October 24, 2014, 12:36:21 PM

Author Topic: Canon 5D Mark III - Price Drop Details  (Read 81684 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Mark III price dropping
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »
I'm seeing a definite downward trend.  Multiple offerings below 3100 USD on Ebay.  Apparently these are from small but well rated camera shops.  The big online retailers are dropping a bit too.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-III-223-MP-Digital-SLR-Camera-Black-Body-Only-Latest-Model-/113297147?_refkw=canon+5d+mark+iii&_pcatid=782&_pcategid=31388&_dmpt=Digital_Cameras
Electronics Valley is not a Authorized Cannon Dealer, so there will be no warranty.  Its likely a gray market camera, but if they are not a authorized reseller, thats not warrantied either.
As to ebay charging over 10 percent, I just sold off my Nikon D800 and 24-70mm f/2.8 G, and the ebay fee was 2.8%.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2012, 02:29:39 PM »

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #121 on: July 18, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »
Good point Mt. Spokane!  There is no mention of any warranty in the ad.

I checked another ad on Ebay, which happened to be for the Mark 3 with kit lens...  It clearly states that there is a USA warranty included.  I assume that means the warranty card is in the box.  However, if I read your comment correctly, the warranty is void if the camera is not sold by an Authorized Canon Dealer.  Is there an easy way to find out if a dealer is authorized?

I would not wish to buy a Canon product without the warranty.  I've had to send stuff to Canon Service many times!

Mike in Portland
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2012, 06:09:13 PM »
I just ordered a MK3 body for 3,099 on evil bay. USA retail, non-grey market. 8)

Its really too bad your supporting evil bay by buying something they will get at least a 10% fee out of on the seller side, if not more when you factor in the PayPal fees as well. :\ (I really despise ebay these days...moneygrubbing greedmonsters...meh.)

Oh well, Too bad canon didn't turn out a product that I feel is worth the extra 500$ Retail. ::)

Well, at least Canon would put that extra $500 to GOOD use! More money to fund better R&D, so that the next sensor they release IS as good as an Exmor, maybe? ;P All eBay will do with it is hire more moneygrubbing greedmonsters to figure out how to stick it to their sellers to and even greater degree! Yay...funding ebay greed...fun....

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
wow decent drop
dzone2 and digital rev are both good i 've bought heaps from both of them

now if it drops another $100

will all the price whingers please shut up?

but lets face it in reality if $3500 is too much of a budget stretch then $3000 is most likely out of their league too :P
APS-H Fanboy

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2012, 07:01:01 PM »
I'm holding out for $3000 myself.  It's not that I don't have $3500 in the bank, it's just that I can't justify more than 3 grand to upgrade from my 5D classic which I've learned to use really well within the limits of the autofocus system.  By that I mean avoiding situations where focus is critical.  I also have a 7D that is currently working quite well.

I'll probably wait till near the end of the year before buying.  Maybe the new entry level FF will meet my needs if the autofocus system has microfocus adjust that lets you calibrate at both ends of the zoom range.  And who knows?  Maybe we'll start seeing Mark Three's in the Canon Refurbished store!

Mike
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2012, 07:05:04 PM »
I'm holding out for $3000 myself.  It's not that I don't have $3500 in the bank, it's just that I can't justify more than 3 grand to upgrade from my 5D classic which I've learned to use really well within the limits of the autofocus system.  By that I mean avoiding situations where focus is critical.  I also have a 7D that is currently working quite well.

I'll probably wait till near the end of the year before buying.  Maybe the new entry level FF will meet my needs if the autofocus system has microfocus adjust that lets you calibrate at both ends of the zoom range.  And who knows?  Maybe we'll start seeing Mark Three's in the Canon Refurbished store!

Mike
maybe they will have got the crayons out and coloured in those stealth AF points too! :P
i bet my first mk3 body i sent back will be in the refurbished store
APS-H Fanboy

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »
I just ordered a MK3 body for 3,099 on evil bay. USA retail, non-grey market. 8)

Its really too bad your supporting evil bay by buying something they will get at least a 10% fee out of on the seller side, if not more when you factor in the PayPal fees as well. :\ (I really despise ebay these days...moneygrubbing greedmonsters...meh.)

Oh well, Too bad canon didn't turn out a product that I feel is worth the extra 500$ Retail. ::)

Well, at least Canon would put that extra $500 to GOOD use! More money to fund better R&D, so that the next sensor they release IS as good as an Exmor, maybe? ;P All eBay will do with it is hire more moneygrubbing greedmonsters to figure out how to stick it to their sellers to and even greater degree! Yay...funding ebay greed...fun....

You bet, Canon would put those 500 Bucks in their pocket! LoL! ;D

Look Canon should have just priced the 5d3 at 2999$ and everything would have been peachy. It would be an equal priced but faster camera to compete with the d800. When an extra 500$ get slammed on top of the other thing's I'll need to run the camera into my workflow, Its just bleh.

I probably would have just purchased the 5D3 at release if it was 2999$. No problemo.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2012, 08:14:43 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2012, 08:25:55 PM »

Look Canon should have just priced the 5d3 at 2999$ and everything would have been peachy. It would be an equal priced but faster camera to compete with the d800. When an extra 500$ get slammed on top of the other thing's I'll need to run the camera into my workflow, Its just bleh.

I probably would have just purchased the 5D3 at release if it was 2999$. No problemo.

Agree with you again RL....jrista-canon doesn't get the extra $500, the retailer is the entity that is taking the "hit" to their profit.  Canon sells cameras at a specific price to retailers, if the retailer doesn't price it at MSRP then the retailer earns less profit.  Canon still profits by the same amount whether you buy it at $3500 or $3000.

Also...I totally agree that Canon is overcharging on the 5d3 by $500....I believe the price will decline to $2999 by year end because the demand won't be there at $3500.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2012, 08:49:21 PM »

That's true but you're also getting the advantage of selling to or buying from, millions of people.  They're a business, they have to make money.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »

What pocket? Canon isn't just a service like ebay...they CREATE STUFF...they are a manufacturer that produces millions of units a day (at least) of various devices that fuel businesses and the personal creativity of millions (if not hundreds of millions) around the globe. If the argument is that Canon can't sell the 5D III at $3499, I think the numbers falsify that on its face. B&H alone during the pre-order phase received TENS OF THOUSANDS of orders. If we assume that number was just 10,000, that extra $500 totals an additional 5 million in what your claiming is extra cost that no one is willing to pay. On top of B&H, you also had thousands of preorders on Adorama, Amazon, etc. There are also all of the sales since the camera actually hit the streets. Were talking, what...a few hundred million extra dollars that consumers have spent on a camera that is supposedly overpriced by $500? I think the consumer collective is reinforcing Canon's research, and the $3499 price is spot on and certainly reasonable, if the numbers have anything to say about it.

Agree with you again RL....jrista-canon doesn't get the extra $500, the retailer is the entity that is taking the "hit" to their profit.  Canon sells cameras at a specific price to retailers, if the retailer doesn't price it at MSRP then the retailer earns less profit.  Canon still profits by the same amount whether you buy it at $3500 or $3000.

Also...I totally agree that Canon is overcharging on the 5d3 by $500....I believe the price will decline to $2999 by year end because the demand won't be there at $3500.

Sure, there is certainly a retail markup, however I was illustrating (or trying to illustrate) a point. I would actually be surprised if Canon is wholeselling to retailers at the same cost as Nikon is. Nikon has the benefit of riding on Sony's back from an R&D standpoint...a lucrative alliance to say the least. Canon is a self-contained powerhouse, and I would expect their wholesale to be higher to cover higher R&D costs. So maybe they only get $2500 a camera while Nikon gets $2200 a camera...the customer is ultimately footing the bill.

eBay is a service...they don't produce anything, they rake in money, pay for their infrastructure, and pocket the rest (with, evidently, a healthy budget for figuring out how to rake in ever greater sums of money to the literal and thoroughly (and validly!) bitched about detriment to the very force that keeps them alive...sellers.) Canon is a manufacturer, and they don't just pocket the money they get for each camera sale. First and foremost it has to go to further manufacturing to produce supply to meet demand. Beyond that, while I'm sure there is a fair amount padding the neatly lined pockets of Canon management, a they DO have a healthy budget for R&D of new products. The whole package deal with the 5D III and 1D X are a testament to that...there was a considerable amount of research and development effort put into BOTH cameras, and it certainly wasn't cheap to do.

