April 17, 2014, 12:31:52 AM

Author Topic: IPAD 3 = Lame  (Read 11163 times)

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: IPAD 3 = Lame
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »
. The iPad has changed the whole experience. A PC/MAC needs time to boot, has keyboard, whereas the iPad (or any tablet) just appears when you whip it out.

i think you meant "SSDs" here instead of Apple...  It takes 15 seconds to boot my laptop, including post into windows with 0% cpu utilization. 

And I think your comparison might be flawed... iOS takes forever to boot up on my iPhone 3GS.  Typically though your ipad/tablet/iphone is always on so it doesn't really boot.
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 01:58:24 AM »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:51 AM »
IPad was not designed as a workhorse. It's rather a presentation tool than interface for storage or serious photo manipulation device. I hate all the restrictions and stupid compromises in IOS like iTunes synchronization (like: "...this action  will remove all your existing photos with new ones"...) or lack of true USB support.
On the other hand, if you store your photo library on Mac with iPhoto (ie. with faces reocgnition), then it's a great accompanying iPhoto app on iPad (ie. with photos categorized by people after being recognized and categorized on mac first), but rather for viewing not editing. That's the philosophy though.
I think that market for such specialized apps like HDMI screen for DSLRs is not big enough to support it by Apple. And again let's not forget, that lack of some useful apps for EOS support on iPad is not because of Apple's policy, but rather Canon's restrictions - no development library for IOS. If Canon doesn't see a potential in it, why Apple would?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:40:03 AM by marekjoz »
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

kdsand

• EOS M2
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 03:18:04 AM »
I can't believe what I'm hearing.

I have a toshiba thrive. I have a full size usb port, a full size sd card slot, hdmi port and a spare battery. I don't need a keyboard dock because my bluetooth microsoft keyboard works fine with this tablet. Purchasing adapters has been a non issue for me.
While tethered I can control my camera and use live view or I can review the raw pictures. Since I have a 60 d I can shoot even shoot straight raw and later convert to JPEG in camera so I can view the jpegs on my tablet by simply transferring the sd card.

dslr controller was just about the first app I bought. :D

Life is good people there are options!
 :)
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 04:35:43 AM »
its lame, so 5d iii.

I preordered both products this week and both on their third generations  :P

good for u champ.

Octavian

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 04:59:01 AM »
I havent used one but just get something like this:
http://www.digitalfoci.com/photo_safe.html

You can also by a camera connection kit on ebay for 7 euro or so they have USB and SD but I think iOS supports reading only.

leGreve

• Rebel T5i
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 05:11:05 AM »
I still can't get over the fact that they didn't make regional 4G hardware...... there's absolutely no incentive to buy the iPad 3 unless you just want larger resolution. The 4G is tuned for the states, and since a lot of countries used a different bandwidth we can't utilize the 4G part of the pad... might as well just buy a used iPad 2 instead.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

AG

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 05:45:51 AM »
The OP doesn't need an iPad3 he needs an 11" Macbook Air.

It does everything he needs, plus it can run the canon software for live view on larger monitor.

Hang as bigger usb drive off of that as you can find.

Plus its size is small and light enough. the only thing you would be missing would be the 3/4G connection, but thats why you just tether to your iPhone via personal hotspot.

An all in one solution thats more than powerful enough for 90% of photographers out there looking at a tablet.
Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 05:45:51 AM »

kdsand

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 06:04:24 AM »
The OP doesn't need an iPad3 he needs an 11" Macbook Air.

It does everything he needs, plus it can run the canon software for live view on larger monitor.

Hang as bigger usb drive off of that as you can find.

Plus its size is small and light enough. the only thing you would be missing would be the 3/4G connection, but thats why you just tether to your iPhone via personal hotspot.

An all in one solution thats more than powerful enough for 90% of photographers out there looking at a tablet.
As long as you can get the cover to be touch sensitive & fold back on itself.
Indeed a keeper.
 ;D

MarkB

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 06:30:02 AM »
I don't know how much utility a tablet tether would really bring.  Sounds like a tangle of cables and lots of opportunities for drops.  I agree just get an air if you need to tether.  I use my MacBook Pro 15" and a dual head tripod bar.  The quad core processors and antiglare screen make it an awesome studio solution, with instant workstation power if need  be.

In all truthfulness, I was Pleasantly surprised that the iPad2 could handle RAW files from my 60D.  I tried it initially with an EyeFi card but it was tooooooo slow and unreliable.   In the end I just used the camera connectivity kit.  I took a 2 week vaca in Hawaii last year and really didn't want to lug the laptop and assorted cables and adapters so I just used the iPad.  The video editing and photo processing was surprisingly good.  In fact there are two landscape shots that I was actually unable to get as appealing in LR as in Snapseed on the iPad

I have ordered the new iPad.  The high res screen on the iPhone4/4s is hypnotic.  I can't imagine it at iPad size.  4g LTE is a bonus too I suppose.

