Gear Talk > Lenses

1.4x Teleconverter; the right choice?

(1/4) > >>

ScottyP:
I have a crop-frame Canon (T3i) and only 2 lenses; the lovely EF-S 17-55 f2.8, and an EF-S 55-250 which I lucked into as a give-away after said lens was the only surviving piece of equipment after a friend's camera bag got swiped.

Obviously I already have a native 1.6x distance multiplier due to the camera body.

My question is, would the 1.4x TC be a good purchase?  Primarily, I'd think it'd be used to extend the 55-250.  It is already magnified x 1.6 to essentially a 400mm telephoto.  But if I add in a 1.4 TC, would I be able to get acceptable bird shots losing IQ and a stop or two? 

I guess a TC could also give my 17-55 a wee bit of extra reach, but, hmmm.

Note:  I am not terribly serious about the long distance shooting, so I kind of hate to buy an expensive telephoto.  On the other hand, I hate to buy even the teleconverter if it is going to be unacceptably bad results.

Thanks all.

neuroanatomist:
I presume you mean a 3rd party TC - the Canon one won't work with the EF-S 55-250mm, it's physically incompatible due to protruding elements on the TC. The Canon extenders only work with L primes of 135mm and longer, L zooms of 70mm and longer except the 70-300L, and also the MP-E 65 and TS-E lenses (although Canon doesn't actually list those last ones as compatible).

The 3rd party ones are a mixed bag, none optically as good as the Canon, the better ones that come close also report the aperture to the camera, so you'd lose AF on the 55-250 (need f/5.6 or faster), the ones that don't report will allow AF, but give you a horribly soft image.

Bottom line, I'd skip it...

ScottyP:
Good point.  Without AF, and with the other considerations, I'd probably do better to sell the little 250 lens, add that to the cost avoided by not buying a TC, and apply it towards a bigger zoom.

Or just skip it, which might be fine too. 

Birds are rubbish when it comes to purchasing their portraits.  Nearly impossible to cover the outlay.

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on March 10, 2012, 11:34:21 PM ---the better ones that come close also report the aperture to the camera, so you'd lose AF

--- End quote ---
... unless you happen to have a little piece of tape with which you can cover some pins so af works again. The iq of the Kenko 1.4 is said to be good, but I didn't try it myself yet.

rj79in:

--- Quote from: Marsu42 on March 11, 2012, 05:11:29 AM ---
--- Quote from: neuroanatomist on March 10, 2012, 11:34:21 PM ---the better ones that come close also report the aperture to the camera, so you'd lose AF

--- End quote ---
... unless you happen to have a little piece of tape with which you can cover some pins so af works again. The iq of the Kenko 1.4 is said to be good, but I didn't try it myself yet.

--- End quote ---

I've tried taping the pins but the AF speed is beyond belief ... SLOW! MF feels faster ;-)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version