August 23, 2014, 01:41:40 PM

Author Topic: Am I crazy to even think of switching to Nikon? Here's my gear...  (Read 10489 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Am I crazy to even think of switching to Nikon? Here's my gear...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »
My simple-minded answer is simply, yes. You would be looney to think of such a switch. Here's why.

You're in the first stage of building a business. You've got some fundamentals and tools established, and apparently they're working. Why would you consider shaking everything up and essentially starting over? That would add not only another variable to your business plan, but it could put the whole enterprise in jeopardy. It looks like you've got a good set of tools in place that satisfy your needs and you're building on those.

If you've succeeded five years from now, that's when you look at Nikon and see if they have tools that could give you increased success. If they do, you wouldn't be crazy to think about it then. Today, yes, it's crazy.

Best wishes for continued success with your venture!

My wife and I started up a photography business last year.  I'm currently in the process of getting her a camera body.  We primarily shoot family portraiture and are moving into weddings this summer. I currently have:

Canon 5d Mk2
Canon 35L 1.4
Canon 50L 1.2
Sigma 85mm 1.4
Canon 135L f/2
Canon 580ex II

I do have the mark 3 preordered but damn the D800 is tempted... I could sell everything and start from scratch... I would lose some money yes, but does Nikon have equivalent primes as Canon does?
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2012, 05:44:55 PM »
I'm keeping everything (although I'm thinking of liquidating the 24-70) and next month -depending on the reviews & comments from 1st month guinea pigs- I'm seeing myself in line for a D800 with a 14-24 or 24-70.
I wont give a single penny to Canon till they get some sense about their pricing policy and the effort they seem to put in their slrs.
And in my opinion, 5dmk3 doesn't worth the investment right now since I think its price will tumble down more than 500-700$ in less than a year.

I'll always be a Canonite (just look at the beauty of any L lenses comparing with those yellow-black disproportionate things!) but i'll take a break for a bit.

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2012, 06:31:52 PM »
If you do decide to switch, it'd be a great idea to actually hold a Nikon camera to see what they're like. My girlfriend has a Nikon, and whenever I pick it up I have no idea where anything is, or how to change certain settings, their layouts are pretty different, and I think Canon have a really nice layout on their bodies, I guess it's personal preference, I'm sure you could get used to anything though! The other thing is that their lenses go on the opposite way, and their zoom rings are opposite also!
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 07:13:32 PM »
The thing that made my decision to switch to NIKON was the price. Extra 500 for the mk iii and it has a worse sensor.

A worse sensor? By what standard exactly? mp? If you think that is the criterion to judge a sensor by, have at it. Maybe we could all start shooting with the 41mp Nokia 808 phone. And everyone with a 1D4 can trade in their cameras for the 7d because it has more megapixels.

If there is some other reason the d800 sensor is better than the 5d3 that has actually been proven, then I will eat my words.

I will concede, once the hands on reviews start coming in and it turns out Sony has produced a miracle sensor that seemingly defies the laws of physics, I will have a great deal of egg on my face. Until then, we'll see.
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
Yes in think you are crazy. For wedding and portrait photography the 5d3 would be much better. The D800 will require more effort get good focus with those smaller pixels and won't get usable images at anywhere near as high iso. Surely you wont be printing anywhere near big enough to need 36 mp? Seems to me 5d3 is the ideal wedding photographers camera. D800 looks better for landscape are studio people.

I am actually considering switching myself. I print 20x30 regularly and want to go bigger. The extra detail is enticing me. The Nikon 14-24mm is another thing that has any Canon landscapers who are thinking of switching tempted... Canon just doesn't have an ultra wide angle that's corner to corner sharp. I'm not trying to make this about me... Just pointing out that I don't think the reasons most canon owners that are considering the switch really apply to you.

As a wedding photographer you should be grinning like crazy over the prospect of the impending arrival of your 5d3... Not torturing yourself over what to do like me :-)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
since she doesnt have a body yet and you dont have any really wide glass why not consider running with both formats get her a D800 and the 14-24 Nikkor and she can shoot wide and close, great for groups too and you can shoot over the top with the 85 or 135 canon and you get the best of both worlds at least then you can evaluate how each  brand works or doesnt for your style and business.

Only downside to this is different charges batteries and flashes are not interchangable
APS-H Fanboy

tonyp

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 07:36:49 PM »
Yes in think you are crazy. For wedding and portrait photography the 5d3 would be much better. The D800 will require more effort get good focus with those smaller pixels and won't get usable images at anywhere near as high iso. Surely you wont be printing anywhere near big enough to need 36 mp? Seems to me 5d3 is the ideal wedding photographers camera. D800 looks better for landscape are studio people.

I am actually considering switching myself. I print 20x30 regularly and want to go bigger. The extra detail is enticing me. The Nikon 14-24mm is another thing that has any Canon landscapers who are thinking of switching tempted... Canon just doesn't have an ultra wide angle that's corner to corner sharp. I'm not trying to make this about me... Just pointing out that I don't think the reasons most canon owners that are considering the switch really apply to you.

As a wedding photographer you should be grinning like crazy over the prospect of the impending arrival of your 5d3... Not torturing yourself over what to do like me :-)

You just don't want me to take your spot in the preorder line do ya! :)

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 08:09:02 PM »

You just don't want me to take your spot in the preorder line do ya! :)

My preorder confirmation from BHP was 12:13am EST on the 2nd for the 5d3... I'm happy with my spot in that line :-)

My preorders for the d800e were just last week though... On bhp start last week and then on amazon hours after they reopened prebooking last Friday. I should have clicked the preorder on the d800e when it was there on amazon 20 mins after the D800 announcement. I didn't though :-( they closed preorders then and I didn't go for it soon enough

I just wish I could manage to decide whether I want the 5d3 or the D800e... I am tortured when I should be excited !

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 08:10:54 PM »
since she doesnt have a body yet and you dont have any really wide glass why not consider running with both formats get her a D800 and the 14-24 Nikkor and she can shoot wide and close, great for groups too and you can shoot over the top with the 85 or 135 canon and you get the best of both worlds at least then you can evaluate how each  brand works or doesnt for your style and business.

Only downside to this is different charges batteries and flashes are not interchangable

I must admit, the d800e and 14 - 24 combo would be a formidable landscape combination the likes of which canon has nothing that comes close.
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
My wife and I started up a photography business last year.  I'm currently in the process of getting her a camera body.  We primarily shoot family portraiture and are moving into weddings this summer. I currently have:

Canon 5d Mk2
Canon 35L 1.4
Canon 50L 1.2
Sigma 85mm 1.4
Canon 135L f/2
Canon 580ex II

I do have the mark 3 preordered but damn the D800 is tempted... I could sell everything and start from scratch... I would lose some money yes, but does Nikon have equivalent primes as Canon does?

I'm sure the D800 will be an awesome camera, but I think the pixel peepers are messing with your mind.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

aprotosimaki

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »

Canon 5d Mk2
Canon 35L 1.4
Canon 50L 1.2
Sigma 85mm 1.4
Canon 135L f/2
Canon 580ex II

Rent one and see before making any firm decisions. No tool is perfect; it is how you use it. 

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2012, 08:49:04 PM »
Thats exactly why I'm trying to combat all that blather! :D Don't listen to it...it has no bearing whatsoever on the cameras ability to take excellent photos...its just a bunch of tech heads who like to tear apart hardware and data at a low level and find its flaws (or lack thereof, if that tickles their fancy.)

Its all meaningless in the grand scheme of things! Learn how to use your camera, use it effectively and efficiently, and those issues will only affect a very small percentage of your total photos. If you need real evidence of whether any one of the cameras on the market today, including the 5D II and by extrapolation the 5D III, just look for photos created by them on sites like 500px.com or 1x.com. You'll never see any banding, fixed pattern noise, or DR issues.

It is meaningless blather for SOME but not for others. It depends how you shoot, what you want to shoot. I can hit upon the limit often enough that it's annoying, in the REAL WORLD. It's meaningless in the grand scheme for some but not at all for others.

If you plan to shoot 99% at ISO800+ then it is probably 99.99% meaningless.
For some they may run into the issue routinely though, although sure you can still take tons of great pics if you avoid lots of stuff you wanted to do or wanted to do without hours of post.
It depends.

And by constantly saying it's just ridiculous nonsense by tech-heads (was Ansel Adams a tech head? well haha actually he was but you then doubly get the point) all you do it make those mentioned the stuff mention it more to add some balance to all the head in the sand, maybe that ends up having us make it seem like a bigger deal than it is.

The grand total difference from the worst current Canon body, the 7D, and the best current Nikon body, the D7000, is less than a full stop. The difference is even less, from the 1D IV to the D7000, of about half a stop. In terms of more realistic, real-world shooting...you shouldn't concern yourself with the low-level nature of read noise and how it may affect the technical specification of DR.

Those numbers are not more real-world, they are nonsense and you who makes such a big deal about getting the exact truth well knows that. They way understand the differences when they even have any semblance to reality at all for the RAW shooter in particular.

That said the OP shouldn't just go crazy and do something without examining what their needs, it could at least as easily be that it would mean little to them as a lot, and even if it proves they would benefit a lot from more base DR it might not hurt to see how the 1DX does, if it does much better then maybe the 5D4 will finally do much better and it's then a question can you wait another 2-2.5 years, that can be easier than switching, it depends.

If most of you wedding shots are at ISO800 and up I don't think it would make sense to switch and for wedding shots that you are doing and portraits in what you are doing 22MP is fine and SNR and DR may be no different from mid-iso and up, the new 5D3 AF may be more sensitive in dim light (but you really need to wait for user reports) too.  If you did lots of ISO100-200 shots and were often struggling with black tuxes and white shirts and huge DR and couldn't hide it well enough then maybe, but I imagine with use of fill flash and a little hiding in post you can get away with it for your new portrait and wedding business, for portraits you can really have control of all lighting and making use of radical DR shots or not I doubt will make or break you (but losing money switching around might). For portraits you could probably fast shoot two shots for HDR anyway, portaits can be so controlled and I doubt you are doing the sort with a constantly moving model doing this and this but probably purely static, rigid stuff.

That said some people, real world, make great use of D800 DR, I sure wish the 5D3 had the extra DR myself. For you I just have a weird feeling you might just lose money and get annoyed from teh whole swithcing process, at least now.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:01:49 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2012, 08:54:29 PM »
Have the same problem. Lot of Canon lens and would like to switch to Nikon. I am waiting for the reviews however so far D800 has awesome samples, sharpness and DR. Canon just gave us D700, which was launched several years ago. IMHO AF will be same or worse as Nikon (we know canon's great AFs history. Hard decision to make, but there no "WOW" in 5d3. It was when 5d2 was launched (great IQ, high mpix, ISO 100, price and adventage on fast lens). I just don't belive it took 3 years to develop better AF and slightly cleaner high ISO. I do not follow mpix war and marekting however samples from Nikon have really blown my eyes, awesome. Saying same thing about 5d3 wouldn't be true. Another thing is handling and button design etc. Maybe I was used to Nikon , but after using a 5d2 for a year, imho Nikon has far better layout, but that depends on user.
And there is one more thing to consider- I think that 5d3 is a good choice for people that are already invested in Canon, and don't want to loose money, on the other side let's ask yourself a question-what will you buy if u do not have any gear. To be honest I simply envy people who already have good Nikon lens and Nikon FF, they now have opportunity to expand a set with a perfect studio camera, while canon owners, like me, have an opportunity to have better or good AF while other parameters remain almost unchanged.  I am not going to write about the price of the body and new 24-70, as the conclusion is clear.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:06:41 PM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

Wedding Shooter1

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2012, 08:55:44 PM »
Hey Tony,

I've been doing about 30 weddings a year for about 10 years now. Stick with what you have, it's all great stuff. DO NOT listen to the stuff you hear on here....lol......Just test your new equipment and make sure it's working properly when you first purchase it. Then USE IT! Forget about all this BS that is constantly posted about.

Also, if you are going into weddings my advice is that you have to get a wide angle lens, wider than 35, 16-35 would be perfect....You will definitely be in a situation where you will need it, and if you are literally backed into a corner, say on a rainy wedding day and can't take that group shot or whatever, you are screwed!!....Also you must get another flash in case the one you have breaks down...Ideally you should get 2 more making 3......and also when money permits add a 3rd body in case of any problems....ive had 2 bodies go down on me at 1 wedding, i take 5 bodies with me...

Weddings are a one shot deal...If you F them up because your camera or flashes died leaving you without, you WILL be sued and your career will be over before it started. It is much better to be safe, than sorry...Trust me!

Canon 5d Mk2
Canon 35L 1.4
Canon 50L 1.2
Sigma 85mm 1.4
Canon 135L f/2
Canon 580ex II

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:02:01 PM by Wedding Shooter1 »

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2012, 08:58:04 PM »
Short Answer:

Yes, you're crazy. :) (you asked for answer)