Fandongo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 06:50:24 AM »
IPad was not designed as a workhorse. It's rather a presentation tool than interface for storage or serious photo manipulation device. I hate all the restrictions and stupid compromises in IOS like iTunes synchronization (like: "...this action  will remove all your existing photos with new ones"...) or lack of true USB support.
On the other hand, if you store your photo library on Mac with iPhoto (ie. with faces reocgnition), then it's a great accompanying iPhoto app on iPad (ie. with photos categorized by people after being recognized and categorized on mac first), but rather for viewing not editing. That's the philosophy though.
I think that market for such specialized apps like HDMI screen for DSLRs is not big enough to support it by Apple. And again let's not forget, that lack of some useful apps for EOS support on iPad is not because of Apple's policy, but rather Canon's restrictions - no development library for IOS. If Canon doesn't see a potential in it, why Apple would?

Horsephallus.  They both know damn well their products are perfect complements. 
Lets see, buy a $500 5" monitor (plus external batteries and other accessories), or spend less for a computer, with a 10" screen, built in battery, wifi, 4g.

Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid.

If it had HDMI or Thunderbolt in, they could market new tiny portable HDDs and SSDs (w/HDMI/TB)so you could...get this, actually watch your movie collection (which obviously exceeds 64GBs) on that gorgeous new screen.
It would also be an incredible tool for dumping footage... If Canon didn't skimp on the TB.

But check it out...
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/seagate-adapter-hits-hard-drives-with-a-thunderbolt/
Sweet jumping titties!!!  Only $190 extra per desktop external!
$150 for the sonnet 3/4 adapter, something Apple phased out (except 17"... for now) for a stupid SD slot.  I frequent the SD, and it's still the stupidest decision ever made by humans.

Our masterful mastery of mass production doesn't appear to be working...though, licensing sure does.
They market TB for "professionals" so they can get away with it.
Load of crap.

The technology within TB does sound intense and a bit expensive, but why steer it toward pros when you could forcefully phase out everything else?  (Think one-port electronics with mini squid adapters to any antique ports you need)
13 months.  Not long in Earth years I suppose, but this could very well be the last wired wire used by humans for these purposes.

Nobody will run with it.  They sit around and hesitate (raising consumer speculation), finally release and overcharge (causing consumer apathy).
I trusted Apple, Intel, and Canon to take it to the limit.  So far, they've come up flaccid.

Maybe if we all start quietly chanting Ivy Bridge, Ivy Bridge...
"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

illogict

• PowerShot G16
  • Enlightener
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 06:56:02 AM »
As for me, I use Archos' tablets: USB host port, 250GB hard drive option (which is quite nice to dump memory cards to), with DSLR Controller which is quite nice, and the 8" one fits perfectly on the back pocket of my Domke F-5XC (even though I prefer and use the 7").

Well worth having a look!
Canon EOS 500D — EF 20mm f/2.8 USM, 28mm f/1.8 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM — EF-S 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS — Lensbaby Composer Pro, Double Glass — 2×Speedlite 540EZ, 2×430EZ — Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom + Ballhead X — Domke F-5XC

Fandongo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:17 AM »

Tethered and liveview would be a killer app.

You've been able to do this from Android devices for a while now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller

This is my exact point, USB host functionality is integral to the rise of tablets If Apple keep a ceiling on the development Android are going to eat them alive since they dont have the same dogmatic limitations
Unfortunately its a hardware thing so even jailbreaking it wont help :(

I love the way iOS do alot of things but other than the nice screen an ipad essentially does nothing more than my iphone can so i see no benefit in having one. although browsing CR is a little tough on the small screen of the phone i'll admit that

Sadly, USB 2.0 lags too much for useful video liveview.

And that app doesn't work on Android devices.  It works on SOME Android devices, meaning not my phone.

:(
"There is no good and evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »
I thought I was going to buy one but I decided to wait for windows 8. I can't keep buying a tablet and then a laptop to do work. I need something that serves as both and donesn't have to deal with sync and document fragmentation issues. It seems apple won't be delivering that 1 device.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 07:59:58 AM »

kdsand

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 08:10:40 AM »
I don't know how much utility a tablet tether would really bring.  Sounds like a tangle of cables and lots of opportunities for drops.  I agree just get an air if you need to tether.

I'm not sure what you're picturing when you say a tangle of cables. The tether uses 1 cable -  that's 1 individual cable - it's plural -  singular - less than two & more than zero. Why would a 10 inch tablet be more difficult to hold than a laptop?
 ??? ???

Neeneko

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »
Well, if we are going to rag on Apple, I'm still mad that they refuse to play nice with Flash.

You can have a beautifully designed website that shows off your work and then, if you want to show it to someone using an iPad the thing either won't work or you have to have it default to a second- or third-rate presentation.  Worst part is, there is no legitimate reason for Apple to cripple their OS by refusing to play with Flash.

Actually, having worked with embedded systems trying to support flash, I can attest that there is a very good reason to cripple Flash.  Adobe are dicks.

I am actually being serious.  The Flash VM is optimized for a desktop environment with RAM and swap to spare.  Adobe, in the past at least, had shown very little interest in making it work well in any other environment and were extremely unhelpful in trying to make the experience anything other then crap.  Unfortunately what then happens is people blame the embedded manufacturer since it 'works fine on their desktop/laptop'.

So the customer gets a bad experience, the manufacturer gets blamed, and Adobe doesn't care.  When I heard Apple was not going to support Flash I actually kinda cheered in a vengeance sort of way.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 08:39:13 AM »