August 22, 2014, 10:08:47 PM

Author Topic: Chuck Westfall & the 5D Mark III  (Read 15349 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Chuck Westfall & the 5D Mark III
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:21:08 PM »
Chuck Westfall Interview Canon’s Chuck Westfall interviewed with Arash Hazeghi about the 5D Mark III and what sets it apart from its predecessors. It’s an interesting read, and offers lots of insight into the improvements in sensor design as well as the all new autofocus system.

Mr Westfall breaks down the AF system

CW: The number and distribution of high-precision cross-type AF points has increased on the new 61-point AF system relative to the 45-point AF system used by the EOS-1D Mark IV. Moreover:

· The overall AF system speed of the EOS-1D X including lens drive is superior to that of the EOS-1D Mark IV on a lens for lens basis. The overall AF detection speed of the EOS 5D Mark III is superior to the AF detection speed of the EOS-1D Mark IV.

· The level of AF precision for 5 of the central area AF points on the 61-point sensor (i.e., the dual X-shaped cross-type points) is superior to the level of precision for any of the AF points on the 1D Mark IV.

· 21 cross-type AF points in the central area of the 61-point sensor are functional with maximum apertures as small as f/5.6; None (zero) of the cross-type points on the EOS-1D Mark IV are functional as cross-type sensors at maximum apertures smaller than f/4.

· The 61-point AF sensor has twice the low light sensitivity as the 1D Mark IV’s 45-point AF sensor (EV -2 vs. EV -1).

· The 61-point AF system supports AI Servo III, which is superior in subject tracking stability and consistency compared to AI Servo II found on the EOS-1D Mark IV.

· The 61-point AF system adds a greater degree of user control for subjects with various characteristics of acceleration and deceleration such as birds in flight.

· The 61-point AF system not only has 16 more AF points than any of the 45-point systems, it is also 20% wider in coverage (19mm vs. 15mm), making it easier for photographers to keep their subjects within the active AF area.

Read the entire interview | Preorder the 5D Mark III at B&H for $3499

cr

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 10:23:34 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
Re: Chuck Westfall & the 5D Mark III
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:57 PM »
If it is just a matter of doing the math, an increase of 4mm from 15 to 19 should yield a significant 26.7% increase in coverage.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
I have to say, I'm not overly impressed with Westfall's interview.

I found his response to the question about high ISO performance with RAW files more than a bit unsatisfying:
"These figures are not being disclosed, but of course they will be lower than the noise reduction achieved with in-camera JPEGs and EOS Movies."

It sounds like the camera has a great autofocus system and I know that's what most 5D II people wanted, but as a 7D owner hoping for improvements in sensor technology, his comments aren't giving me a lot of confidence.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

JonJT

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 11:17:19 PM »

I found his response to the question about high ISO performance with RAW files more than a bit unsatisfying:
"These figures are not being disclosed, but of course they will be lower than the noise reduction achieved with in-camera JPEGs and EOS Movies."

It sounds like the camera has a great autofocus system and I know that's what most 5D II people wanted, but as a 7D owner hoping for improvements in sensor technology, his comments aren't giving me a lot of confidence.

Do you know what amount of noise reduction Canon has achieved in jpegs, in comparison to the mkii?

Edit: I'm wondering if I should just buy a 7D, once it drops under 1400 new or, hold out for the new body later this year/early next year.  But, if the 5Dmkiii doesn't show a marked improvement in DR and ISO performance, I hold little confidence that Canon will see any significant improvements in performance of their APS-C sensors, as well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:22:18 PM by JonJT »

DeepShadows

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:29:41 PM »
My favorite quote by far was this:

"AH: Given the increased burst speed why doesn’t the 5D Mark III support class 10 SD-UHS cards?

CW: The EOS 5D Mark III supports Class 10 SDXC and SDHC memory cards, but not the UHS standard."

Gee thanks Chuck, we know it doesn't, he asked WHY does it not support them and you answered by saying it doesn't support it..... great, there goes the usefulness of the SD card slot for me :(

JonJT

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »

"AH: Given the increased burst speed why doesn’t the 5D Mark III support class 10 SD-UHS cards?

CW: The EOS 5D Mark III supports Class 10 SDXC and SDHC memory cards, but not the UHS standard."

Gee thanks Chuck, we know it doesn't, he asked WHY does it not support them and you answered by saying it doesn't support it..... great, there goes the usefulness of the SD card slot for me :(

Hmmm, RAW on both cards, I assume was your desired usage?

Seamus

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »
Thanks Chuck... way to not answer the questions. Disappointing interview, can't wait for some real world testing.

Terry Rogers

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 12:22:53 AM »

I literally laughed out loud when I read "These figures are not being disclosed". Really?!? REALY!!!???? He has got to be kidding us. For the life of me I cannot understand why canon would not want to disclose this. It's not like we're not going to find out in a few weeks anyways (I know, double negative). It just makes it seems like Canon his trying to hide something. If they are so proud of their improved jpeg performance, why not improved raw performance. It's the raw performance that the vast majority of 5d3 owners actually care about.

I'm a little baffled.
Rebel T3i,  EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, 430 EX II

Drewskers

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
There is an arrogance, if not actual contempt, shown for the customer in this interview. The answer about f/8 focusing borders on flippant.

D_Rochat

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:32:47 AM »
There is an arrogance, if not actual contempt, shown for the customer in this interview. The answer about f/8 focusing borders on flippant.

"CW: This request has been conveyed for consideration."

I must have read another article because I didn't detect any "arrogance". The fact that they are listening to their consumers and considering f/8 is far better than him flat out saying no. You have to keep in mind that he has to be careful with what he says and promises because Canon customers would want his head if he went back on something he said, no matter what the reasons were.

Drewskers

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:29 AM »

"CW: This request has been conveyed for consideration."

I must have read another article because I didn't detect any "arrogance". The fact that they are listening to their consumers and considering f/8 is far better than him flat out saying no. You have to keep in mind that he has to be careful with what he says and promises because Canon customers would want his head if he went back on something he said, no matter what the reasons were.

I worked for a Big Corporation (about the size of Canon) for 30+ years, so allow me to translate for you what it means when a corporate mouthpiece says something like "This request has been conveyed for consideration":

"You're annoying the crap out of me, go away and die"

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 12:42:23 AM »

ditto there is always so much spin and or dodging the real questions people want answered whenever he says anything
APS-H Fanboy

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 12:42:52 AM »
So Canon likes to brag about improvements in jpeg noise, but are totally silent when asked about raw noise (the one thing that truly matters).

Gee, I wonder what this means..  :P

pravkp

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »
At the very least a statement like "better than 5D2.." would have given us something to cheer.

May be we should stop worrying about whatever Canon has to say and simply wait for the camera to be tested in the wild.

DeepShadows

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 01:10:53 AM »

Hmmm, RAW on both cards, I assume was your desired usage?

Yes sir! Now I can just imagine the buffer filling and taking forever to dump to that max 30MB/S SD card while my 90 MB/S CF cards sit in boredom and wait... I guess I might as well just shoot without the backup slow card if it's going to make me miss shots :(