October 23, 2014, 09:09:59 AM

Author Topic: Canon 30D to 5D Mark III - Too big of a jump? (advice please)  (Read 7950 times)

lexonio

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 30D to 5D Mark III - Too big of a jump? (advice please)
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »
Ramon, I'm in the situation that is like your friend's. I am still planning to go 5d mkiii - it's the camera I will use for many years in the future, it's one hell of a camera (well, according to early reviews). The problem I face is that I'll have to adapt realizing that I will be carrying 4k$ worth of equipment around. I think that's the only trouble really. If he can afford it and feels comfortable carrying such expensive equipment around, he should definitely get it.

5d mk III >>> 30D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:15:50 PM »

Flake

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:20:46 PM »
In what way might it be too big a jump?  The basics of photography remain the same, so as long as he can control the 30D properly nothing much changes.  He should be aware though that depth of field at f/4 is not the same on FF as it is on crop for a frame filling image, and all of us are going to have to learn the complexities of a very advanced auto focus system.

He should also be aware that this level of camera is not going to appreciate cheap lenses, so everything is going to cost a bit more.  As has been said, no built in flash so better budget for one.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:35:17 PM »
I have a close friend who needs some advice about the possible purchase of the new 5D Mark III.

He currently has a Canon 30D and has been using it for quite some time, he has just enough in his bank savings for the 5D Mark III Kit.

Is it too much of a "jump" for him to purchase the 5D Mark III?

Your thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

If your friend is serious about photography and really want to get advanced, then yes, the 5d3 will be one heck of a jump and will be a lot to learn, but can do nothing but help him.  If he's at all hesitant or more into photography as a hobby, the 7D or 5d2 would be plenty upgrade for him to develop his skills and prepare himself for a 5d3 or 5d4 down the road and allow him to allocate funds to picking up lenses as well. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

thehallway

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
The problem I face is that I'll have to adapt realizing that I will be carrying 4k$ worth of equipment around.

My thoughts too  :)  I'm not a pro, but I just preordered the 5DIII to replace my 40D.  I've been wanting to go full frame since the first year I had the 40D.  It's a lot of money, but I know I won't need another camera for a long time.  We also won't need to buy the HD video camera we've been thinking about getting.  Selling the 40D and kit lens will hopefully put a small dent in the cost.   

Brendon

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Site
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:45 PM »
Ramon, I'm in the situation that is like your friend's. I am still planning to go 5d mkiii - it's the camera I will use for many years in the future, it's one hell of a camera (well, according to early reviews). The problem I face is that I'll have to adapt realizing that I will be carrying 4k$ worth of equipment around. I think that's the only trouble really. If he can afford it and feels comfortable carrying such expensive equipment around, he should definitely get it.

5d mk III >>> 30D

This is a very good point, but the recuring cost of an insurance policy should be considered as well.

Also, your friend should consider the potential cost of computer and storage upgrades that may be needed.  If he/she was processing 30d photos with a 3 or 4 year old computer, they aren't going to be very happy when it takes 30 seconds to load a single 5diii image!  Data storage/backup needs are going to go up by 3-4x too.   

Orion

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 01:43:59 PM »
I have a 30D. . . . and I'll be shooting my first wedding this April!

I WILL purchase a 5DmkIII (or possibly rent a 1Dx)! Bringing 3 strobes too. .  . maybe a Einstein with PLM (have to worry about shipping it with me???????????)

Since we have a mid to late March availability, I will go in-store to purchase instead of pre-order.

I'll try to do my best to compliment the style of Jeff Ascough (love it!), and will plan on practicing with the 5DmkIII for a couple of weeks just to get a sense and feel for menues and what to expect from ISO and AF, etc etc etc.

By all means jump right in and don't look back. . . .

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »
I sold my 30D and got a 5D mk2 in December. It has been a very easy transition with no big surprises. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:00:32 PM »

5dmk.iii

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
This is a good problem to have. Apart from larger files and slower computer access, I do not see much in the way to be concerned. My problem with my current body 12mp is that if I load more that 100 RAW/s from my CF card on to Lightroom, all RAM isused up and system slows down as the swapfile on the HDD is used... Today I spent $120 and fixed that. I upgraded from 6GB RAM to 24GB.

Look at my name, .....

I used to be called a 20D before.  :P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:28:38 PM by 5dmk.iii »

Drama79

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »
I can't believe my post was deleted!

What I was trying to point out was that we didn't have enough info to help. BUT - as others have said - there's no such thing as "too big a jump". If it suits his needs (does he shoot video and pics? or just pics? landscapes? portraits? etc etc) then he should research the camera that suits him best, and if he has the cash, buy it. No one should be afraid of upgrading their kit because it might be hard to learn - that's half the fun of new kit!

Also, the point about related tech is good - ensure you have a PC / Mac and software that can handle the data you're creating.

Honestly, you try and have a little fun....!

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
This is a very good point, but the recuring cost of an insurance policy should be considered as well
Yeah, and that insurance is cheap. It costs me about $50/yr to insure all of my equipment (about $5000 worth) through State Farm, so I'm not super worried about it breaking or being stolen. It would suck, but, I wouldn't be out that money.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »

5d mk III >>> 30D

A good insurance policy makes you worry alot less :D
APS-H Fanboy

darrellrhodesmiller

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
i went from an Xsi to a 7D.. the learning curve on the 7D was substantial.. it took me much longer to adapt to it than i expected. i cant really explain it.. but the 7d seems much less forgiving than the xsi.. meaning i really have to meter correctly.. and have the settings right to get the shot i want... maybe the xsi was just as unforgiving and i just didnt notice.. also.. the 7D really does like or need good quality glass on it.. the 5D mkIII will be no different. lastly.. the RAW files on the 7D are significantly bigger than the Xsi's.. so my computer was capable.. but my storage needs required me to buy external storage..

i totally think going from the 30D to a 5dmkIII is fine.. but expect a learning curve.. dont plan on shooting a wedding the day after you receive it.. its going to take some practice and adjustment.

Ryan708

• EOS M2
  • Less bickering, more shooting
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »
I went from a canon T1i to a 60d (not a huge jump) and was expecting it to be 2nd nature right away. It didnt take long for me to adjust, but I was actually mad at the way the 60d had no direct button to acess WB or picture style. I guess I'm expected to shoot in raw more often. I assigned the "set" button for picture style and left the "Q" button hovering over WB, and that got me on track, but it still took a week of use before I was not fumbling for where certain buttons used to be. I think no matter what UPGRADE I could make I would be happy! I sold my T1i to a friend and when I pick it up to play with it now "yuck" goes through my thoughts. (not outloud tho :-P)
60D, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4, Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 VC, EF 50mm 1.8II, and a Sigma EF-610 DG superflash

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 07:30:10 PM »

mjp

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 08:21:05 PM »
I went from a Pentax K10D to a 7D & 5DII and felt the learning curve wasn't too bad. The same basic functions will be there and from then on it is just a matter of getting comfortable with the feel and additional features and trying to create interesting photos. Is he certain the camera will be used often? I ask because it's a lot of money to spend on something you will use only a few times a month or on holidays. A less expensive option (60D, 7D) might be suitable if this is the case.

YellowJersey

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
I don't think it's too much of a jump. I went from a 10D to a 5D 1 and the transition was excellent. I'll be going from the 5D 1 to the 5D 3 and I'm quite pleased with the jump in specs.

If I were your friend, the only thing that would make me hesitate would be the price. You said your friend has just enough to buy the kit. If I were your friend, I'd also consider the 5D mkII kit as a potential alternative.

That being said, I have the 24-105 and I LOVE it. It's a fantastic lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »