October 25, 2014, 01:43:50 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark 3 Queue @ B&H  (Read 72479 times)

5dmk.iii

Re: 5D Mark 3 Queue @ B&H
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »
BH still doesn't seem to give customers any estimated ship dates of the camera. Many other sites have already started giving out this information. I'm not sure why B&H is holding this information against their customers but it is certainly making me uncomfortable. Especially I pre-ordered my camera internationally and paid the full amount at the time that I made the order. I feel like I should have at least the right to know when am I getting my product that I have paid for.

Yes you do... I would like to know as well... if the customer is King, treat them as such!

Not to thread hijack, but I spoke to Adorama today and they are shipping last week of March and did not seems to have issues with stock.. Spoke with BH also, and those guys are very tight lipped and not very helpful...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 11:37:05 AM »

dho81

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
interesting. i just checked mine (i pre-ordered 2x 5d3)--one says "backordered" and the other says "released in limited qty" -- payment method was different though. on the backordered one i used a credit card, the other was paid with paypal (and the money was processed at time of transaction).

all though the order status for both on the BH website says backorder for me.

Uh oh, I am looking at my email confirmations from B & H for both the 5d3 and 1Dx, there does seem to be a difference between backordered and pre-ordered status, so those with 'backordered' 5d3's may be waiting longer than those with 'pre-ordered' status.   :(

Screen shots cut/pasted from my B&H emails...

Canon CAE5D3
EOS 5D Mark III Digital Camera (Body Only)
Back-ordered   

Canon CAE1DX
EOS-1D X Digital SLR Camera (Body Only)
Pre order. Released in limited qty
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:41:01 PM by dho81 »

Kingw

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 03:50:02 PM »
BH still doesn't seem to give customers any estimated ship dates of the camera. Many other sites have already started giving out this information. I'm not sure why B&H is holding this information against their customers but it is certainly making me uncomfortable. Especially I pre-ordered my camera internationally and paid the full amount at the time that I made the order. I feel like I should have at least the right to know when am I getting my product that I have paid for.

Yes you do... I would like to know as well... if the customer is King, treat them as such!

Not to thread hijack, but I spoke to Adorama today and they are shipping last week of March and did not seems to have issues with stock.. Spoke with BH also, and those guys are very tight lipped and not very helpful...

Exactly, should have ordered from Adorama or Amazon if I knew the guys @ B&H do not like to share any information with their customers. And I thought B&H has a higher reputation than the other stores. I have the patience to wait for my product, but right now I'm not allowed to have any information about my current order status, it is ridiculous customer service.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2012, 03:57:54 PM »
Exactly, should have ordered from Adorama or Amazon if I knew the guys @ B&H do not like to share any information with their customers. And I thought B&H has a higher reputation than the other stores. I have the patience to wait for my product, but right now I'm not allowed to have any information about my current order status, it is ridiculous customer service.

Well, Amazon seems to cancel preorders for no reason sometimes, so they're probably not the best option.  Now...which would you prefer...Adorama tells you that you're 500th in line, and B&H doesn't tell you that you're 500th in line.  B&H gets 600 cameras in their first shipment, and Adorama gets 400.  Who's better off?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

myocyte

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
I pre ordered a 24-70L II the day it was announced, and it said the item was backordered instead of pre ordered. I find it hard to believe that there's going to be huge shortages of that lens, especially since I pre ordered one as soon as it showed up on the B&H website.
5DIII | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 50 f/1.2L | 85 f/1.2L | 70-200 f/2.8L II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 05:02:52 PM »
I pre ordered a 24-70L II the day it was announced, and it said the item was backordered instead of pre ordered. I find it hard to believe that there's going to be huge shortages of that lens, especially since I pre ordered one as soon as it showed up on the B&H website.

I suspect that 'backordered' just means they don't have stock to ship to you, and means nothing about your place in the queue.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

5dmk.iii

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »

Well, Amazon seems to cancel preorders for no reason sometimes, so they're probably not the best option.  Now...which would you prefer...Adorama tells you that you're 500th in line, and B&H doesn't tell you that you're 500th in line.  B&H gets 600 cameras in their first shipment, and Adorama gets 400.  Who's better off?

Yes... but then no one tells you where in the line, and BH could have more pre-orders in and could run out sooner...

I think I will switch orders once I find a etailer that does not charge tax and has ready stock... (unless BH tells me they have shipped already)... don't know about you guys, but in Indianapolis I see the trees beginning to blossem with beautiful flowers... cannot believe this weather in march... typically we'd be under a foot of snow this time... but today... 80F!  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 05:27:15 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2012, 05:29:41 PM »

Spare a thought for the rest us who ordered very late... i.e. March 5th  ;D

What does it mean when BH says the status = Back ordered; does it mean I missed the first batch?

I noticed there is no tax on your invoice. I looked it up and IN has 7% sales tax, does that not apply to your purchase?

5dmk.iii

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

What does it mean when BH says the status = Back ordered; does it mean I missed the first batch?

I noticed there is no tax on your invoice. I looked it up and IN has 7% sales tax, does that not apply to your purchase?

Does BH charge you taxes?  :o

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »

If you order Online B&h will only charge you sales tax if you are having it delivered to New York state. Online retailers are only obliged to charged sales tax if the shipping/billing address is in a state they have a physical presence in.

This is starting to get contentious especially with sites like amazon as they have warehouses and distribution centers in states they don't charge tax in. I think you are meant to declare goods you have purchased from out of state in your tax return and pay the sales tax to your state of residence.

There are retailers who have been prosecuted for charging sales tax to out of state orders and then not paying the money collected to the state they are located in.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 05:58:08 PM by SomeGuyInNewJersey »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 07:01:47 PM »

If you order Online B&h will only charge you sales tax if you are having it delivered to New York state. Online retailers are only obliged to charged sales tax if the shipping/billing address is in a state they have a physical presence in.

This is starting to get contentious especially with sites like amazon as they have warehouses and distribution centers in states they don't charge tax in. I think you are meant to declare goods you have purchased from out of state in your tax return and pay the sales tax to your state of residence.

There are retailers who have been prosecuted for charging sales tax to out of state orders and then not paying the money collected to the state they are located in.

They need to streamline tax collection... who will remember every item they got in the last year? )ok Maybe 5dmk.iii will remember getting the 5d.mkiii  ;)
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

sheedoe

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 07:27:08 PM »
Non-Jersey residents can save tax when they preorder from places like Abes of Maine and Buydig. Buydig is saying that the 5D III ships in 10 days. Abes of Maine offers a $15.00 off coupon (code:LOYALTY15).

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=CNEOS5DM3

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=CNEOS5DIII&id=CNEOS5DIII&&kbid=5d%20mark%20iii
Canon- 5D II x2 | 70D | 8-15mm f4L Fisheye | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24mm f/1.4L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 85mm f/1.2L II |100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | 600EX-RT x3 | 580EX II | ST-E3 RT | EOS M w/22mm Lens | Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | GH4

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »

Yup they do. I am in Canada and they charge whatever the provincial tax rule is. I live in Ontario therefore it is 13% but if you live in Alberta it is 0%.

Canadian retailers do the same thing - they charge the destination provinces tax rate on any online purchase - they don't trust us to remit taxes at the end of the year, unless of course you are a business.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »
Yup they do. I am in Canada and they charge whatever the provincial tax rule is. I live in Ontario therefore it is 13% but if you live in Alberta it is 0%.

Canadian retailers do the same thing - they charge the destination provinces tax rate on any online purchase - they don't trust us to remit taxes at the end of the year, unless of course you are a business.

Jamesy, B&H only charges GST unless you are lucky enough :P to live in a province with the HST (BC & ON), then you fine folks get to pay the HST.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »

Jamesy, B&H only charges GST unless you are lucky enough :P to live in a province with the HST (BC & ON), then you fine folks get to pay the HST.

Suddenly I feel very special ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »