September 16, 2014, 11:34:07 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III - Sandisk or Lexar CF Cards  (Read 15012 times)

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III - Sandisk or Lexar CF Cards
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »
I just bought a 32GB 90MB/s Sandisk CF card and a 95MB/s SDHC card and had heard about missues with older card readers and some of the new cards (UDMA 6/7 and UHS-1) so I initially had the Sandisk in the cart but eh then stumbled on a USB 3.0 'Transcend USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader RDF8'. I have been using a Transcend reader for years and never had an issues so I thought I would try it it out. It costs less than half what the Sandisk goes for too. I have not tried it out as my order has not arrived yet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/815153-REG/Transcend_TS_RDF8K_USB_3_0_Multi_Card.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 07:06:35 AM »

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11:27 AM »
The price difference is $100 for a 32GB 60MB/s card or $160 for the 90MB/s version. Do I really need the faster of the two?

I could also get the 32GB 95MB/s SDHC Sandisk instead or in addition to the above card. Is there any reason the SDHC card slot would be slower than the CF slot in the 5D3?

The CF slot really seems to be the "primary" on the 5DIII; it will drive a UDMA 7 card and there is a significant increase in performance.  IF you are a fps hound...  Unfortunately, the only SanDisk CF UDMA 7 card right now is their 128GB $695 bank-breaker...  I won't use Lexar cards any more - had one of their "pro" cards glitch up in my camera and lost an entire shoot.  Never had a problem with a SanDisk card...

The SD card slot is slower on the 5DIII because it is not enabled for UHS-1.  You can put an Extreme Pro card in it, but without the UHS-1 technology it will default down to either 30MB/s or 45MB/s - can't remember which one at the moment...
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

photophreek

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 08:16:16 AM »
Jamsey wrote:

My main system is a laptop running XP Pro, which I need for some legacy software but USB 3.0 is the better way to go from a future proofing standpoint.

I suspect that your legacy Win XP system is running on a MB that has a bus rate that is less than the speeds of a USB 3 reader.  As a result, using a USB 3 reader on an older system will only realize USB 2 speeds.  I run a legacy XP system which will be upgraded soon when Windows 8 is relesed and adding a USB 3 reader to my current system is a waste of money because my bus speed on my MB will only support USB 2 speeds.

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:26:44 AM »
I use 65 bit Win Ultimate 7 and a Delkin USB 3 link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764367-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDREADER_42_USB_3_0_Universal_Memory.html

The reader has worked for 6 months without any issues and it reads at and above card specs.  It really speeds up file transfer and highly recommended!

I have problems with canon 7D reading Transcend 32GB 600X but the readed has no problems.  All my other cards are Sandisk Extreme IV (45mb/s), Sandisk Ultra (30 mb/s) and have no problems.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
I use 65 bit Win Ultimate 7 and a Delkin USB 3 link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764367-REG/Delkin_Devices_DDREADER_42_USB_3_0_Universal_Memory.html

The reader has worked for 6 months without any issues and it reads at and above card specs.  It really speeds up file transfer and highly recommended!

I have problems with canon 7D reading Transcend 32GB 600X but the readed has no problems.  All my other cards are Sandisk Extreme IV (45mb/s), Sandisk Ultra (30 mb/s) and have no problems.
Understood. My XP system only has USB 2.0. I am not trying to squeeze more performance out of it in terms of speed but there was a question about the UDMA cards functioning with an older reader, that is why6 I got the new reader. I also have a little Asus 1501 system which is essentially a  PVR which I can test the transfer speed of the USB 3.0 on.

Off topic, I have been copying files to the XP box, converting them to DNG and importing them into LR. I think I will be building a new 'photo processing' box over the coming months, once the credit card recovers from the 5D3 launch ;)

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
... stumbled on a USB 3.0 'Transcend USB 3.0 Multi Card Reader RDF8'.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/815153-REG/Transcend_TS_RDF8K_USB_3_0_Multi_Card.html
My order just arrived here at work. Interesting, the reader has a USB 3.0 cable included and a proprietary figure-8 style connector on the card reader side. I was expecting a standard micro or mini connector. Has anyone seen this approach on other card readers (proprietray or off-standard connector)?

Jettatore

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »
I have this card.  http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Compact-Flash-Card-400X/dp/B002WE4H8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334940349&sr=8-1

I did a search before I bought it and it got as good or better reviews than the more expensive cards in all categories including speed and reliability (at least for my purposes of maxing out a 7D's FPS and video performance).  Mine has been rock solid.  I just ordered a second one to put in my 2nd body.  Let me try to find that review site for you.  Edit: here it is, http://sportsphotoguy.com/all-about-cf/

If you are planning to get some ridiculously more expensive card, I would get this one first and test it vs. Canon's advertised max FPS speed.  It captures shots at what appears to be (without some crazy timed test) 100% of what the 7D is capable of, which is to say, extremely fast, and does great for video for me so far as well, no dropped frames to date.  Nothing but flawless performance to this posting (knock on wood, but I'm not sure I even need to with this one)  I have the 32GB model.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:07:07 PM by Jettatore »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »

Rofflesaurrr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 01:39:34 PM »

My order just arrived here at work. Interesting, the reader has a USB 3.0 cable included and a proprietary figure-8 style connector on the card reader side. I was expecting a standard micro or mini connector. Has anyone seen this approach on other card readers (proprietray or off-standard connector)?

It's actually not a proprietary connection. It is the standard Micro USB 3.0 connection. It's wider to make room for the additional contacts that are required. It is also designed to be backwards compatible. You can plug a normal micro USB 2.0 cable into one side of. the port, although you will only get USB 2.0 speeds. Search google for a USB 3.0 A to Micro B cable if you need a longer one.  I bought mine through DigiKey. Cables to Go is a good source for them too.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 01:50:57 PM »

It's actually not a proprietary connection. It is the standard Micro USB 3.0 connection. It's wider to make room for the additional contacts that are required. It is also designed to be backwards compatible. You can plug a normal micro USB 2.0 cable into one side of. the port, although you will only get USB 2.0 speeds. Search google for a USB 3.0 A to Micro B cable if you need a longer one.  I bought mine through DigiKey. Cables to Go is a good source for them too.
Nice - thanks for the insight. I only have one other USB 3.0 device, a hard drive dock from Thermaltake and it has a much larger connection on the peripheral side.

Good to know a standard micro cable would do in a pinch.

I have this card.  http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Compact-Flash-Card-400X/dp/B002WE4H8I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334940349&sr=8-1

I did a search before I bought it and it got as good or better reviews than the more expensive cards in all categories including speed and reliability (at least for my purposes of maxing out a 7D's FPS and video performance).  Mine has been rock solid.  I just ordered a second one to put in my 2nd body.  Let me try to find that review site for you.  Edit: here it is, http://sportsphotoguy.com/all-about-cf/

If you are planning to get some ridiculously more expensive card, I would get this one first and test it vs. Canon's advertised max FPS speed.  It captures shots at what appears to be (without some crazy timed test) 100% of what the 7D is capable of, which is to say, extremely fast, and does great for video for me so far as well, no dropped frames to date.  Nothing but flawless performance to this posting (knock on wood, but I'm not sure I even need to with this one)  I have the 32GB model.
I have some 30MB/s Sandisk 8GB Extreme III cards and will try to test them head to head with the new 90MB/s Sandisk.

BTW, the link to the Sportsphotoguy site says:
"If you have the Canon EOS 5D Mk II, this camera can take advantage of class-leading performance of the SanDisk Extreme Pro 90 MB/sec cards."

The reasons I bought the Sandisk 90MB/s was
a) reliability - I have never had issue with Sandisk cards
b) I asked in this tread and many said they were good cards
c) I wanted one of the fastest (I know the 1000x Lexars are faster) card that would not impede the camera buffer. Transferring to the computer was secondary in terms of priority.

In my brief test yesterday on my 5D3 & Sandisk 90MB/s card, I think the max burst with full size raw and - JPEG enabled, both going to the same card was 6 shots. I have a Sandisk in the second slot in a fill and spill config. It would be interesting to see if the 90MB/s card exhibits a BIG difference in performance over the 30MB/s one.

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 02:58:33 PM »
Over the years, anecdotally Lexar products have presented more problems and glitches than Sandisk. ... Sandisk is the card that has been consistently 100% stable in my experience, all the way from the 64Mb & huge 128Mb cards of a decade ago through to the 32Gb Sandisk Extreme cards that have become my current standard card.

Cards are something you never want to have to have the slightest concern about. Sandisk has the most stable reputation. I've even washed and tumble dried them in jeans pockets and they have just come back cleaner.

Paul Wright

My experience exactly.  I've had a couple issues with Lexar cards and readers (and poor support to go with it).  My experience with Sandisk has been flawless.  It's not that I would be particularly worried with a Lexar card in my DSLR but I am willing to pay a premium for Sandisk because of my positive experiences with their products.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 09:06:14 AM »

Thanks for the sources. I have found USBFever to be pretty cheap too but they are Hongkong based and have the standard three week delivery for most items. http://www.usbfever.com/index_eproduct_view.php?products_id=2555

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »

I had a lousy Lexar USB-3 reader then my present Sandisk USB-3 reader and they both run proprietary cables.

Paul Wright

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 08:39:47 AM »

I had a lousy Lexar USB-3 reader then my present Sandisk USB-3 reader and they both run proprietary cables.

Paul Wright

Hey Paul, I thought my Transcend had a proprietary cable, it turns out it is just a newer USB 3.0 micro cable as Rofflesaurrr  had pointed out.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 08:39:47 AM »