April 24, 2014, 11:54:06 PM

Author Topic: 5D3 Autofocus System  (Read 1836 times)

LD21

5D3 Autofocus System
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »
I am a pretty technical person who holds an engineering degree. I am finding the autofocus system instructions in the 5D3 manual to be the bare minimum (which is expected in a manual) and they really don't help fill in the gaps on how / when to use specific modes. Given that I just paid a significant amount of money for this camera, I feel that if I don't fully understand the autofocus system, I am underutilizing my investment.

Are there any other resources out there (web / book) that will do a better job of teaching the focusing system?

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 Autofocus System
« on: March 29, 2012, 01:08:58 PM »

idratherplaytennis

Re: 5D3 Autofocus System
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 01:16:20 PM »
I am more or less in a similar boat to you. I'm a fresh out of Architecture school student, with a background of shooting photography throughout school as a serious hobby and made the jump from a 20D. Also just posted a topic here about trying to shed some light on hidden gems where I explained one thing I did to help with my auto focus feature which you can read if you'd like.

From what I know, however, is that this camera being as new as it is- you may have to wait a while before any actual manuals, in print or online pop up- as the only ones in the photography community that have had access to pre-production models may not be writers and teachers but actual users who may or may not post guidelines like this. From my basic understanding- this AF system borrows a lot/updates from the 7D system which has been out for more than long enough to have had some guides and books posted about it, so you might want to start looking there. I don't really know if there are any other cameras as closely related that have been out for awhile with a similar system to the Mark III.

Hopefully this helps out, and good luck with the search. Let me know if you find anything useful (I'm really busy the next few days and won't have the time to do any of the searching right away).

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 01:29:12 PM »
I am finding the autofocus system instructions in the 5D3 manual to be the bare minimum...

I guess that is why engineers do NOT read manuals ;)

But on a serious note, there are a number of threads started in the last few days here on the forum addressing this issue. I suggest you read them. Many people have said that they helped...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 01:30:17 PM »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

eeek

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
You are right- they give you the how it works not the why you would use it.  This has been a Canon deal for years.  There was a good explanation of the 7D focusing system that came out right after it did, from Canon.  I would expect the same with the 5D3.  Not to mention, there will be a flood of 3rd party books released soon.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
The 7D system modes are similar to that of the 5d3, it took me a while to master the AF modes and i come from a professional photography degree =) The 7D manual wasn't that clear either but after some practice and perfecting, i eventually got it going well... Keep working at it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

LD21

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »
Thank you for the links!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »