November 29, 2014, 01:25:42 AM

Author Topic: Am I crazy to even think of switching to Nikon? Here's my gear...  (Read 10746 times)

tonyp

My wife and I started up a photography business last year.  I'm currently in the process of getting her a camera body.  We primarily shoot family portraiture and are moving into weddings this summer. I currently have:

Canon 5d Mk2
Canon 35L 1.4
Canon 50L 1.2
Sigma 85mm 1.4
Canon 135L f/2
Canon 580ex II

I do have the mark 3 preordered but damn the D800 is tempted... I could sell everything and start from scratch... I would lose some money yes, but does Nikon have equivalent primes as Canon does?

canon rumors FORUM

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: Am I crazy to even think of switching to Nikon? Here's my gear...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:21:49 PM »
The canon lens lineup is one of Canons biggest strengths over Nikon... unless your wife is planning on selling primarily 30"x40"s or bigger on a routine basis, I think you should be just fine with the 5d3
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

tonyp

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »
Well what's happened is I'm reading all these forums about dynamic range, dynamic range, banding banding and it's messing with my mind man!  LOL

tonyp

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 04:23:43 PM »
I mean I have a love affair with the 35L and 135L.  2 of my beloved lenses.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
I don't think it's crazy, I know it's been done plenty of times.  I got my 35L/50L from a wedding photographer that had 2 5DII's and almost every L prime under 200mm, definitely more invested than you are.  The prints I saw in her place were pretty awesome, and I know she was really happy with the Nikon stuff.  Be aware, everything is backwards, you have to click right to open the aperture and left to close it, and I think even the focus ring is reversed.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 04:30:32 PM by Axilrod »
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
With all things considered... these talks about banding, DR, etc... Do you have issue with the 5d2 DR?  5d2 Banding?  From what I can tell is this... DR... may be better than 5d2, may be the same, it's up in the air until we get production samples...  Banding, I've never really noticed to be honest... Not to say it isn't there, but I'm more into the overall sellable image than pixel peeping looking for issues... the 5d3, from what I gather, removed banding in one direction but not the other?  Anyways, if this was a major issue for you in the past, it may be an issue for you in the future... If you loved the 5d2 image quality, you probably will be amazed by the 5d3 with addition to up to 2 stops more usable ISO's, AF, metering, etc etc etc... Nikon has an impressive camera, i'm sure sony will have a very nice camera as well, but it really boils down to what you personally want/need and what issues you have with your current gear and what you need to take your photography to the next level 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
For weddings I suspect you would be much happier with the low light performance of the 5d3 over the extra resolution of the d800. Additionally, your file sizes with the d800 will be monstrous. I doubt you would notice any perceived differences in dynamic range (if they exist at all as I have not seen any real world tests done yet, only theoretical ones). Besides, if there is an extra stop of DR in the d800, it would be in the iso 100 - 200 range which I doubt you'll be shooting at. Lastly, 22mp is still a VERY large file and there are good algorithms that would allow you to blow it up to gigantic prints (you can still do that with it's native resolution). If you are planning on cropping in VERY tight or blowing up to VERY large images, the d800 might be better for you. But barring that, I think the 5d3 would suite your needs better.
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
You want a 36mp camera for weddings?!? Really?

Is resolution or a couple of stops of dr actually holding your business back?

poker_jake85

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 04:51:18 PM »
The thing that made my decision to switch to NIKON was the price. Extra 500 for the mk iii and it has a worse sensor.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 04:54:51 PM »
Well what's happened is I'm reading all these forums about dynamic range, dynamic range, banding banding and it's messing with my mind man!  LOL

Thats exactly why I'm trying to combat all that blather! :D Don't listen to it...it has no bearing whatsoever on the cameras ability to take excellent photos...its just a bunch of tech heads who like to tear apart hardware and data at a low level and find its flaws (or lack thereof, if that tickles their fancy.)