Buying a 5D III off of eBay (unless its from an eBay merchant that buys direct from Canon in the first place...not sure how you could really tell if thats the case or not) doesn't really fund R&D so that the next camera you buy from Canon does have a better sensor. It ultimately funds a money-making service that doesn't produce anything, and has for many years now progressively buried the sellers that make eBay a reality under deeper and ever more complicated fee structures, causing many small businesses that were dependent on eBay to simply fold, while greatly eating away at seller profits for anyone else who's stuck around. If you want to demonize a corporation, I'd say eBay is far easier to demonize than Canon...its pretty clear eBay these days (thanks to pretty much zero competition...an ailment that Canon is NOT suffering by any means!) are little more than money grubbing greedy bastards at the best of times, and have little regard for the people who pay all those ridiculous fees and keep them afloat.

At least Canon is a company that produces something, and that helps fuel the creativity of millions. Their products are far from "bad", and while they have lost the edge they held to SoNikon...their sensors, AF capabilities, etc. will improve and become competitive again unless Canon is simply admitting total defeat and giving up entirely (something I doubt whole-heartedly).

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2012, 09:26:33 PM »
How about $2865? With free shipping?
http://www.eglobaldigitalcameras.com.au/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-body-only-digital-slr-camera.html

Yes, it's gray, but that's a fairly compelling price. I have bought lesser items from this mob and had no issues. Fast delivery with tracking, items properly packaged etc.

I paid full price for my 5D3 to qualify for CPS benefits. Lucky for me! At under 10,000 shutter actuations I needed the shutter replaced. It took 3 days and I had a loan body during the repair period. It would have been a different story with a gray purchase.

PW

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2012, 09:38:18 PM »
Who knows what Canon's & Nikon's R&D costs are.  For all we know Nikon's costs could be $500 less.  We should look at the cameras as a whole and what they contribute to photography.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
Jrista... Huh?  ???

This isn't about anybody else beside my personal decision and opinion on buying a camera off of evil bay. I put 500$ extra in my pocket that I will use for other stuff I'll need. If you'd like to forfeit your extra dough over to a retail price camera, that's your decision.

If the seller on evil bay wasn't going to make money on evil bay, They wouldn't put it on evil bay. If the seller is willing to take a loss on evil bay, that's the seller choice.

Its quite simple economics, and I like that. ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »

jrista

• EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:24 PM »
Jrista... Huh?  ???

This isn't about anybody else beside my personal decision and opinion on buying a camera off of evil bay. I put 500$ extra in my pocket that I will use for other stuff I'll need. If you'd like to forfeit your extra dough over to a retail price camera, that's your decision.

If the seller on evil bay wasn't going to make money on evil bay, They wouldn't put it on evil bay. If the seller is willing to take a loss on evil bay, that's the seller choice.

Its quite simple economics, and I like that. ::)

Well, my comments were more about what seemed like more complaining and demonizing of Canon for charging a beastly extra $500. I was just pointing out (perhaps in an overly wordy manner) that if you want to demonize someone, demonize ebay...they more than deserve it. They probably made $320 in final sale fees off the poor sap who sold a 5D III for $3099, not including PayPal fees and whatever the initial listing fee was. Add all that up, and they walked away with...oh, maybe $2600? Knock off the wholesale cost, and thats a rinky dinky small profit margin... :(

Good for you for saving $400 (certainly not dissing that!!), but whenever I hear about eBay these days it makes me want to punch something...repeatedly...preferably an ebay C-level douche...

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2012, 10:43:56 PM »
Good point Mt. Spokane!  There is no mention of any warranty in the ad.

I checked another ad on Ebay, which happened to be for the Mark 3 with kit lens...  It clearly states that there is a USA warranty included.  I assume that means the warranty card is in the box.  However, if I read your comment correctly, the warranty is void if the camera is not sold by an Authorized Canon Dealer.  Is there an easy way to find out if a dealer is authorized?

I would not wish to buy a Canon product without the warranty.  I've had to send stuff to Canon Service many times!

Mike in Portland
http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf
Remember, it does not matter if there is a US warranty card in the box, Canon goes by the receipt.
Some sellers are taking out the batteries and blaming the US post office.  Its illegal to send a li-on battery in international mail.  The seller says he is in New Jersey.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2012, 10:43:56 PM »