July 29, 2014, 04:57:54 PM

Author Topic: Who's in for a trip to the US ?  (Read 10091 times)

Drama79

Re: Who's in for a trip to the US ?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 06:57:22 AM »
Mail the packaging home, carry the camera home in your carry-on.

THAT'S actually a great idea ... just carrying the bill, in case, and fitting the camera inside my hand-luggage to make it look like I just brought it for the trip. Amazing and really tempting ... !

But of course, if you carry the bill, it proves it was bought overseas. Mail the bill with the packaging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 06:57:22 AM »

alipaulphotography

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 07:23:00 AM »
Also very much considering this option. I'm from the UK and the camera is retailed at £3000. A bit excessive. I've bought compact cameras abroad before as mine broke while I was out there and didn't get checked at all. I've never been checked carrying camera gear infact and it has been through the scanners many times.

Empty camera bag with a lens. Buy the camera on the first day and use it for all your travel pictures. Post back box. Take camera in your carry on bag with all your travel photos and lens attached. I can't imagine any problems at all. Free trip to the US. Done.

bbe

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 07:25:38 AM »
take some pictures at home and leave them on your cf. Bring the cf to the states (or zurich)
In case they want to see the camera show them pictures you took home on a previous date on the new camera of course .....

alipaulphotography

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
take some pictures at home and leave them on your cf. Bring the cf to the states (or zurich)
In case they want to see the camera show them pictures you took home on a previous date on the new camera of course .....

You're so wise.

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:38 AM »
I hope customs ain’t reading all these comments you lot!!
If so they will be training up special 5DIII sniffer dogs at the moment  ;D

Good luck

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 07:38:47 AM »
I dont know how much international travel you guys do but you are MUCH more likely to get pulled and quizzed by customs at an airport than something coming in the mail so if you really want to reduce risk of getting pinged order it from hong kong like digital rev or one of the other good dealers.
APS-H Fanboy

sphax

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »
I dont know how much international travel you guys do but you are MUCH more likely to get pulled and quizzed by customs at an airport than something coming in the mail so if you really want to reduce risk of getting pinged order it from hong kong like digital rev or one of the other good dealers.

Within the last three years I took the plane something like 25 times, including 5 times outside European Union, everytime with either 50D or 7D in the hand-luggage, and I've NEVER been asked for the bill or any kind of justification. Having inside your HAND LUGGAGE really helps I think, just behave nice at the controls it's really easy. Though I never took the box with me of course.

Hell, I just can't believe that 3499$ = 3499€ so I figured some things out :

- with today's rate, 3499$ = 2662,50€
- difference with european pricing is = 836,50€
- three days trip from Paris to NY, including flights and hotel is approximately 700€

You could just fly to Zurich (Switzerland). Its a 1h flight which will cost you around 200Euros (AirFrance or Swiss) and in Zurich you get the camera for 3399.- CHF (= 2820 Euro). You should also consider, that sales taxes are included in the swiss price, but not in the us price

That's also a great idea and as I live in Grenoble Switzerland is even really close to me ... I didn't know they had such a low-prices 5DmkIII out there ... ! I'll consider going there by car then, I've never been controlled either that way !! But I have to consider fees on my credit card also 'cos I'll be paying in CHF... Ah ! Have to figure it out !!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 08:07:03 AM »

pp77

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 08:10:34 AM »

- three days trip from Paris to NY, including flights and hotel is approximately 700€

You could just fly to Zurich (Switzerland). Its a 1h flight which will cost you around 200Euros (AirFrance or Swiss) and in Zurich you get the camera for 3399.- CHF (= 2820 Euro). You should also consider, that sales taxes are included in the swiss price, but not in the us price

Canon.ch lists the mkIII for 3998,00 CHF. Where can you get this camera for 3399,00 CHF in Zürich? It is just a 2 hours drive from where I live. It could be worth a try, nevertheless I have been check thoroughly a few times by the German customs when coming back from Switzerland.
And yes, they check the serial numbers of cameras to find out where it was bought, they like to check for new electronics especially at airports.

sphax

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:40 AM »

Canon.ch lists the mkIII for 3998,00 CHF. Where can you get this camera for 3399,00 CHF in Zürich? It is just a 2 hours drive from where I live. It could be worth a try, nevertheless I have been check thoroughly a few times by the German customs when coming back from Switzerland.
And yes, they check the serial numbers of cameras to find out where it was bought, they like to check for new electronics especially at airports.

Yes, this is also the price I heard out there ... so i'm also interested about the 3400CHF place !!!!
And I found a really easier way than going to NY actually : as I have a relative living in Switzerland, I could send her the money, she'd buy with her Swiss credit card the 5DmkIII and offer it to me ... that way I can cross the border with a gift from my relative instead of an item bought in a foreign country ... OMG I'M SO GLAD I POSTED THAT HERE !!!! :)

nameless

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »
I dont know if i am allowed to post a link, but anyway:
http://www.digitec.ch/?param=toppreise&wert=235562

There are many others, which sell it at that price, but Digitec is great, because you can pick the things up at one of their stores.
Check out: http://en.toppreise.ch/prod_268317.html

sphax

« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »

There are many others, which sell it at that price, but Digitec is great, because you can pick the things up at one of their stores.

OMG GREAT ! Thanks a lot !

Frank209

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 08:40:26 AM »

*calling the unkle living in Lugano..*

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »
I've flow with a new loewpro bag full of new camera gear, lenses, 1D IV bodies, flashes no one cared, all they gave a S___ about was checking for explosive residue on every part.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:50 AM »

sphax

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 09:14:54 AM »
I've flow with a new loewpro bag full of new camera gear, lenses, 1D IV bodies, flashes no one cared, all they gave a S___ about was checking for explosive residue on every part.

Yep, exactly true. Take it in your hand luggage and all they ask is "can you please take your camera out the bag please sir ?" ... you do it, they scan it, you put it back in and here you go. Never had any control.

jalbfb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »

+1  In New York, you will have city and state taxes added on.  I don't live there so I am not sure what that total would be, but my guess is about 7+% (NY'ers help me out).  Fortunately, the state I do live in has no state sales tax so anything I order and have shipped (I usually select free shipping) costs nothing additional. I'm sorry the price where you live is so jacked up.  But I'm sure the US would love to have all of you come over and spend money here to help out our economy.  ;)
Happy owner of the 5D Mark III, 24-105 f/4L and other L lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 09:21:06 AM »