew i been peeping at 5d2 for awhile" hehe if she knew i am going to spend 3599 for body and 4899 (kit lense),  i am dead for sure!!!!

:o

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2012, 06:16:15 AM »
So very tempted to pick up the kit w/24-70mm f/2.8 L USM II.......

Me too.  Still have a week to decide.

4thchicken

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2012, 06:30:03 AM »
17 coming in this month, this will clear most backorders, remaining stock will come Mid April, maybe earlier, we are taking orders again at $3599 with $500 deposits.

wondering if you could clarify if just the initial lot that will be 3599 (due to error) or if that is going to be an ongoing price? - am interested in mid april-ish (can't do earlier b/c of TRS) :)

blackwind

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »
17 coming in this month, this will clear most backorders, remaining stock will come Mid April, maybe earlier, we are taking orders again at $3599 with $500 deposits.

wondering if you could clarify if just the initial lot that will be 3599 (due to error) or if that is going to be an ongoing price? - am interested in mid april-ish (can't do earlier b/c of TRS) :)

The same here, I am very interested by sometime end of march / early april.  I lost my creditcard yesterday, i report it as lost, they going to send me new one by end of next week.

Hopefully leederville will keep their price as is for awhile.

Cheers

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2012, 11:47:28 PM »

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2012, 01:38:20 AM »
I dropped into Digital Camera Warehouse yesterday to get some cleaning stuff, and a guy I know that works there told me that they have something going on with Canon next Thursday the 22nd March in their Sydney store.
He said they will have some 5D3 and 1Dx's there for people to play with.

Not sure what time they will be there, but I might just drop in and have a look-see.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2012, 06:19:20 AM »
http://mycamerafocus.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=235
$3395, grey import

Keep in mind GST + Duty on top of that.  Leederville's still cheaper and it's Australian stock.

nighstar

« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »
just got back from Hands-on Night at CameraPro here in Brisbane where i got to (briefly) try out one of the three pre-production models that are in Australia (according to the Canon AU reps). :D it was interesting and has done nothing to abate my anticipation for having one for myself.

a few things that the Canon AU reps said (in no particular order):

- 5d Mark III (bodies, not sure about kits) have already arrived in Sydney but will not be shipped out to stores until next week; Friday was mentioned a few times, at least in relation to CameraPro.
- the first shipment will be in large quantities.
- ordering the body only is "probably the quickest way to get it (the Mark III)," according to one of the reps
- the number of bodies/kits each store will receive in their first shipment has yet to be decided.
- the new GPS Receiver (GP-E2 i believe) not only adds location information to your photos but also adds copyright information that cannot be edited/removed from a photo in any way.

i commented on how high the Australian price is compared to the US price, but i cant even begin to rehash the jumbled quasi explanation that i was given. something about Australian stock being bought in USD which is then converted to yen or something...  ??? whatever. one interesting thing to note is that one of the reps mentioned the hype leading up to the announement on Canon Rumors! ;D

anyway, my initial impressions of the camera were very positive. :) it's a shame, however, that the one question that i have about the camera re: manual focusing and warranties with 3rd party focusing screens couldn't be answered, though. i also was unable to test focusing with a fast lens as the camera on display had the 24-105mm/f4 L on it. bummer.  :-\ oh well.... shall be able to test the camera for myself soon anyway, i guess.

Hill Benson

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
Kudos to Leederville for being able to give us aussies a price that is comparable to the US. I will certainly be giving them my business (and probably following lens purchases) if I can convince
my other half!
Box Brownie 2AL

mcintoshi

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »
Kudos to Leederville for being able to give us aussies a price that is comparable to the US. I will certainly be giving them my business (and probably following lens purchases) if I can convince
my other half!

Same here - I put down my deposit last thursday.  I for one appreciate their willingness to "take a stand" against the market forces that drive customers away from their business, and I hope this experiment works out well for them.  I know that they aren't making anything out of the body sales, so fingers crossed that enough people buy lenses & accessories to make it worth their while doing it again.  When I pay off and pick up the 5D3 I'll most likely be buying at least one L series lens + filter + CF card + black rapid strap, assuming their best price is competitive (which doesn't mean it has to beat grey market but needs to be within a certain range which is still to be decided) 

Just need to find a decisive winner in the lens battle in my head!  (Current front runner is 70-200 f2.8 IS II)

Ian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2012, 09:50:36 PM »

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
it's a shame, however, that the one question that i have about the camera re: manual focusing and warranties with 3rd party focusing screens couldn't be answered, though. i also was unable to test focusing with a fast lens as the camera on display had the 24-105mm/f4 L on it. bummer.  :-\ oh well.... shall be able to test the camera for myself soon anyway, i guess.

We had a play around with it at the Philip Bloom workshops here in Adelaide last week.

Tested with the 50mm f1.2 and sure enough the focusing is pretty fast and accurate too. Much nicer than the Mk2.

What do you mean by manual focusing? as in auto focus during video?
I'm guessing that its the latter, No auto focus during video, and rightly so, never understood the whole I'm going to spend $5k on a camera... i hope it does everything for me, thing. Especially when good glass like a set of Zeiss Primes are manual everything etc.

AF = Photography...Yes, Video ...No.

3rd party focusing screens?? Im guessing the answer to this one will be, what was the situation with the 5D2 and 7D? It will probably be the same with this as they are basically a combination of this camera now body wise.

After the play around with the camera for video I've even put off my Macbook Pro upgrade so i can afford one.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

blackwind

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »
I just pre-order one from leederville, possibly last one of the 2nd batch if not 3rd batch (4-6 weeks). :-\

hmm WHat  have i done now?  ???

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: March 20, 2012, 01:42:12 AM »