October 01, 2014, 02:11:34 AM

Author Topic: Cancelled 5d mk III pre-order for D800?  (Read 4118 times)

poker_jake85

Cancelled 5d mk III pre-order for D800?
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has cancelled their mk III pre-order for Nikons D800? I've been thinking about it since I'm only invested in canon with a 70-200 2.8 after selling my 60d and kit lens (for the mk iii).

canon rumors FORUM

Cancelled 5d mk III pre-order for D800?
« on: March 12, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »

XanuFoto

Re: Cancelled 5d mk III pre-order for D800?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 07:16:55 PM »
Up to you. I don't think the board can make that decision for your. You might need to spend some money on the extra disk, memory and computing power to handle the files.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 07:40:15 PM »
The D800 has some interesting features that i'd like to have, but the poor high ISO performance is not one of them.  If it were 22 mp and had two stops better, It would be a tougher decision.

For those who believe more mp is better, it might be the right product.  If its right for you, go for it.  Adorama has a 30 day return policy, so if it is disappointing, you can return it.

I have the 5D MK III pre-ordered, and, if its disappointing to me, I'll return it.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 09:00:52 PM »
What is your rationale to consider switching systems?

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
The D800 has some interesting features that i'd like to have, but the poor high ISO performance is not one of them.  If it were 22 mp and had two stops better, It would be a tougher decision.

For those who believe more mp is better, it might be the right product.  If its right for you, go for it.  Adorama has a 30 day return policy, so if it is disappointing, you can return it.

I have the 5D MK III pre-ordered, and, if its disappointing to me, I'll return it.

That's where I am. I'll try it and ditch in favor of a mk2 and some new glass.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

KevinB

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 09:45:03 PM »
I did just the opposite, had the pre order for the D800 but sold my Nikon stuff and came back to Canon.. To each there own !!

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »
I did just the opposite, had the pre order for the D800 but sold my Nikon stuff and came back to Canon.. To each there own !!
Welcome to the light side!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

Seamus

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
What has happened that makes you want to switch? With nothing but opinion and rumor to go on, it seems a little hasty to make that decision. It won't be long until there are facts...

YellowJersey

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 10:37:24 PM »
I think it's premature and really rather silly to seriously consider going from Nikon to Canon or from Canon to Nikon before the 5D3 and D800 are actually released and more comprehensive reviews are posted. I'm of the opinion that, other than specs, most of the information we have is speculative and really not something to base a several thousand dollar purchase on. The prudent thing to do if you're thinking about it is to wait. The wait shouldn't be that long either, less than a month.

erfon

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:03:00 AM »
I think it's premature and really rather silly to seriously consider going from Nikon to Canon or from Canon to Nikon before the 5D3 and D800 are actually released and more comprehensive reviews are posted. I'm of the opinion that, other than specs, most of the information we have is speculative and really not something to base a several thousand dollar purchase on. The prudent thing to do if you're thinking about it is to wait. The wait shouldn't be that long either, less than a month.

yeah i do too.  there are lots of people tossing around equations and obscure photo-physic calculations, but ultimately we just need the new cameras to be released into the real world so people can start hammering on them.

also, if you're not shooting a lot of landscape photos, the D800 might be overkill for you.  it creates approx 75 megabyte files — if you shoot 1500 images a wedding, well, you do the math.

i'm actually moving from nikon to canon (mark iii), because after 8 years with nikon and about 6 months of research, i've decided i like canon's lenses better.   nikon makes nice lenses, but in my opinion, canon's lenses create much more beautiful bokeh.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 12:05:22 AM by erfon »

poker_jake85

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 10:09:44 AM »
Up to you. I don't think the board can make that decision for your. You might need to spend some money on the extra disk, memory and computing power to handle the files.

I built my own pc a few months back, 2 ATI 6950s, 8 gb RAM, Intel 2500k at 4.5 ghz, 2 TB hdd space, and 3 24" LG monitors.

What has happened that makes you want to switch? With nothing but opinion and rumor to go on, it seems a little hasty to make that decision. It won't be long until there are facts...

The main thing that worries me are their sample photos. They are way too soft and a majority of my photos are landscapes and want them as sharp as can be. The second is the price for what you get in each camera. If Canon's would have been 3000, I probably would have stuck with it but the D800 is $500 cheaper, better DR (less PP), better metering, not sure about the AF compared to the 5d Mk iii and I don't do a lot of low light shooting so ISO performance is moot. I picked up 3 pro nikon lenses, sb-700 and extra batteries for the same  price as the 5d mk III 2 lenses (24-105 & 100-400), 430exII and extra batteries and I still have my Canon 70-200 f2.8 for sale which should fetch atleast $800. Also, the DX mode of the nikon will be handy for the occasional airshow shooting where it is 5 fps and 6 with battery grip plus they are still at 16mp. But again the main thing that worried me was the softness of the canon photos so far, especially compared side by side with the D800.

keithfullermusic

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • k2focus.com
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »
Look at the sample photos on the canon site for all their lenses and cameras.  About 90% of them look like crap, and taken by some dude on the street that they handed a camera to.

I agree that the pics a not that appetizing, but search Flickr for 5Dii pics and you will see that they are incredible.  I have a hard time believing that canon didn't at least improve on them.

To me, everyone said that the 5D2 was the perfect camera minus AF and lower useable ISO.  It looks like the addressed that and much more.  I think the only thing people are bummed about is the huge price increase, and the fact that it is pricier than its Nikon rival.  I think Canon must be pretty sure of HW sweet this thing is to price it where they did.

But, who knows. In the end I think they are probably both going to be amazing cameras and ones that a good photographer will be able to take amazing pics with.  I don't see a reason to switch, but then again I am heavily invested in Canon with lens, flashes, triggers, etc.  I also love the Canon system on the camera, and I don't want to learn a new one.

Either way I think you will be happy with either camera and some good glass.  I'm not even considering switching, but I don't think I can blame someone for doing it.
5Diii - 50D - 100mm f/2.8, 85mm f/1.2 vii - 50mm f/1.4, 20mm f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 vii - 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 430 EX II, YN560, YN568, Bowen's 500R's
---
Pics - http://k2focus.com | Tunes - http://keithfullermusic.com

poker_jake85

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
But, who knows. In the end I think they are probably both going to be amazing cameras and ones that a good photographer will be able to take amazing pics with.  I don't see a reason to switch, but then again I am heavily invested in Canon with lens, flashes, triggers, etc.  I also love the Canon system on the camera, and I don't want to learn a new one.

Either way I think you will be happy with either camera and some good glass.  I'm not even considering switching, but I don't think I can blame someone for doing it.

I have no doubt both will be great cameras and get the job done. It was just scary to see the sample photos of the 5d mk III. Plus Glacier and Yellowstone will prove to be a nice test for the D800 later this year.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »

erfon

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 06:04:40 PM »

...a majority of my photos are landscapes and want them as sharp as can be.

yeah, if it were me and I were mostly landscape, the D800e will probably be my machine.  Canon simply has nothing like it.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »

The main thing that worries me are their sample photos. They are way too soft and a majority of my photos are landscapes and want them as sharp as can be.

I would strongly advise you to look very closely at the corners of the D800 and D800E samples before jumping. I think there are going to be a relatively small number of lenses that are good enough in the corners to make use of the 36 MP. Bear in mind also, that every one of the D800(E) sample images (or at least the landscapes) are at f/8, close to the sweet spot of many lenses. Use of narrower apertures to get sufficient depth of field will likely result in even softer corners.

If Canon's would have been 3000, I probably would have stuck with it but the D800 is $500 cheaper, better DR (less PP), better metering, not sure about the AF compared to the 5d Mk iii.

Nobody actually knows this for sure yet. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable making an assessment based on the few sample images around.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »