April 21, 2014, 12:33:22 PM

Poll

What should I do?

Just stick with the 1DMkII and my current lenses
Stick with the 1DMkII but buy some new lenses/filters
Buy a 5DMkII now but stick with my current lenses
Buy a 5DMkII now and buy some new lenses/filters
Something completely different

Author Topic: Equipment for landscape & travel photography - advice needed please!  (Read 4410 times)

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment for landscape & travel photography - advice needed please!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 02:01:28 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!

Good news though - I've managed to find a 5DMkIII and it is due to be delivered tomorrow, together with spare battery and circular polarising filter  ;D

The only slight downside is that to get the 5DMkIII I had to buy it as a kit with the 24-105 f/4 IS lens. Is it a downside though? Actually, I'm thinking the 24-105 lens might be an excellent all round lens and perhaps all I need to take with me? I don't really want to lug too much equipment around, not only because of the bulk and weight of it but also the value for insurance purposes. Come to think of it, using just the one lens would also avoid the need (or temptation) to change lenses and expose the sensor to dirt, dust etc. So, do you think it's a good idea to travel with the 5DMkIII and just the one lens?

Regarding a ND/grad filter, I'm thinking of buying in to the Lee Filter System, unless there is something better/more practical?

One thing I think I definitely need is a tripod, for landscapes. I don't want to take my existing Manfrotto model as it's way too heavy and bulky to travel with, so can anyone suggest a good travel tripod that is light but sturdy and won't take up too much space?

Oh and the 5DMkIII camera strap is WAY too conspicuous - can anyone suggest a good alternative?

First thing first, try out you 5D3 kit set immediately in the situation you believe you'll encounter (low light situation, potraits, etc.). Since very few people have the body at this point, you have to figure out what it's really capable of.

I think the 24 on the FF body should be wide enough for most landscape situations, but you might be a bit lacking on the tele-end. Bringing your 70-200 or not would be you personal choice, since it will add significantly to your luggage weight and makes you very obvious when you pull it out. However, don't leave your 85 behind, because it well could come in handy for portrait/low light shots. An alternative is bring the 100 macro, which would allow you to go macro but sacrifice low-light capabilities.

If you really want to cover all the ranges, you can look at the 17-40 and 70-300 (L or non-L) to complete a budget travel package. Therefore:

Low encumberence set: 5D3, 24-105, 85 (or 100 macro) + flash

Ideal budget cover-all-range set: 5D3, 24-105, 17-40, 70-300 (or your 70-200) + flash

As for filters (I assume you mean the square filters), I haven't tried Lee so I couldn't comment on it, but I don't think there's much alternative left on the market (a pity that B+W doesn't have a similar system)

Tripods for travelling? Have you considered the 1-series of Gitzo? And don't forget the cable release.

Camera straps? There's a lot of choice in the market and it depends on whether you want the strap for carry comfort or the capability to wrap it around your hand+arm for a good grip. I use Think tank photo's strap because of it takes up less room and durable, and also works with my backpack (the 360).
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 02:01:28 AM »

Old Shooter

• EOS M2
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 03:46:49 AM »
Congratulations on nabbing your MkIII!

I was going to side with wickidwombat, and suggest you buy one enroute or in the PI's, to reduce cost and avoid your VAT!  But, you will have one in hand, and that would make me breathe easier!

I think getting the kit and ending up with a 24-105 was a blessing in disguise!  Excellent focal range, IS, L quality, and I have seen some amazing landscapes/portraits shot with this lens!  Probably because it was the kit lens for the MkII (a great camera) and there are a bunch of them out there!

Why don't you pick up a 16-35 II or a 17-40 when you get to Manila?  The 17-40 and your 24-105 can share filters since they are both 77mm.  Or, buy the 16-35 (with an 82mm CPL) and a 82mm-77mm step down ring.  If you don't have a Speedlight; also a great time to pick up a 580II or a new 600! Use the money you saved to buy a tripod that you plan on leaving behind! (GREAT idea, AJ!  I am so stealing that for my next trip!)  Since you already own it, I would probably bring the 100mm macro for flowers and little critters...

Landscapes - Tripod!  I think I am pretty steady, but I have never matched IQ, side-by-side, with a hand-held shot versus a tripod.  I use mirror lockup in conjunction with the RC-6 wireless remote to minimize vibration.  You have a CPL - and don't forget the lens hood...  A lot of shooters advocate Live View with an Hoodman for landscapes - this will eat your battery - but you already bought an extra one!

The Wedding - Bring or buy a flash!  As already suggested; extra batteries and a charger...  Shoot RAW+JPEG on your CF and mirror to your SD - A lot of wedding shots look just fine as a JPEG...  For the real memorable ones, I would want to work them from RAW...  This will eat up a lot of your memory, so transfer this stuff to a laptop + external HDD as soon as possible...

Have a great time and be sure to post some of your shots!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 04:54:28 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!

Good news though - I've managed to find a 5DMkIII and it is due to be delivered tomorrow, together with spare battery and circular polarising filter  ;D

The only slight downside is that to get the 5DMkIII I had to buy it as a kit with the 24-105 f/4 IS lens. Is it a downside though? Actually, I'm thinking the 24-105 lens might be an excellent all round lens and perhaps all I need to take with me? I don't really want to lug too much equipment around, not only because of the bulk and weight of it but also the value for insurance purposes. Come to think of it, using just the one lens would also avoid the need (or temptation) to change lenses and expose the sensor to dirt, dust etc. So, do you think it's a good idea to travel with the 5DMkIII and just the one lens?

Regarding a ND/grad filter, I'm thinking of buying in to the Lee Filter System, unless there is something better/more practical?

One thing I think I definitely need is a tripod, for landscapes. I don't want to take my existing Manfrotto model as it's way too heavy and bulky to travel with, so can anyone suggest a good travel tripod that is light but sturdy and won't take up too much space?

Oh and the 5DMkIII camera strap is WAY too conspicuous - can anyone suggest a good alternative?

congratulations
I just got my new model ebay black rapid copy
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251008021232?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_6531wt_1165

and man the quality of these new ones is awesome
i would recommend taking the 24-105 and a fast prime 50 f1.4 or something similar if you have it not sure how light you want to travel though
APS-H Fanboy

ereka

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 05:05:02 AM »
congratulations
I just got my new model ebay black rapid copy
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251008021232?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_6531wt_1165

and man the quality of these new ones is awesome
i would recommend taking the 24-105 and a fast prime 50 f1.4 or something similar if you have it not sure how light you want to travel though

I just hope I don't live to regret it (pulling the trigger so early on the 5DMkIII)!

Is the strap you linked to better than the Black Rapid RS-7 and if so, in what way is it better? I do remember seeing a thread somewhere about the Black Rapid connection coming loose or snapping. According to the link you posted, the bit that screws into the tripod thread at the bottom of the camera is stainless steel but the quick release clasp is zinc alloy.

I don't have a 50 f/1.4 but I do have the 85 f/1.8

I'm seriously thinking of whether to buy the new 100mm f/2.8L IS macro to replace my old 100mm f/2.8 macro (non-l and non-IS) for hand held macro shots. If anyone has used both, is it worth the upgrade?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 05:15:22 AM by ereka »

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:47 AM »
Ereka I read your posts and all the replies.
You can' go wrong buying a 5D mkII. It will suit your specific photographic needs perfectly!
Then you can invest on some glass. For example 16-35 II or 17-40. I prefer the second for many reasons (cheaper, almost no lens flare, 77mm filter thread, same iq when stopped down).
If money is not a problem go get some Zeiss (18, 21, 25 are all great lenses, and I'm sure that the new 15mm will be too) and never look back!
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

ereka

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 07:17:42 AM »
You can' go wrong buying a 5D mkII. It will suit your specific photographic needs perfectly!
Then you can invest on some glass. For example 16-35 II or 17-40. I prefer the second for many reasons (cheaper, almost no lens flare, 77mm filter thread, same iq when stopped down).
If money is not a problem go get some Zeiss (18, 21, 25 are all great lenses, and I'm sure that the new 15mm will be too) and never look back!

Thanks for the advice. I've already bought a 5D MkIII though - is that what you meant?

I've being considering whether to buy some Zeiss lenses, but reviews seem to be mixed and I'm finding it difficult to decide whether they are any "better" (whatever that means) than Canon equivalents. It seems to be very much "swings and roundabouts" and "horses for courses"? On balance, is it better just to stick with the same system i.e. Canon cameras, Canon lenses?

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I've already bought a 5D MkIII though - is that what you meant?

I've being considering whether to buy some Zeiss lenses, but reviews seem to be mixed and I'm finding it difficult to decide whether they are any "better" (whatever that means) than Canon equivalents. It seems to be very much "swings and roundabouts" and "horses for courses"? On balance, is it better just to stick with the same system i.e. Canon cameras, Canon lenses?
Sorry, forgot an I there :D

Better value for money? No.
Better IQ? From my personal experience, yes.
It is a fact that you can get great results using an "all-canon" system. I just suggested an alternative which in my opinion has the edge IQ-wise.
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 07:25:51 AM »

sanyasi

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »
Others have given you good advice, so here is a niche point.  Last summer, I bought a Singh-Ray Vari-Neutral Density filter--you can rotate if , which allows you 2 to 8 stops of neutral density.  It by far is the best filter/accessory I ever have bought.  This winter I have been taking photographs of "seascapes" and urban street scenes (but not street photography).  It really allows you to create some amazing photographs.  I started with one ND filter that was coated to achieve 4 stops of ND, but being able to increase or decrease the stops with one filter really is the only way to go.  It is expensive (around $350 US0, but it is a great tool.  I bought the 77mm, which works with 2 of my Canon lenses.  http://www.singh-ray.com/varind.html.  I've already gotten way more that $350 of value out the Singh-Ray filter (and I am not talking about sales--I photograph for fun).

I've had the 5D Mark II in Greece in the summer and India (dust and heat even in November).  I also did the New York City Annual Halloween parade in the pouring rain using a plastic cover (probably foolish).  Never had a weather problem with the 5D.

As an aside, your problem (timing) is one reason I have two regular camera dealers rather than buying all my equipment mail order based on price alone.  I suspect that a dealer might find a way to help you out in this pinch with a loaner, cheap rental, or even getting you to the head of a list.  That's not to say you don't have a dealer or that you are "bad" if you don't.  It is a reminder to everyone that sometimes paying rock bottom is false economy in the long run.  Service still counts for something.

Have fun.

Jack Siegel

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 07:36:28 AM »