October 22, 2014, 05:57:04 AM

Author Topic: Who's in for a trip to the US ?  (Read 10547 times)

sphax

Who's in for a trip to the US ?
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:18 AM »
Hell, I just can't believe that 3499$ = 3499€ so I figured some things out :

- with today's rate, 3499$ = 2662,50€
- difference with european pricing is = 836,50€
- three days trip from Paris to NY, including flights and hotel is approximately 700€
- I've never been to NY before, and I could actually SAVE MONEY  if I'd go visit it ... WHO'S IN ??

And, by the way, although it's (maybe, maybe not) a humorous topic, it could help me knowing some things about taxes and toll controls : is it true that if I get there, buy a camera on the first day, and then shoot 1,000 pics of NY, I'll be able to go through the frontiers with a "used" camera ??? Won't they check the date I bought it and say "you're kidding us (US^^) you bought that three days ago !!" .... Thanks for your help / experiences ;)

canon rumors FORUM

Who's in for a trip to the US ?
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:18 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Who's in for a trip to the US ?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 04:50:41 AM »

- three days trip from Paris to NY, including flights and hotel is approximately 700€
- I've never been to NY before, and I could actually SAVE MONEY  if I'd go visit it ... WHO'S IN ??

And, by the way, although it's (maybe, maybe not) a humorous topic, it could help me knowing some things about taxes and toll controls : is it true that if I get there, buy a camera on the first day, and then shoot 1,000 pics of NY, I'll be able to go through the frontiers with a "used" camera ??? Won't they check the date I bought it and say "you're kidding us (US^^) you bought that three days ago !!" .... Thanks for your help / experiences ;)
haha you are joking but since i will be getting 2 i was seriously considering a trip to NY to get them if prices here in oz were not reasonable but since i snagged one at 3599 i dont need to now all up the trip would have cost more but it would have been fun anyway as i have never been.
APS-H Fanboy

Flake

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:54:51 AM »
I'm afraid it's not the case as they have access to all the serial numbers, so even if you buy from the US & holiday in Egypt they can still get you comming back if the duty hasn't been paid.  On top of that there's no European warranty so you'd have to send it back to the US if anything went wrong.

A better bet is to buy from the Far East and have it posted to you, which saves a trip, and usually also gives some kind of warranty

ed24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 05:05:48 AM »

I posted this very same comment a few days ago, I'm totally going to do this. I'll save myself £500 and that's after paying for flights!

sphax

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:06 AM »
I'm afraid it's not the case as they have access to all the serial numbers, so even if you buy from the US & holiday in Egypt they can still get you comming back if the duty hasn't been paid.  On top of that there's no European warranty so you'd have to send it back to the US if anything went wrong.

A better bet is to buy from the Far East and have it posted to you, which saves a trip, and usually also gives some kind of warranty

What do you mean by "far east" ?
And by "they can still get you coming back" ... ??? Is there anything that says "oh if you spent three weeks in the US then it's fine but if you spent three days then it's not" ... ? 'cos as I've heard previously you pay the taxes only for new items, don't you ?

Drama79

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:28:50 AM »

Umm.. not really. Any value good would be held for up to three weeks, and then have VAT added, and handling fees.

If however, you claim it's a gift from your American girlfriend, in the highly unlikely event you get stopped, and the customs guy is a camera expert, you might have to fill in a form, but it would be fine. Mail the packaging home, carry the camera home in your carry-on.

mrdiger

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »
'cos as I've heard previously you pay the taxes only for new items, don't you ?

No, you´ve to pay tax for all items you are importing.

Maybe it could happend, that you´ve to pay tax for things you take with you on holiday, if you haven´t a receipt for them..
In Germany you have to copy your receipts and take them with you or you have to announce things at duty,before you´re going on holiday.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:35:24 AM »

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 05:40:25 AM »
It depends on the customs regulations of your country (France, presumably).  I bought my first digital SLR (EOS 300D) during a trip to the USA when it first came out, as well as a bunch of lenses and accessories (from a mixture of Adorama, B&H and a local camera shop in Vermont).  I brought them back home to the UK (where I lived at the time), but first made sure that I had thrown away all of the packaging.  At that point, the camera equipment became classified as 'personal effects', like anything else you'd take on a trip abroad (eg, underwear, an iPod, etc).

It's the same here in New Zealand.  Once it becomes a personal effect, and not a new product still in its packaging, you're okay and don't need to pay import duties.  The packaging is significant because by keeping it, it signifies that: a) the product is brand new, and b) you might be importing it to resell - which means you'll get taxed.

Most people take cameras on their overseas trips, and a used camera is extremely unlikely to get any special attention by customs officers.

I do buy a lot of items from other countries (I buy my business shirts from a shop in Paris and have them shipped to New Zealand, for example), so I'm reasonably well-versed in my own country's policies, but it would pay for you to check your own.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

mrdiger

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:46:25 AM »
@smithy

that is correct, but if you over the "free tollbudget" (Germany is amount 500$) you´ve to pay the tax for all things, shirts aswell.

sphax

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 05:46:35 AM »
Mail the packaging home, carry the camera home in your carry-on.

THAT'S actually a great idea ... just carrying the bill, in case, and fitting the camera inside my hand-luggage to make it look like I just brought it for the trip. Amazing and really tempting ... !

Somnipotent

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:22:14 AM »
this is quite interesting... they actually check serial numbers on the way back??  i'm from the US so this topic is quite interesting... didn't realize that they were so anal about import taxes to this degree in the EU/UK.

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 06:30:02 AM »
Tie it in with this year's International CanonRumors Convention and we can all catch up at the cocktail party. :)
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

Flake

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »
I assume you're buying a camera & a lens?  Otherwise carrying back a body only is going to be a bit suspicious.  One way round is to conspicuously carry a camera case with a lens only in it, and then bring back the complete outfit, it'll be on CCTV that you took it out of the country with you then.  Remember that you need the camera raw disc and the manual if you're going to mail the packaging back.

As for Far Eastern imports taking up to three weeks, well in theory they could, but it's never taken more than a week for me, and whilst I once got stung for import tax it was an arbitary £40 and that includes a £5  handling fee.  Once this is paid though the customs can't go back & ask for more, they've charged once they don't get a second go!

In the US there are states which charge sales tax, and states which don't, the price might be quoted as $3000 but then the sales tax will be applied at what ever rate that is  (New York is 4%).  You can check the sales tax here:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 06:40:12 AM »
Which country are you from?
I have visited many European countries with cameras and they never bother to see it for duty.

nameless

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 06:41:52 AM »

You could just fly to Zurich (Switzerland). Its a 1h flight which will cost you around 200Euros (AirFrance or Swiss) and in Zurich you get the camera for 3399.- CHF (= 2820 Euro). You should also consider, that sales taxes are included in the swiss price, but not in the us price

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 06:41:52 AM »