Rumors > Speedlites, Printers, Accessories

3rd-party AF assist for the 5D Mark III

(1/3) > >>

JustinTArthur:
I'm new to the world of flashes and transmitters and was thinking about grabbing the 600EX for the 5D Mark III, but mainly for the AF assist light. So I wanted to ask, do 3rd parties ever produce alternate AF assist lights? I've seen a few knock-offs of the ST-E2, but couldn't tell if they had AF assist or not.

I'm assuming the Canon ST-E2 itself is not an option as the 61-point AF is bound to have points at different places from the pattern in that unit.

It's been suggested that creating a matrix of NIR LEDs will do the trick, is this comparable to a patterned beam made for the camera's AF?

Thanks!

wickidwombat:

--- Quote from: JustinTArthur on March 13, 2012, 03:14:35 PM ---I'm new to the world of flashes and transmitters and was thinking about grabbing the 600EX for the 5D Mark III, but mainly for the AF assist light. So I wanted to ask, do 3rd parties ever produce alternate AF assist lights? I've seen a few knock-offs of the ST-E2, but couldn't tell if they had AF assist or not.

I'm assuming the Canon ST-E2 itself is not an option as the 61-point AF is bound to have points at different places from the pattern in that unit.

It's been suggested that creating a matrix of NIR LEDs will do the trick, is this comparable to a patterned beam made for the camera's AF?

Thanks!

--- End quote ---
I have the Yongnuo ST-E2 copy which is better than the genuine its head can swivel
and the AF assist for it works wonders on the 5Dmk2
it works well for the 580exII i use and has very good range, lower light = better range
only problem is its still  IR and needs line of sight
I think it was about $100 so pretty good value especially if you are starting out
it retains full eTTL control just like the genuine ST-E2

lfcfanatic:
I own 5D Mark II, 5D Mark III, Yongnuo STE2 and Speedlite 580EXII. Currently, I can get 5D Mark II, Yongnuo STE2 and 580EXII to work properly. AS for 5D Mark III, I can trigger 580EXII with Yongnuo STE2 but in my images, there's no any effect of flash on it. I saw from reviews that they took out AF assist beam from the latest STE3. A big downer I would say. Anybody managed to get 5D Mark III to work with Canon/Yongnuo STE2?

simonM:
I've also found that the Yongnuo ST-E2 doesn't work with the 5d iii and 580 flash, seems to be out of sync with the shutter.

Viggo:
How do you use a af-assist unit when using radio triggers? And is it ever really to dark for the 5d3 AF? I have shot in places where I can't see what I'm aiming at with out a problem, and it doesn't work in Servo anyways. When I use wireless flash I have a radio mounted on cam, no room for a assist-unit. And also if absolutely needed my triggers support af-assist wirelessly.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version