October 20, 2014, 11:50:45 PM

Author Topic: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)  (Read 2481 times)

ereka

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
OK, here's my dilemma. I attended Focus on Imaging yesterday in Birmingham (UK). I had the opportunity to handle a 5D MkIII and it did feel good in my hands. The specs are also more advanced than the MkII. However, the asking price is currently £2999 (approximately $4755) whereas there were new 5D MkII bodies on sale for £1300 (approximately $2060) at the Camera World stand.

So, I could have a 5DMkII now (proven and tested technology) for almost half the price of the 5DMkIII at some undefined time in the future (new technology, possible bugs to iron out). Looked at another way, I could have two 5DMkII bodies for more or less the price of one 5DMkIII body.

I had a 1Dx on preorder, which I cancelled because that is almost double again the price of the 5DMkIII and to be honest I started thinking of all the nice glass I could buy with that sort of money.

I'm not a pro sports or wildlife shooter, so a 5DMkIII or even a MkII would probably be more than adequate for my needs, if I'm totally honest with myself.

I'm tempted just to get a 5D MkII for £1300 ($2060) and see how I get on with it for a few months until the 5D MkIII and 1Dx have been out in the field, some real world reviews/comparisons come in and any teething problems are ironed out. Another factor in this decision is that I'd like a FF camera to take with me on holiday to the Far East on 12th April and wonder, even with a preorder, what the likelihood is that I'd even have a 5D MkIII in my hands by 12th April?

What would you do?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 08:58:51 AM by ereka »

canon rumors FORUM


00Q

  • Guest
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
I think Jessops says that you are able to have the MKIII on the 22nd of March. So you will get it in time for your far easy holiday.

ereka

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »
I think Jessops says that you are able to have the MKIII on the 22nd of March. So you will get it in time for your far easy holiday.

As a matter of interest, where/when did they say that?

How about the 'new technology' aspect though - better to go with tried and tested technology or a new product that more likely than not will have some bugs and teething problems to iron out?

Flake

  • Guest
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »
Currently you can buy the Canon G1x from Ebay from Far East shippers at around £500 often including memory card & spare battery.  In the UK it's not available and costs £699 with absolutely no free goodies at all.  Based on that, and if you're prepared to live with the warranty issues, (sending it back to far east in unlikely event) you should be able to buy a 5D MkIII for around £2150.

briansquibb

  • Guest
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:21:32 AM »
As a general purpose camera the 7D is better than the 5DII.

If you want top IQ and happy to have a not so good AF then the 5DII is the way to go.

The big however is that the 5DII is much more demanding on the glass and works best with f/2.8 or faster

A 7D is about £900 at the moment and is good value for money.

Look at the total cost - ie camera plus lens

sanj

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1557
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
I would buy a used mark 2. I have used it for two years and it is a super duper camera for your purpose. 7D is not worth it for you.
Save your money and forget about all this and go out and do your photography. 5d with 24-105 and 50mm f1.4 is it for you. Both used if in good condition...

tt

  • Guest
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »
You had a 1DX on order so I take it money isn't too big an issue

Snap decision - would you take the 5DMkII and a 2k lens? Like the 85mm 1.2?
Or just a 5DMkIII back for that price?

The 22nd march isn't the actual date necessarily that orders are being shipped overnight to customers.

But if you're in the first batch you'd likely have it by 12 April definitely depending on who you get it from.
If you can get to their store for example.

Depends how many have bought since Friday.  Worth checking out with the dealer.

Barring a huge issue, what's being shipped from Canon now is going To be the same as in a few weeks and months time when you've got your reviews and lots more people are ordering having done the same thing of waiting.

You could just put the camera in order, and rent a a 5D now/for the holiday and get to try some lenses too.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 04:08:46 PM »

Drama79

  • Guest
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
I will solve your issue.

I'm getting a 5D3 overseas, so it's £2,200. Which is more paletable. I am also selling my 7D to pay for some of it. I love it, it would more than suit your needs, all you need to do is make me an offer. I'd rather it go to a camera fan than on feebay. Make me an offer over PM if you like.

ereka

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 154
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 07:59:35 AM »
I will solve your issue.

I'm getting a 5D3 overseas, so it's £2,200. Which is more paletable. I am also selling my 7D to pay for some of it. I love it, it would more than suit your needs, all you need to do is make me an offer. I'd rather it go to a camera fan than on feebay. Make me an offer over PM if you like.

That's an interesting option that I hadn't really considered!

As I'm going to the Philippines on 12th April for five weeks, I was anxious as to whether I might be able to obtain a 5DMkIII in time for the trip, but hadn't considered that I might actually be able to buy one whilst over there. Can anyone advise me as to where in the Philippines would be the best place to buy and also what the implications are for bringing the camera back to the UK e.g. would I have to pay import duty on it when I arrive back in the UK and if so is this likely to negate any price advantage? Also, presumably there would be no warranty with it.

briansquibb

  • Guest
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 08:07:57 AM »
Whilst I am a lover of the 5D2 I would not recommend it over a 5D3 except for price reasons.

sanj

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1557
    • View Profile
Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »
For your kind of photography stick to #2. No point buying something that does not help you much.
Regards.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Dilemma - 5DMkII for £1300 or 5DMkIII for £3000 ($2060 vs $4755)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »