January 24, 2018, 02:56:42 AM

Author Topic: Chuck Westfall & the 5D Mark III  (Read 29287 times)

erfon

Re: Chuck Westfall & the 5D Mark III
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 01:41:42 AM »
I have to say, I'm not overly impressed with Westfall's interview.

I found his response to the question about high ISO performance with RAW files more than a bit unsatisfying:
"These figures are not being disclosed, but of course they will be lower than the noise reduction achieved with in-camera JPEGs and EOS Movies."

It sounds like the camera has a great autofocus system and I know that's what most 5D II people wanted, but as a 7D owner hoping for improvements in sensor technology, his comments aren't giving me a lot of confidence.

My read when he made that comment: "I can't disclose it because we know it's not nearly as great as many are expecting and we don't want this issue to blow up and affect sales"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:44:35 AM by erfon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 01:41:42 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
Oh yeah the difference in speed between having it write raw to the CF and to the SD is massive (well this is based on the 1Dmk3 anyway) i only write raw to SD if its an emergency generally i have RAW to CF and jpg to SD to at least have the jpg backup if the CF card takes a dump
APS-H Fanboy

Sinsear

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 03:38:30 AM »
My favorite quote by far was this:

"AH: Given the increased burst speed why doesn’t the 5D Mark III support class 10 SD-UHS cards?

CW: The EOS 5D Mark III supports Class 10 SDXC and SDHC memory cards, but not the UHS standard."

Gee thanks Chuck, we know it doesn't, he asked WHY does it not support them and you answered by saying it doesn't support it..... great, there goes the usefulness of the SD card slot for me :(

Hmmm, RAW on both cards, I assume was your desired usage?

Yes sir! Now I can just imagine the buffer filling and taking forever to dump to that max 30MB/S SD card while my 90 MB/S CF cards sit in boredom and wait... I guess I might as well just shoot without the backup slow card if it's going to make me miss shots :(

Are there tests or a video out there that shows the difference between write times when doing a mirror on both SD+CF cards vs. CF card alone? I too am curious about this, and if the write times are significantly slower with CF+SD, I may not use the SD slot and just use the CF slot only.

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 03:53:50 AM »
Oh yeah the difference in speed between having it write raw to the CF and to the SD is massive (well this is based on the 1Dmk3 anyway) i only write raw to SD if its an emergency generally i have RAW to CF and jpg to SD to at least have the jpg backup if the CF card takes a dump

I have an SD card slotted just in case the CF card fills without me noticing (which on the 1Ds3 hasn't happened yet)

yunusoglu

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 03:55:20 AM »

AH: Canon has indicated two stops improvement in high ISO performance relative to the 5D Mark II. We understand this figure refers to in-camera JPEG files with noise reduction. Approximately how much of an improvement in high ISO performance or low ISO dynamic range is expected in RAW (CR2) files when using the latest Canon DPP software?

CW: These figures are not being disclosed, but of course they will be lower than the noise reduction achieved with in-camera JPEGs and EOS Movies.

I believe even 1 whole stop improvement is pretty good advertisement but since CW responds to the question very very politically, I believe DR of 5D3 is probably on par with 5D2. It's so obvious that I'm not even looking forward for any tests or in-depth reviews...

Such a shame...

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 05:41:02 AM »
I'm thinking the same thing.

At 100 iso, what will be better with 18mp of the 1d x compared to the 21 mp 5d2 at 100 iso? Will I actually see better DR, and they claim better detail, how?

And also, after color-calibrating my shots lately, I see NO difference in color between any camera and lens combo. So what's left?

I know about all the other differences, but for pure iso IQ, will the 1dx and 5d 3 offer anything better than the 5d2?
1dx mkII, 35 L II, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

WarStreet

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »
I liked the detailed information about the AF and metering. This is really a great AF system if what we are reading proves to be true. The only missing feature is the f8 focusing, but it is good to know that they are considering this request.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:29 AM »

josupi

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 05:48:15 AM »
to quote Mr. Westfall:

"A new feature called Digital Lens Optimizer processes RAW images to achieve ideal optical characteristics for all types of optical aberration or diffraction, effects of a low-pass filter in front of a CMOS sensor, etc. This function improves image quality particularly in the image periphery in addition to the image center. This function is made possible because the entire design-through-manufacture process, for camera, CMOS sensor, EF lens, and DPP, is carried out entirely at Canon. Images are processed optimally using lens information in the image files (focal length, subject distance, and aperture) and lens data specially for the Digital Lens Optimizer. (However, the size of a .CR2 file will be two to three times larger after applying the Digital Lens Optimizer.) "

Would that mean, that a third party software like Lightroom will be able to see and process a raw-file with the "Digital Lens Optimization" of DPP? A really cool feature if true.
And if it was possible to convert the "corrected" raw-file to the dng-format one would be more independant of the update-policy of adobe.

Yasmin

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »
So what Chucky is saying here, how much is the Raw improvement over 5D-II?

One stop? half stop?! Or even less than half stop?

AprilForever

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Chuck, bro, all this talk does not convince me. Give me a 7D mk II! I will gladly pony over the dough. Just make it APS-C.
What is truth?

JonJT

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 09:18:57 AM »

"AH: Given the increased burst speed why doesn’t the 5D Mark III support class 10 SD-UHS cards?

CW: The EOS 5D Mark III supports Class 10 SDXC and SDHC memory cards, but not the UHS standard."

Gee thanks Chuck, we know it doesn't, he asked WHY does it not support them and you answered by saying it doesn't support it..... great, there goes the usefulness of the SD card slot for me :(

Yes sir! Now I can just imagine the buffer filling and taking forever to dump to that max 30MB/S SD card while my 90 MB/S CF cards sit in boredom and wait... I guess I might as well just shoot without the backup slow card if it's going to make me miss shots :(

Maybe the camera will allow you to write to the CF first and mirror it later?  It seems rather silly on Canon's part to not allow you to make two copies of each RAW file, one onto each card.

Old Shooter

• EOS 80D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 10:39:46 AM »

This amazes me!  The T3i supports UHS-1 cards; why not the $3500 Mark III?

It seems more and more to me that the CF card slot is the primary...  All the burst speed numbers in the specs quote an 8GB UDMA card and a 128GB UDMA 7 card...  No mention of what the SD card alone can support...

You would think, particularly if you were writing RAW+JPEG to both cards in a primary/backup scenario, that Canon would want both card slots capable of maximum performance?  What good will it do if your blazing fast CF card has already written the images and your backup SD card is still playing catch up?
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »
to quote Mr. Westfall:

"A new feature called Digital Lens Optimizer processes RAW images to achieve ideal optical characteristics for all types of optical aberration or diffraction, effects of a low-pass filter in front of a CMOS sensor, etc. This function improves image quality particularly in the image periphery in addition to the image center. This function is made possible because the entire design-through-manufacture process, for camera, CMOS sensor, EF lens, and DPP, is carried out entirely at Canon. Images are processed optimally using lens information in the image files (focal length, subject distance, and aperture) and lens data specially for the Digital Lens Optimizer. (However, the size of a .CR2 file will be two to three times larger after applying the Digital Lens Optimizer.) "

This feature has received very little buzz, but I find it quite fascinating. I'm very curious how effective it will be. Maybe it's a gimmick, maybe it's a legitimately useful feature. With the shipment date of 5DIIIs imminent, we shall see very soon :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:50 AM »

Cali_PH

• EOS M5
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 11:29:12 AM »
to quote Mr. Westfall:

This feature has received very little buzz, but I find it quite fascinating. I'm very curious how effective it will be. Maybe it's a gimmick, maybe it's a legitimately useful feature. With the shipment date of 5DIIIs imminent, we shall see very soon :)

It caught my attention too.  Is he saying that it could, for example, correct for some of the edge of image deficiencies of UWA lenses like the 17-40L?  It can't magically make images sharp edge-to-edge of course, but possibly reduce CA and other issues?

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »
It caught my attention too.  Is he saying that it could, for example, correct for some of the edge of image deficiencies of UWA lenses like the 17-40L?  It can't magically make images sharp edge-to-edge of course, but possibly reduce CA and other issues?

That's how I interpret it. In light of all the stink that's been made over the 5DIII's noise and DR, if this feature actually works, this is the kind of innovation people are accustomed to seeing from Canon.

Optically, my L lenses are damn near perfect, but I wouldn't mind less vignetting from my 24-105.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »