August 01, 2014, 06:38:51 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III Information  (Read 9883 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
5D Mark III Information
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »
High ISO Samples Engadget has released a few high ISO examples from the upcoming 5D Mark III. You can view them here.

The 5D Mark III is in a lot of hands now and we should see a lot of new content and thoughts on the camera relatively soon.

Planet5D has also posted a link to a video a few of us missed. It was shot with the 5D Mark III and you can see it here.

March 22, 2012 This is still the date that first cameras and shipments should be sent to customers. This is still confirmed in the USA and Canada by retailers I have talked to. The big three of B&H, Adorama and Amazon are all still taking preorders. There was a lot of confidence from a couple of the retailers that initial preorders would be filled very quickly and that Canon had a lot of initial inventory of the camera.

Most retailers should have stock before the launch date. If Canon does this type of launch going forward for cameras and lenses, everyone is going to be a lot happier.

5D Mark III in Stock (Credit Canon Rumors Forum)

cr

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:05:56 AM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

5D Mark III Information
« on: March 13, 2012, 08:01:15 AM »

DeepShadows

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III Information
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:24 AM »
Excellent! Maybe I won't be penalized after all for switching my preorder on the Sunday right after it was announced to b&h!!!! Might get it before my trip to Hawaii!!!!!

mitchell3417

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Mitchell Bennnett Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:09:58 AM »
Looks pretty dang good at 25,600. Not usable for big prints, but RAW could help significantly.
I enjoy taking pictures!!!
flickr  MB Photo

dswatson83

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:16:53 AM »
To me, up to 12,800 looks usable. Pretty impressive for sure. Considering I currently try never to go above 1600, it looks like I will get 2-3 stops of improved performance coming from a 7D

Shnookums

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:33:00 AM »
I can't believe the 5DIII is out before the October announced 1Dx...

pakosouthpark

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:07:58 AM »
I WANT TO STEAL THESE SO BADLY!!!!

why why so expensive?.....

cbphoto

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
There will come a day when high ISO values will mean little to the overall value of the camera. High ISO settings are still making a ripple because digital photography is relatively new, and film was the standard for IQ for over a century. Yeah, it's cool and it's very helpful under certain circumstances, but good IQ from high ISO settings are quickly becoming the norm (thankfully).

Eventually, users will manipulate their ISO settings just like we manipulate our aperture and shutter speeds. It will become the third adjustable variable in pro cameras, if it hasn't already.
~ CB

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »

JonJT

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 11:46:42 AM »
There will come a day when high ISO values will mean little to the overall value of the camera. High ISO settings are still making a ripple because digital photography is relatively new, and film was the standard for IQ for over a century. Yeah, it's cool and it's very helpful under certain circumstances, but good IQ from high ISO settings are quickly becoming the norm (thankfully).

Eventually, users will manipulate their ISO settings just like we manipulate our aperture and shutter speeds. It will become the third adjustable variable in pro cameras, if it hasn't already.

For what purpose?  ISO has no effect upon composition in the same manner that aperture does and shutter speed might, the latter depending on what is being photographed.

h4ldol

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 12:34:27 PM »
Wow, exciting to see those 5dIII boxes!  Interestingly, it seems that those boxes are all kit boxes with the 24-105 lens included.  I'd be more excited to see piles of body-only boxes but still, this seems to corroborate the very near release date rumors. 

CatfishSoupFTW

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 12:37:43 PM »
those sample images are reall nice. after the native ISO the noise is still fairly nice, the images look clean but if you look at the red columns thats where you noticed the noise the best. regardless, a lot better than my 40D!!! haha shoot, i cant even pass 400 iso :p
5DmrkII, 40D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8, 17-85, 70-300

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 03:52:11 PM »

For what purpose?  ISO has no effect upon composition in the same manner that aperture does and shutter speed might, the latter depending on what is being photographed.

I think that may be his point.  Once the quality hit is negligible, it will merely be another value you can adjust to get the exposure you desire.  Then you can finally use the aperture and shutter speed you want in most situations, and just use ISO to adjust exposure without the hefty trade off that currently demands.

darinf

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 04:09:34 PM »
I think the supply of 5D3's will not be a problem since they have probably have had a warehouse full of them for 2 years!  ;)

Who knows how long ago they actually had the technology capable of building the 5D3. With the strong sales of the 5D2, they didn't need to introduce a new camera.

samueljay

• Rebel T5i
  • 5D Mk III
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »
Oooooo very pretty! Haha! I wasn't planning on seeing the box until I had it in my hands, but well.. it was on the home page this morning, and I'm very impressed! :D Glad it's the 24-105 kit too! Looks like there's plenty of stock! Hopefully I have mine sooner rather than later :D
Gear: 5D Mk III <> 70-200mm ƒ/2.8L IS II USM <> 50mm ƒ/1.2L USM <> 8-15mm ƒ/4L  USM <>  100mm ƒ/2.8L  Macro IS USM <> 40mm ƒ/2.8 <> 24-70mm ƒ/2.8L II USM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »

This is already happening - M mode with Auto iso for example

I think that may be his point.  Once the quality hit is negligible, it will merely be another value you can adjust to get the exposure you desire.  Then you can finally use the aperture and shutter speed you want in most situations, and just use ISO to adjust exposure without the hefty trade off that currently demands.

The real hurdle at the moment is avoiding the DR hit at high ISO

mtavel

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »
Looks like there's plenty of stock! Hopefully I have mine sooner rather than later :D

I count 10 of them in the picture... I suspect that won't quite fulfill the preorders :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 07:20:02 PM »