April 17, 2014, 12:41:48 AM

Author Topic: Wide angle zoom L lenses from Canon in the future. Thoughts??  (Read 5396 times)

00Q

Just sold my lovily Sigma 8-16mm and bought a 16-35 Mk I as Im getting closer to FF. Just waiting for the 5DMKII price to drop now.

I have been reading reviews and it seems that the 16-35 MKI and MKII aren't too good. There are barrel distortion and vignetting. Optically less good than the 8-16. From what I gather, people use it because it is f/2.8 and that is what is available in the pro range. I will spend time in lightroom to correct for these.

Im just wondering what are your thoughts on the future canon wide angle zooms. It doesnt seem that one is rumoured to come out anytime soon.

canon rumors FORUM

Ellen Schmidtee

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Wide angle zoom L lenses from Canon in the future. Thoughts??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:42:12 PM »
My thoughts:

1. The EF 16-35mm f/2.8 is five years old, I don't see Canon replacing it quickly, especially as - based on photozone's reviews - the similar Nikon lenses aren't excellent either.

2. There was a Canon patent published for a 17-40mm f/2.8-4.0 lens. The 17-40mm f/4 is almost ten years old, and the 24-70mm f/2.8 was updated after ten years, so I wouldn't rule this out.

3. Nikon has a 14-24mm, Sigma released an upgraded 12-24mm, and Canon has nothing in this range. Canon might want to release something in this range.

As for lack of rumors - the 8-15mm f/4 was a surprise. There was a rumor about an ultrawide zoom, about a new f/4 L lens, but no patent or "fisheye zoom coming soon".

Brendon

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Site
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:57:39 PM »
I'm in the same boat here with the desire to upgrade from a 50d to the 5diii.  I use my sigma 10-20 on a regular occasion and will really want something to replace that range at full frame.  Unfortunately, when you look at the comparesons, the image quality of the 16-35ii doesn't blow me away compared to the simga cropframer and the cost of the canon is nearly 4x!  Of course the f2.8 is nice ;-)

I've been looking at the sigma 12-24mm but the inability to use filters for landscape (particulary when including water) is a non-starter.  A polarizer and ND filter kit is an essential!

00Q

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
I'm in the same boat here with the desire to upgrade from a 50d to the 5diii.  I use my sigma 10-20 on a regular occasion and will really want something to replace that range at full frame.  Unfortunately, when you look at the comparesons, the image quality of the 16-35ii doesn't blow me away compared to the simga cropframer and the cost of the canon is nearly 4x!  Of course the f2.8 is nice ;-)

I've been looking at the sigma 12-24mm but the inability to use filters for landscape (particulary when including water) is a non-starter.  A polarizer and ND filter kit is an essential!

Ive had a look at that sigma 12-24 lens. I think you can put filters at the back.

Still, looking at the photos, MK I or MKII from the sigma 12-24, Im not blown away by it. I conclude that it must be difficult to make a nice wide angle, and esp for FF bodies.

CanonLITA

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:19 PM »
I conclude that it must be difficult to make a nice wide angle, and esp for FF bodies.

I agree, when it comes to zoom wide lenses. Still the one thing I envy from Nikon is their 12-24.

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:08:44 PM »
Hate to reference Ken Dopewell, but he says the Tokina 16-28, Canon 20-35L, and Tokina 17mm/3.5 (fixed information) are all very good.

I have the 17-40L and it is decent. It has beautiful colors. Are you shooting full-frame or sub FF? IF so, the 10-22 is pretty damn good (I had it on my 40d) and the Tokina 12-24 was good, as well.
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

Arkarch

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »
Thanks, great topic.

I have the 10-22 EF-S and yes, its time to get the EF equivalent as I move up to FF.  Makes no sense to have a wide on a crop if you got a FF. 

Mixed reviews on the Canon 16-35.  I can cover the top half of that with the apparently very excellent and new 24-70 II. 

But for everything under 20mm ....  maybe primes are the answer?  I think most of my wide shooting is at crop 10 or 12, and rarely in the middle.
Landscape, Motorsports
5DIII, 7D, CPS Member
EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 03:42:45 PM »

jwong

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:48:50 PM »
Thanks, great topic.

I have the 10-22 EF-S and yes, its time to get the EF equivalent as I move up to FF.  Makes no sense to have a wide on a crop if you got a FF. 

Mixed reviews on the Canon 16-35.  I can cover the top half of that with the apparently very excellent and new 24-70 II. 

But for everything under 20mm ....  maybe primes are the answer?  I think most of my wide shooting is at crop 10 or 12, and rarely in the middle.

Primes under 20mm are very expensive, more expensive than the 16-35L II.  The 20mm gets poorer reviews than the 16-35L II, and the 14mm and 17mm TS/E are much more expensive than the 16-35L.  The 17mm TS/E also has a max aperture of f/4 and is manual focus.  The 16-35L II takes filters in the front while all L primes wider than 24mm can't due to their protruding front elements.

I'd rather Canon redesign the existing 16-35L II rather than trying to match Nikon's range of 14-24mm.  The overlap of 24-35mm is great because it results in a lot fewer lens changes and is more useful indoors, and Canon has more patents to work with in the 16-35 range.  Plus I can't see them killing off the 14mm.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:02:16 PM »
I recall reading a Canon reply to someone asking about the 16-35mm L about 6 months after Nikon introduced their 14-24,, lens.  Canon basically said that it was intended for PJ's. I assumed that by that, they meant it was to give 1.3 crop users a wide zoom.  At that time, there were not so many Canon FF bodies around.

IMHO, it is time now, with all the very popular Canon FF bodies to produce a superior super wide lens.  The big question is, who will be willing to cough up $3K a copy? Not I.

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
I'd rather Canon redesign the existing 16-35L II rather than trying to match Nikon's range of 14-24mm.  The overlap of 24-35mm is great because it results in a lot fewer lens changes and is more useful indoors, and Canon has more patents to work with in the 16-35 range.  Plus I can't see them killing off the 14mm.

I'd be happy with a 16-35 with the edge to edge sharpness of the Nikon 14-24. Thats what interests me about the Nikon, even more than the focal length, yeah 14mm would be nice but a Canon Ultra wide with a full sharp image would be so much nicer than a new 14-(whatever)mm Canon with soft edges...

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 09:48:21 PM »
IMHO, I don't think the solution for UW zoom is quite there yet.

Aside from inevitable distortion, there's also the question of filters (or the lack of them) for these top UW lenses in the market today. The 14mm, 17mm TS-E,  and Nikon's 14-24mm all have that protruding elements, and you'll have to make some hard choices when rain starts falling from the sky.

At least the 16-35mm f/2.8LII can take filter...
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 09:58:09 PM »
I love my 16-35 II distortion is a non issue as its easily corrected using lens correction
I also find vignetting is not that significant even on full frame
APS-H Fanboy

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »
To me Nikon's range seems a little backwards, as great as the 14-24mm is do most users need f/2.8? doesnt really seem vital to me for whats going to most commonly be a landscape lens while it adds alot to the weight/price and perhaps hurts the flare resistance aswell?

A 14-24mm f/4 IS seems like it would be ideal for many people to me, espeically if Canon looked to introduce some kind of filter system into the design(drop ins or perhaps a screw off hood  that leaves a filter ring rather than a fixed one?) rather than just leaving it to 3rd parties to come up with overly expensive alternatives.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 12:32:41 AM »

AdamJ

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 03:45:02 AM »
To me Nikon's range seems a little backwards, as great as the 14-24mm is do most users need f/2.8? doesnt really seem vital to me for whats going to most commonly be a landscape lens while it adds alot to the weight/price and perhaps hurts the flare resistance aswell?

A 14-24mm f/4 IS seems like it would be ideal for many people to me, espeically if Canon looked to introduce some kind of filter system into the design(drop ins or perhaps a screw off hood  that leaves a filter ring rather than a fixed one?) rather than just leaving it to 3rd parties to come up with overly expensive alternatives.

I use the Sigma 12-24 mostly for landscapes and cityscapes and I've so far never needed a wider aperture than its f4.5-5.6.

The Sigma has a two-piece lens cap as you describe but it's pointless because leaving the section with the filter thread on the lens causes massive vignetting on FF. I guess it might work with a crop camera, though. The lens accepts rear gel filters but you obviously can't use polarisers. That's really its only downside.

briansquibb

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »

As for lack of rumors - the 8-15mm f/4 was a surprise. There was a rumor about an ultrawide zoom, about a new f/4 L lens, but no patent or "fisheye zoom coming soon".

I bought one of these recently and it is breathtakingly good.

This is my fisheye so I am still exploring its artistic capabilities. At the moment I am going for portraits with some sucess. I am finding the range 12-15 the most useful for 'normal' pictures.

I will post some pictures when I am happy.

Brian

PS Hardest thing is to keep the tripod legs out of frame :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 04:13:44 AM »