check my (very long) post in the middle of this to see how price and relative sales have been moving:
the price briefly fell to $3199 on adorama (15-jul), and right now the kit is out of stock but listed at $4049 directly from amazon
and yes, when it's $3000 directly from amazon or bh, it will be a mildly reasonable price, and I may pull the trigger on the 5D3 and stop complaining
at $3450, I'm still leaning towards the 5D2
I have to buy the camera, whichever it is, before august 6th
Norman....I'm a numbers guy, and when I'm looking at buying a camera, car, bike...etc, I think it's very important to try and determine up front how long you'll own it, and what it might be worth at the future point in time that you might sell it.
In this case the decision is $3400 or $2000, if you were to sell each 5 years from now, roughly how much would you get?
My guess:(with normal use and care)
5d3 in 5 years is worth $2300
5d2 in 5 years is worth $900
So, my estimate for the 5d3 total cost of ownership in this case is $1100, and my 5d2 estimated total cost of ownership is also $1100
Three other things to consider - the time value of money...not really a consideration because interest rates are at historical lows. Second consideration, is one product superior to the other? I think that answer is obvious...the 5d3 is a better camera and therefore will provide you with some level of additional benefit as compared to a 5d2.( how much extra benefit depends on how you use it) Third, do you have the extra $1400 available or would you have to borrow it? Only you can answer this question.
Hope this helps your decision making!