July 22, 2014, 12:13:16 PM

Author Topic: Why I think the 5D mkIII suits landscape photographers  (Read 10079 times)

YellowJersey

Why I think the 5D mkIII suits landscape photographers
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »
There's been a lot of talk about how the 5D mkIII doesn't benefit landscape photographers. I searched for an appropriate thread to post this, but none of them seemed right. So here I am starting my first thread. (be gentle)

Personally, I think the 5D mkIII specs suit the needs of landscape photographers. Or, at the very least, it suits my needs as a landscape/nature photographer.

My reasoning is thus: I'm often shooting in the morning or evening (golden hour) in low light at an f-stop between f/8 and f/11 and quite often I'll be using various filters from polarizers to graduated ND filters. This means that in order to get decent shutter speed I generally have to crank the ISO up, but I want as clean an image as possible. So the 5D mkIII's improvement on the mkII's ISO will be a great help.

If the 5D mkIII was a high MP camera like many people wish, then I think the low light capabilities would be reduced and my early morning/late evening shots would suffer for it. I think 22MP is high resolution enough but without getting too high so as to hurt low light ISO.

I currently shoot a 5D classic and, quite frankly, it's 12MP sensor gives me more than enough resolution to work with, even if I'm making larger prints. The 22MP is going to be far more than I even know what to do with.

So I think what we've been given is a great balance.

So at the very least, it suits my needs as a landscape and nature photographer. Others may differ, but spec wise it seems like the right camera for me.

canon rumors FORUM

Why I think the 5D mkIII suits landscape photographers
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:52:35 AM »

briansquibb

Re: Why I think the 5D mkIII suits landscape photographers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:02:45 AM »
A nice little feature on the 5DIII is the electronic level on the  screen (same as the 7D).

A nice to have for tripod work

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:04:31 AM »
A nice little feature on the 5DIII is the electronic level on the  screen (same as the 7D).

I so need that i always get the horrizon off unless i pop my little green bubble level on top
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 01:09:03 AM »

I so need that i always get the horrizon off unless i pop my little green bubble level on top

I was thinking of sunset/sunrise when it is difficult to see the little bubble :D

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:11:58 AM »

The electronic level on my 7D is one of my favorite features for lanscapes with that camera.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 01:30:31 AM »

I was thinking of sunset/sunrise when it is difficult to see the little bubble :D
i'll just be happy not having to unpack 50 million things out of my camera bag so i can dig the little bubble out of the bottom where it migrated to and got hidden
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:34:12 AM »

i'll just be happy not having to unpack 50 million things out of my camera bag so i can dig the little bubble out of the bottom where it migrated to and got hidden

Wow - that is some bag  ;) ;) ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:34:12 AM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 01:57:13 AM »
Personally, I think the 5D mkIII specs suit the needs of landscape photographers. Or, at the very least, it suits my needs as a landscape/nature photographer.

My reasoning is thus: I'm often shooting in the morning or evening (golden hour) in low light at an f-stop between f/8 and f/11 and quite often I'll be using various filters from polarizers to graduated ND filters. This means that in order to get decent shutter speed I generally have to crank the ISO up, but I want as clean an image as possible. So the 5D mkIII's improvement on the mkII's ISO will be a great help.

Here's a tip: get a tripod and shoot at ISO 100 more often.

briansquibb

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 02:01:16 AM »

+1 Exactly

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 02:03:20 AM »
I humbly disagree.
Any serious landscape photographer will use a solid tripod and low low ISO.
Please!

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 02:16:35 AM »

He does hilight that theres alot of differences within the "landscape" market, I'd guess most amatures take some landscapes but people willing to use a tripod(espeically on holiday) and deal with exact appature/focus to get the most out of 36 MP are likely in the minority.

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 03:40:29 AM »
I completely agree with the OP that the 5D III specs sound great for landscape and nature photography. This camera (with some decent glass attached to it) could certainly improve my landscape capabilities. I often shoot while hiking, mountaineering or skiing and therefore seldom carry a tripod with me. Clean higher ISO output would help me getting shots in some situations where my 7D simply does not deliver satisfying image quality.
I also like the fact that they put in better weather sealing and the GPS device sounds like an interesting addition for me too (although a very expensive one).
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/
http://stefsan.smugmug.com

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 03:45:48 AM »
I think we could keep it pretty simple. The 5D II was (and still is) one of the most popular digital cameras for landscape photographers. I see more landscape photographers posting photos online taken with a 5D II than any other camera.

Given that the 5D III LOSES NOTHING, in relation to the 5D II (rather it gains something on pretty much every level, including image resolution)...there is zero reason it wouldn't also be an excellent and hugely popular camera amongst the same exact group of people who used the 5D II. Tripod or no tripod. ;-)
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 03:45:48 AM »

Autocall

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 04:17:53 AM »
Still be people not shooting panoramics for wide landscapes?
I understand that high-end Studio photography eventually still needs medium format but why the hell wouldn't the mk III be suited for landscapes?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:19:51 AM by Autocall »

Bennymiata

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:31:14 AM »
I also think the 5D3 will be great for landscapes, and also lower light indoor shots without using a flash, which can often be a problem when taking shots of larger groups indoors at night.
The higher FPS also means it will be quite OK for sports, so IMHO, I think the 5D3 will be a great all-aroud camera for the more serious photographer - and that's me to a tee! :)

22mp is more than enough.
Many years ago, I had a D60 (which I still have actually and I'm thinking of getting it changed into an infra-red camera) and it's paltry few mp still gave reasonable shots, at low ISO's, and my new 60D is good, but the high ISO is not so good, so for me, the 5D3 seems perfect.
I do have a grip fo rmy 60D, but I often don't want to lug it around with me, so  1Dx wouldn't suit me, so the 5D3 seems to be the perfect halfway house.
I'm also dieing to try my new Sigma 150mm macro with OS on the 5D3!
The results should be spectacular.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:31:14 AM »