Its all meaningless in the grand scheme of things! Learn how to use your camera, use it effectively and efficiently, and those issues will only affect a very small percentage of your total photos. If you need real evidence of whether any one of the cameras on the market today, including the 5D II and by extrapolation the 5D III, just look for photos created by them on sites like 500px.com or 1x.com. You'll never see any banding, fixed pattern noise, or DR issues.

To try and set your mind at ease a bit more, we've all been bickering about DR at an extremely low level, and in terms of extreme situations, where you might need to recover shadows by more than 4 stops. Unless you have rather unique photographic practices where you are regularly photographing scenes with unbelievable DR and can't use an GND filter to balance contrast, its highly unlikely you'll need to recover that much low-ISO shadow DR...ever. Using the more real-world DR numbers from DPR (as contrasted with the very low-level numbers from DXO that have been involved in most of the DR discussions on these forums lately), here is how cameras compare today, in stops of DR @ ISO 100:

Sony Alpha A9009.4
Nikon D70009.2
Canon 1D IV8.6
Canon 1Ds III8.6
Nikon D3s & D3X8.5
Canon 5D II8.4
Canon 7D8.3
Nikon D7007.8

The grand total difference from the worst current Canon body, the 7D, and the best current Nikon body, the D7000, is less than a full stop. The difference is even less, from the 1D IV to the D7000, of about half a stop. In terms of more realistic, real-world shooting...you shouldn't concern yourself with the low-level nature of read noise and how it may affect the technical specification of DR.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:12:18 PM by jrista »

tonyp

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
I know... and I love the Canon bodies... I love the control wheel, I love the joystick.... I think I would miss those tremendously... as lame as that may seem... and I'd miss that 135L lens....

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »

It depends. To switch systems based on rumors and sample images is silly. On the other hand, let's say you can actually try out a D800 first hand and compare it directly to the type of shooting that you do against the 5DIII. If you can distinguish enough of a difference in DR, noise, ISO, or whatever factors most greatly impact your type of photography, and determine that difference is enough to warrant switching systems, then that's another story entirely.

In this scenario, for me the D800 would have to be substantially better than the 5DIII in order to justify switching systems. If the Nikon were just marginally better for my type of shooting, there's no way I'd switch. 

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:17:32 PM »

It depends. To switch systems based on rumors and sample images is silly. On the other hand, let's say you can actually try out a D800 first hand and compare it directly to the type of shooting that you do against the 5DIII. If you can distinguish enough of a difference in DR, noise, ISO, or whatever factors most greatly impact your type of photography, and determine that difference is enough to warrant switching systems, then that's another story entirely.

In this scenario, for me the D800 would have to be substantially better than the 5DIII in order to justify switching systems. If the Nikon were just marginally better for my type of shooting, there's no way I'd switch.

Exactly... everything is still up in the air and no real world samples have been provided... So many unknowns... So many assumptions and testing of unreleased photographs... The 5d2 was flamed for being soft, too much NR, low DR when it was first announced... Since then we know that the 5d2 more capable and higher quality than initially mentioned.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 05:17:32 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »
Exactly... everything is still up in the air and no real world samples have been provided... So many unknowns... So many assumptions and testing of unreleased photographs... The 5d2 was flamed for being soft, too much NR, low DR when it was first announced... Since then we know that the 5d2 more capable and higher quality than initially mentioned.

To expand on that point, I find "test samples" a little silly as well. Take that Imaging Resource thread that was recently posted with 5DIII ISO samples. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't take photos of napkins and crayon boxes, and olive oil bottles sitting on a table. If I did take images of napkins, crayon boxes, and olive oil bottles under identical lighting conditions, then I suppose the test would be valid. But I don't.

Ultimately, all that really matters is how your gear performs under the conditions and shooting style that you subject them to. Otherwise, everything else is an apples-to-oranges comparison.

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »
good luck with D800 for the wedding..
just be prepare for longer post and bigger cf cards.

BTW.. What is 5d2 holding you back? and regard to the switch with your current gears, ur amount of gears only fall within mediocre range.. so yes, if the switch should be made.. do it now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 05:34:11 PM by vuilang »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »