November 22, 2014, 04:21:23 AM

Author Topic: 5d Mark 3 Mirror blackout time  (Read 1199 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
5d Mark 3 Mirror blackout time
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »
I personally am not bothered by it, but I remember a few days ago people wanted to know about the mirror blackout time for the new 5d Mark 3.  I dont know if anyone ever found it out, but I came across

http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/AH_CW_interview/

in their interview with Chuck Westfall, he discloses "Shutter lag time is 59 milliseconds, the same as the EOS 7D, and considerably faster than the EOS 5D Mark II’s 73 milliseconds. Viewfinder blackout time is 112 milliseconds on the EOS 5D Mark III vs. 145 milliseconds on the EOS 5D Mark II."

Hope this helps for those who are interested.   
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

5d Mark 3 Mirror blackout time
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:17:01 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: 5d Mark 3 Mirror blackout time
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »
Interesting.  I picked up a few new things that I do not recall seeing in the other interviews.

In particular, the planned ability of DPP to do such a extensive correction for Canon lenses.  I may switch to having DPP process images ahead of lightroom.

"A new feature called Digital Lens Optimizer processes RAW images to achieve ideal optical characteristics for all types of optical aberration or diffraction, effects of a low-pass filter in front of a CMOS sensor, etc. This function improves image quality particularly in the image periphery in addition to the image center. This function is made possible because the entire design-through-manufacture process, for camera, CMOS sensor, EF lens, and DPP, is carried out entirely at Canon. Images are processed optimally using lens information in the image files (focal length, subject distance, and aperture) and lens data specially for the Digital Lens Optimizer. (However, the size of a .CR2 file will be two to three times larger after applying the Digital Lens Optimizer.) Adjustments are made for such aspects as spherical aberration, chromatic aberration, astigmatism, curvature of field, sagittal halo, chromatic aberration of magnification, axial chromatic aberration, diffraction, and the effects of a low-pass filter in front of the CMOS sensor. DPP’s Digital Lens Optimizer will be usable with any of 29 compatible lenses initially. It works with .CR2 files from EOS models released since 2006 (EOS 30D and forward)."

canon rumors FORUM

Re: 5d Mark 3 Mirror blackout time
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »