April 20, 2014, 02:27:06 PM

Author Topic: 5D MkIII - do retailers reserve some stock for walk-in customers?  (Read 2034 times)

ereka

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Just a thought - I'm obviously too late to pre-order a 5D MkIII in time for my holiday, which starts on 12th April, but do retailers set some stock aside to satisfy walk-in customers (as opposed to pre-orders)?

canon rumors FORUM

april

Re: 5D MkIII - do retailers reserve some stock for walk-in customers?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Just a thought - I'm obviously too late to pre-order a 5D MkIII in time for my holiday, which starts on 12th April, but do retailers set some stock aside to satisfy walk-in customers (as opposed to pre-orders)?

no worries!!! for sure one (if not more) will be waiting for you at the store shelf once we get proper reviews and consumers' hands on tests we'll get to know who will switch and who will stay.

rporterfield

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:00 AM »
I think it is going to depend on the store.  Some stores will set some aside for walkins and other will give pteferential treatment to the preorders and only stock what is leftover after the preorders are filled.  My advice would be to talk to the shop owner and see.
5D Mark III, 24-105

Orion

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »

If they have 100 preorders, and their actual shipment is 105, then 5 will be set aside for walk-ins and online orders. Inventory is checked to keep online orders up to date. They may also not have enough for pre-orders, sometimes ;)

edit:

once the product is officially released, there are no more `pre-orders`

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:49:21 AM by Orion »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »
I've never had a store that sells over the internet do this.  The first one there with money gets it.  Right now, the huge internet stores have a huge number of pre-orders, but undoubtedly, smaller stores that are not big internet sellers will have them in stock.  It always works that way, so if you are looking to find a store with stock, contact one of the stores close to you that does not do internet selling.  There are a lot of them.

libertyranger

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »
I've never had a store that sells over the internet do this.  The first one there with money gets it.  Right now, the huge internet stores have a huge number of pre-orders, but undoubtedly, smaller stores that are not big internet sellers will have them in stock.  It always works that way, so if you are looking to find a store with stock, contact one of the stores close to you that does not do internet selling.  There are a lot of them.

I agree, you may end up paying tax but oftentimes that small authorized dealer in your town will have them sitting on the shelf because everyone else ordered online.

LetTheRightLensIn

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »

If you go to a mom and pop little local store you can likely still reserve a copy for yourself. Even with the low stock 5D2 I had zero problem walking into a local store, day one, not any list, and buying one of the very few copies they received on the first shipment (I think they were sold out by a day or two later, but there was never some local shop or another that didn't have stock for dry spells of more than 1-2 weeks, for all of the "I had to wait 8 months for my copy!" talk. Of course if your area has all the smaller stores OOB then you might be in more of a pickle. But they claim 5D3 stock should be a lot better than 5D2 stock.)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 06:23:41 PM »

dturano

5d Mark III at local dealers
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 10:42:41 PM »
Any chance of local dealers having any walk in stock 3/22 or any time shortly after?  Im fortunate to live near Cameta and Berger-Bros.  I emailed cameta and they advised me they won't pre sell the mark III, when its on there site it will be in there store and warehouse for shipping.  I plan to stop by a few minutes after opening on 3/22 to see if they have any in stock.  Berger-Bros is pre selling the camera so they may not have store stock.

Anybody think local dealers who don't offer pre order will get stock when its real realeased?   If your not familiar with Cameta they have a huge amazon/ebay store business and small little walk in counter store in Amityville, NY.  While they may not get the amount BH or adorama gets they do a lot of business.  I was just curious if anyone has an local small dealers that plan on getting a few in stock before April.

Hope this is the right section, first time poster long time lurker.

dturano

Re: 5d Mark III at local dealers
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
This must be a god sign, usa.canon.com store has a pre order with a ship date of 3/26

You Pay:   $3,499.00
Estimated Ship Date 03/26/12

at least  it puts and huge concurs for big delays to rest if canon direct it pre selling it with a ship date of 3/26.

dturano

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »
Thanks for moving to this post, I'm new to the forum, didn't see this (should have searched) glad to see it didn't stay up get berated for posting things twice :)  always loved this site, glad i jumped on board to post.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:04 PM »