December 21, 2014, 11:39:34 PM

Author Topic: The Canon High End [CR2]  (Read 16772 times)

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
Re: The Canon High End [CR2]
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »
All of them require a tripod mounted camera to not shoot "wobble cam." The IS technology used in the lenses/sensor mounts is fine for stills photography but it is really bad for video.

To not shoot crappy video with a 5DII, you have to take a professional approach.

So if you want to shoot video and don't want to take a professional approach, get a video camera that costs around the same (or a bit more?) than the 5D series cameras.

dilbert, I'm going to disagree with you on a few points there, somewhat.  the HIS system in the 100 f/2.8 L IS Macro works really well for handheld video.  I'm hoping it gets introduced into more short-length lenses to give handheld shooters some more options.

rather than shelling out $3K for a video camera, you can also just buy the 5D II and then get a decent handheld stabilizer unit for about $500.  anyone who learns to use a steadicam or glidecam, in conjunction with a tripod, and maybe the cheapo manfrotto 127VS dolly system, can start to make some pretty impressive amateur video.

not saying the $3K video cam isn't a bad idea, but you can do pretty well for video without having to give up your 5DII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 09:42:33 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2010, 02:10:18 AM »
All of them require a tripod mounted camera to not shoot "wobble cam." The IS technology used in the lenses/sensor mounts is fine for stills photography but it is really bad for video.

To not shoot crappy video with a 5DII, you have to take a professional approach.

So if you want to shoot video and don't want to take a professional approach, get a video camera that costs around the same (or a bit more?) than the 5D series cameras.

dilbert, I'm going to disagree with you on a few points there, somewhat.  the HIS system in the 100 f/2.8 L IS Macro works really well for handheld video.  I'm hoping it gets introduced into more short-length lenses to give handheld shooters some more options.

rather than shelling out $3K for a video camera, you can also just buy the 5D II and then get a decent handheld stabilizer unit for about $500.  anyone who learns to use a steadicam or glidecam, in conjunction with a tripod, and maybe the cheapo manfrotto 127VS dolly system, can start to make some pretty impressive amateur video.

not saying the $3K video cam isn't a bad idea, but you can do pretty well for video without having to give up your 5DII

Ok, in my mind if you're starting to use a dolly system and the other things that you mentioned, then you're taking a professional approach to video.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2010, 09:33:19 AM »
true.  I guess I meant you can do (semi-)pro work on an amateur budget.  but you're right, I guess at that point it's no longer "casual" video shooting

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
If they replace the 1D IV next year I'm selling all my Canon junk, buying Nikon and turning into the most disgusting Nikon fanboi - anti-Canon-troll the interwebs has ever seen.

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »
If they replace the 1D IV next year I'm selling all my Canon junk, buying Nikon and turning into the most disgusting Nikon fanboi - anti-Canon-troll the interwebs has ever seen.

Why?  Do you think that the 1D MK IV will stop working or making money for you?  Cameras get upgraded all the time.

x-vision

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2010, 04:05:24 PM »
Why?  Do you think that the 1D MK IV will stop working or making money for you? 

Precisely.

I'm also thinking that Canon will likely price the 1DV initially at $5999 and keep selling the 1DIV for a certain transition period for $4000-4500.

They have no choice, since the 1.3x to FF transition will certainly anger some of their customers.
Thus, the 1DIV will have to remain current for a while. It will have to be discontinued eventually, though.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »

Why?  Do you think that the 1D MK IV will stop working or making money for you?  Cameras get upgraded all the time.

No, but you do understand that this gear represent a certain investment and you don't invested in S___ like this without having some clear idea of depreciation and factoring in the loss in ones accountancy. That is what I'm concerned about, not the camera magically not making me money anymore. Canon has been very steady in update frequency since the 1D.

About the FF debate, meh, don't care, as long as the speed is the same and the pickles stay around where they are now, larger files means more time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2010, 08:23:07 PM »

No, but you do understand that this gear represent a certain investment and you don't invested in S___ like this without having some clear idea of depreciation and factoring in the loss in ones accountancy. That is what I'm concerned about, not the camera magically not making me money anymore. Canon has been very steady in update frequency since the 1D.

About the FF debate, meh, don't care, as long as the speed is the same and the pickles stay around where they are now, larger files means more time.

A camera body is not a investment, its a expense.  It will never appreciate in value, and after 3 years will drop to 1/3 or less of its new value.  My bookkeeper writes off the purchase of a camera body immediately, as he should.  A lens, however, may last for 10 years, even more.

peejay

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »
It is an expense. If you're not making money to pay for the camera quickly don't upgrade.

Also, why do you really need to continually upgrade?

Invest that money on marketing your business or even better, personal work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2010, 07:36:04 AM »