December 18, 2014, 07:38:12 AM

Author Topic: Social experimant: I do not have enough smites soooo...  (Read 12094 times)

5dmk.iii

Social experimant: I do not have enough smites soooo...
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »
I am a new member and tried to help some people out an in no time I had 3 smites... and i did not flame anyone either. Some guys probably felt sorry for me and "equalized" my "karma... but I figure whats the worst karma I can get... so as a social experiment, I thought of isolating my posts to this one and see how many smite me for it...

Watch this clip... it's a bit old, but still funny and mirrors the feelings people have about me, the 5d.mkiii  :PHitler rants about D3x

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:10:29 PM by 5dmk.iii »

canon rumors FORUM

Social experimant: I do not have enough smites soooo...
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:51:00 PM »

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
Re: Social experimant: I do not have enough smites soooo...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
Interesting! I get smitten all the time. Usually, you get smitten for stating your opinion, regardless of whether you flame or not. So, enjoy!
What is truth?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Interesting! I get smitten all the time. Usually, you get smitten for stating your opinion, regardless of whether you flame or not. So, enjoy!

There was a recent topic "should karma remain on the forum". My observation: Especially if your opinion is not "the most expensive red-ring and full frame Canon gear is always the most suitable for everyone" you're in for it :-) ... but there are enough helpful people around left to discuss with, so it doesn't matter.

jwong

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »

There was a recent topic "should karma remain on the forum". My observation: Especially if your opinion is not "the most expensive red-ring and full frame Canon gear is always the most suitable for everyone" you're in for it :-) ... but there are enough helpful people around left to discuss with, so it doesn't matter.

True, best to grow some thick skin.  On one thread where the OP wanted to RENT a midrange zoom for a APS-C body for a trip, people were suggesting the 24-70L because he could use it for full frame in the future.  I pointed out that it was a rental situation and suggested that he should pick something else.

smirkypants

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 06:44:18 PM »
I have truly grown to despise the karma system. I know the smites are meaningless in any real sense, but it makes one feel unliked. What can I say, I'm an emotional cripple. At least I don't drink too much... yet.

CrimsonBlue

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:42:14 PM »
There was a poll a few weeks ago that didn't stay up very long and had a small number of respondents.  The [small]  majority liked the system, but again -- the poll wasn't up for very long and the N was very very very small. 

To me, it seems that there are those who vehemently hate it, and those who are mostly indifferent.  Even a 30/70 split (hate/like) would indicate that it should be done away with.  It seems to take away more than it adds. 

Hopefully the mods will put it up for discussion again.  Maybe we could just have an applaud system. That would accomplish the same goal (praising those most helpful) without the silly and often arbitrary negatives.
1Ds III • 5D II • 50mm f/1.2L • 85mm f/1.2L • 24-70mm • 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II

briansquibb

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »
Someone smites me all the time regardless of whether I comment or not

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:43:11 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »

This is the only forum I am a member of that has the Karma system. Personally I think it is juvenile. If you follow a forum for more than fifteen seconds, you get to know who is full of crap and who is grand standing and who knows their stuff, without a Karma system.

For those who think it is a form of self regulation, look at other successful forums without the Karma system - they run just fine. On those forums, the general membership does not tolerate flamers running amok - they quickly get run outta town.

I think CR would be a better place with it. Just my two cents...

P.S.
5dmk.iii - I have seen this clip before and it is better then second time around! Applause to you!

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:57:02 PM »
That's the same for me - but people read old posts too, I guess that where it might originate from.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
I also don't think it teaches people a lesson - as it has been said by others in this post, you don't even know what you have been smited for - unless you just  unleashed a total flam-o-gram rant on someone of course. Furthermore it is totally anonymous, which lacks any form of accountability.

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:05:37 PM »

They're just jealous of all your equipment :) I think it's gear envy.

As for the karma system, put me in the indifferent/apathetic category. Some of the most helpful, respectful, and experienced photogs on here have the most smites, which tells you that the karma system is a complete joke. Unfortunately, lots of people hit the smite button to restore their self-esteem whenever someone hurts their wittle feelings with an opinion that's different for their own.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:30:30 PM by V8Beast »

smirkypants

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
I also don't think it teaches people a lesson - as it has been said by others in this post, you don't even know what you have been smited for - unless you just  unleashed a total flam-o-gram rant on someone of course. Furthermore it is totally anonymous, which lacks any form of accountability.
I suppose one could smite the moderators whenever they post as a form of protest, though I think they have access to information about smiters.

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »
I don't even know what you all are even talking about. i guess i should poke around a bit. I've haven't really been to any forums on anything for something like 5yrs after i was pretty much kicked out of the minolta forum(tools!). I was surprised to find this place, pretty much by chance, and by chance whatever i first read looked interesting, so i lurk.  -that video is great.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 08:09:29 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 08:25:26 PM »

lol. I swear that someone logs on everyday just to smite you.

If you want to avoid smites, do not say anything other than "the 7D is the greatest camera ever made and nothing can surpass it". I gotta go. I think the 7D Gestapo are on to me......

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »

Thats the disgusting thing, people who abuse the system just for kicks, or find someone they decided to pick on, and smite them repeatedly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »