August 01, 2014, 08:38:39 PM

Author Topic: Yongnuo wireless Intervelometer  (Read 3984 times)

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Yongnuo wireless Intervelometer
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »
I was looking into buying an intervalometer and was wondering if anyone had experience with the Yongnuo  MC-36R?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/YONGNUO-MC-36R-C3-Wireless-Timer-Remote-CANON-5D-II-7D-1D-IV-50D-40D-30D-20D-/330673602061?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item4cfdaebe0d

It seems like it would work with any Canon that has a C8 connector such as the 5D2.

canon rumors FORUM

Yongnuo wireless Intervelometer
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:12:47 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Yongnuo wireless Intervelometer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
i have the cable version exact same handpiece and functionality
it works well however the only thing that bugs me alot is there is no on off switch so you have to take the batteries out when you stop using it. really stupid design IMO
Not sure on how much benefit the wireless vs cable version is though the cable version is alot cheaper
APS-H Fanboy

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
it works well however the only thing that bugs me alot is there is no on off switch so you have to take the batteries out when you stop using it. really stupid design IMO
Not sure on how much benefit the wireless vs cable version is though the cable version is alot cheaper
Thanks.

Does it not shutdown after a period of inactivity? The wireless version would be for studio shots, selfie's or group shots with me in 'em  :D

pz-photography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
5D Mark III | 7D | 1V HS | 14 2.8L II | 35 1.4L | 50 1.2L| 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 24-105 4.0L IS| 70-200 2.8L IS II | EF 2x III

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »

Thanks.

Does it not shutdown after a period of inactivity? The wireless version would be for studio shots, selfie's or group shots with me in 'em  :D

nope It doesn't just runs the batteries out, PITA! but its cheap and functionality is good the counter is super handy for bulb exposures. the only downside is the stupid have to take the batterys out thing
if you have an iphone and a camera with IR and want wireless look at this which I use now aswell
http://www.dslrbot.com/
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 08:17:59 PM »
APS-H Fanboy

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
Get this one ;) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pixel-TW282-Wireless-Timer-Remote-Canon-EOS-1D-/310318118552?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item484066b698
Much more sophisticated and better build quality!

looks interesting does the handpiece have power on off?

I'd be curious of this too. It is interseting that it also uses CR2 batteries on the hotshoe portion - I tend to have those kicking around for my Yongnuo RF-602 triggers.

Do you know if the 5D3 also has the C8 connector like the 5D2?

@wickidwombat - how long do the batteries last in the YN if you forget to take them out?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:58:52 PM by Jamesy »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »

triggermike

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
    • mike fossler photography
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
I have the wired version - works great. As long as the functions are turned off, the battery drain is minimal (like a digital watch.) Note that your link (and the one I have) is a Nikon style with a Canon plug. A Canon style is also available if that means something to you. The Nikon style version has a larger maximum number of shots if memory serves me right.

There is nothing wrong with the build quality of this item - it's built as good as any full-priced factory product of this type of item. I have not been disappointed with the build quality of anything Yongnuo makes.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:17:24 PM »
I have the wired version - works great. As long as the functions are turned off, the battery drain is minimal (like a digital watch.) Note that your link (and the one I have) is a Nikon style with a Canon plug. A Canon style is also available if that means something to you. The Nikon style version has a larger maximum number of shots if memory serves me right.

There is nothing wrong with the build quality of this item - it's built as good as any full-priced factory product of this type of item. I have not been disappointed with the build quality of anything Yongnuo makes.
Thanks for the insight. The I posted says "YONGNUO MC-36R/C3 Wireless Timer Remote for CANON 5D II 7D 1D IV 50D 40D 30D 20D". Where do you get Nikon reference from?

triggermike

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
Strictly the way it looks. The Canon likeness has a thumbwheel to one side for scrolling thru the settings. But I believe it is limited to 99 total exposures versus 399 for the one you're looking at. This aspect makes a difference - you will shoot many frames making a decent timelapse. I believe they both allow "unlimited" exposures when not set on the timer, but you will have to manually stop the sequence. My experience is you set the intervalometer up, walk away and return later when all is over.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »
...399 for the one you're looking at. This aspect makes a difference - you will shoot many frames making a decent timelapse. I believe they both allow "unlimited" exposures when not set on the timer, but you will have to manually stop the sequence. My experience is you set the intervalometer up, walk away and return later when all is over.
The link says "Number of shots  1 to 399,-- (unlimited)"

triggermike

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:48 PM »
Right, you can set up the device to shoot 1-399 images at a certain interval (say every ten seconds, or whatever) and when it gets to the end it stops - whether you're there or not. When set to unlimited, it keeps shooting until you return and shut it off.

DJL329

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
Get this one ;) http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pixel-TW282-Wireless-Timer-Remote-Canon-EOS-1D-/310318118552?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item484066b698
Much more sophisticated and better build quality!

looks interesting does the handpiece have power on off?

I'd be curious of this too. It is interseting that it also uses CR2 batteries on the hotshoe portion - I tend to have those kicking around for my Yongnuo RF-602 triggers.

Do you know if the 5D3 also has the C8 connector like the 5D2?

Most of Canon's high end dSLRs (the xD and xxD bodies, except the 60D) have what Canon calls an "N3" terminal for remote control (3 prong connector).  The rest (xxxD, xxxxD and the 60D) use the "E3" connector (2.5mm 'micro' stereo plug).  So, to answer your question: the terminal on the 5D Mark III is the same as the Mark II.

Here it is on the 5D Mark III (upper left):

http://www.dcfever.com/news/readnews.php?id=6365
Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »
Interesting, I just tried my Yongnuo Rf-602 via the N3 cable to my 5D3 and while it fires the shutter, the half press does not work to focus the camera as my 40D does. I wonder if there is additional signalling going on from the N3 port on the newer bodies.

Does anyone know?

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »
I think I have a bad trigger, as I tried three others and they work fine.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2012, 05:42:13 PM »