July 26, 2014, 09:48:57 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss lens wipes  (Read 3062 times)

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
Zeiss lens wipes
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »
I was at our local drugstore not long ago and I came across a display of some Zeiss lens wipes, which are pre-moistened little towelettes designed to clean your glasses and, according to the box, your camera lens as well. Does anybody have any experience with these? They work fine on my glasses; they've never been cleaner, in fact. The name "Zeiss" leads me to believe they'd work ok for my camera lenses, but I thought I would poll the unwashed masses just to be sure. Thanks in advance for your input.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

Zeiss lens wipes
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:05:07 PM »

Leopard Lupus

Re: Zeiss lens wipes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:53:11 PM »
The only information I have found on these wipes in regards to using them on camera lenses is an article that says "they are okay for occasional use but not on a regular basis".
I think having a one time use cleaning cloth would be great, especially is dusty/dirty situations. Sadly there seems to be little published word of these being used on anything other than reading glasses.
Cheers!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:02:49 PM »
Depends on whether or not they're labeled as suitable for use with anti-reflective coatings.  I've got 'optical lens wipes' (not Zeiss) that specifically say they're not.  I do use liquid lens cleaning solution from Zeiss on my lenses and filters, but it's specifically designed for lenses with anti-reflective coatings (I get bottles free from my Zeiss rep - you spend a couple million on Zeiss microscopes, they throw in a few perks  ;) ).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RedEye

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
I have used them, but I wish Canon would either made a product or offer a list of chemicals which could be damaging to our L series lenes. 

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:43:24 PM »
Although I don't think I've ever used them on a lens, I have them and use them all the time. They're cheap and portable. Great for wiping the screen on the back of the camera. Great for the touch screen on the phone. I don't think they're much more than alcohol, and the moisture evaporates instantly.

Funny thing, I'd never use them on my eyeglasses. Guess I'm weird that way!
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

gtog

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »
Roger Cicala of LensRentals.com in his blog on cleaning lenses (http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/the-lensrentals-lens-cleaning-methods) lists the Zeiss Lens Cloths for use if after blowing, brushing, blowing, and a lens pen have not succeeded in getting a lens clean. Like others have said, I would double check the packaging to make sure they are safe for multi-coated lenses. They may have an expiration date to check as well.

Good Luck

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »