September 16, 2014, 08:06:11 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?  (Read 117751 times)

briansquibb

Re: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »

I'm sorry, but this is such a naive addage. Skill certainly plays a role, but better equipment in the hands of a skilled photographer WILL improve that photographers capabilities. Both the 5D III and D800 will help a skilled photographer produce better photographs and higher rates of keepers.

The IQ of my prints would improve enormously with a top of the range printer, no other work needed to get better prints.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2012, 01:07:25 PM »
Canon is doing one important thing better the Nikon D800 and that is delivering product.  I've had a D800 order in since February and I still hear nothing.  Canon is delivering product (unless you are talking super-tele,  1Dx, or the new 24-70 II).  This seems like a strange time.  Canon is announcing all these new video cameras and lenses all over 10k or 15k.  I'm guessing we are lucky to even have gotten the 5D III still camera - no wonder it was $3,500.

D_Rochat

« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
http://youtu.be/omTo7UxbJX8

I think this is pretty fair ?

Here's part 2. Part three has yet to come out, but it's a very fair real world review.

http://youtu.be/4W9EeDCaVFM
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:57:40 PM by D_Rochat »

Longvision

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2012, 03:04:22 PM »
I haven't read the whole thread, but here's my reply to the OP.

In its latest issue, the French magazine "Chasseur d'Images" did a side by side review of both the 5DIII & D800. There conclusion is not at all that of the OP.

For those who don't know, Chasseur d'Images is a respected review, that has very systematic testing protocols. you might not agree with there approach, but you can't deny that they come closest to what you might call scientifically grounded tests.

The review of the two cameras where both in the lab and in the field. TO make a 30 page long story short, here's their summarized conclusion.

The resolution advantage of the Nikon is only relative as it will matter only for prints A2 (40cm x 60cm) and higher. However, Nikon is a clear DR winner with 14 il at 100iso. The Canon only has 12il. The difference equalizes as you move up the iso scale. They do note however that the Canon raws still give plenty of room for highlight and shadow recovery, and that they can sustain severe post treatment. At higher iso, the DIII pulls ahead (less noise), delivering useable results at 12800, where the Nikon pretty much breaks down. Still, they rate the high iso of the Nikon impressive given its resolution. At 3200iso, the 2 cameras are practically equal.

AF on fast incoming mobiles yields a slight advantage to the Canon. All in all, however, both cameras seem to deliver very high, responsive and reliable performance in this department.

In spite of its less sophisticated metering system, the Canon delivers very good and reliable results. So does the Nikon, but that should have been expected as the D700 already excelled at that.

Noise : the Canon has a clear advantage over the Nikon, even in standard mode. The canon silent mode receives raving comments : it makes it possible to use continuous shooting in a concert hall. The camera might be heard only during a triple pianissimo or a flute solo, the reveiwer says. Sound measurement in silent mode yields 52db, more less the same level as the mirrorless Sony nex5.

menus and interface : there seems to be an agreement that the Canon is ahead.

Viewfinder : both are bright, crisp, and pleasant for people who wear glasses.

Very few negative points on either cameras. Nikon : the size of the files which makes it imperative to have up to date computer equipment. Canon : the 1/200 sync speed which receives a real bashing. Oh, and Nikon's program mode in video seems a bit inferior to the Canon, but I don't do video so I didn't fully understand : it seems D800 allows excessive shutter speed (?) .

My conclusion from the full reading of these reviews : both cameras probably exceed the needs of most photographers. What really differenciate them is 1. Nikon's extra 2il of DR at low iso ; 2. Canon's silent mode, and ultra high iso (12800 and up).

In other words, people shooting events, shows, concerts etc, might be better off with the 5DIII, while landscape photographers should opt for the D800. Still the reviewer concludes that both cameras are impressively versatile, so there might not be very convincing reasons to switch if you have money already invested in one system.

Hope that helps.

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2012, 04:21:41 PM »
Still the reviewer concludes that both cameras are impressively versatile, so there might not be very convincing reasons to switch if you have money already invested in one system.

Sounds like a sensible conclusion. Try telling people that though...

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2012, 05:14:16 PM »
Canon should have priced the 5D3 the same as the D800.  That would've helped.  By pricing it $500 higher, it creates an automatic impression that it is 'supposed' to be a better camera.  If they are equally as good (which I'd like to believe), they should be closer price-wise.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

Louis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »
I was going to buy a Mark3 untill I saw 100% crops and how soft the images are, yes I have seen a few that have been somewhat sharp, but I cant take the risk, I need the camera in my hands and my own memory card to come home with and look at the images, I am a Canon user with a 5D mark2 and is happy apart from the autofocas, I have seen how stupid sharp that D800 is and it does make me sad that my own brand who I really do love is making me worried, I even checked the 1DX samples, and wasnt so sure how many where tact sharp at 100% I am talking studio set up shots,

anyway, lets see

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2012, 06:06:04 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
For my shooting needs, the 5D3 is a more versatile machine, but even if I was a landscape or fashion photographer where the D800's DR and resolution advantage would be more useful, the gap isn't nearly large enough to warrant switching systems. At best, I'd concede that this round goes to Nikon, and hope Canon can close the gap with successive models. At worst, I'd buy a D800 and one or two lenses to supplement my Canon gear.

Now, if Canon never catches up and Nikon destroys Canon well into the future, then I'd consider switching systems at that point. Despite the internet hoopla, I don't think we're anywhere near that point yet.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2012, 06:50:21 PM »
Here's part 2. Part three has yet to come out, but it's a very fair real world review.

http://youtu.be/4W9EeDCaVFM

Nikon color = Yuck

takoman46

« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2012, 06:54:16 PM »
Check out these comparison videos of the 5D Mark III and D800. I like that these videos show the two cameras in real world shooting applications instead of the usual rant about this one is better than that one because of tech specs or scientific hardware analysis. I think such comparisons don't hold much water over how they actually perform head-to-head in the same conditions.  I am a 5D Mark III owner and these videos fall very close to what I have experienced with my copy. Note that the host WAS a Canon shooter and is NOW a Nikon shooter, but yet he seems to give credit where it is due towards each camera.  There is a 3rd and final video that is not yet published covering the video performance of both cameras.  So to all those who say that the D800 is the "BEST"; the 5D MARK III can definitely hold it's own in comparison and also clearly has areas where it outshines the D800.

In the first video, what I gather is that the D800 with 36mp captures more detail (DUH...) and is more suited towards studio photography with controlled lighting.
Canon 5D MK III vs Nikon D800 with Nathan Elson

Interestingly, the dynamic range and color reproduction of the 5D Mark III is shown to be better than the D800 in the second video. So much for the scientific DxO analysis of the D800 sensor, eh?
Canon 5D Mark III vs. Nikon D800 Part 2 with Mike Drew

Oops, I didn't realize that these videos were already posted on this thread. LOL oh well
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 06:57:52 PM by takoman46 »

1982chris911

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • View my Flickr Stream here
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »
Having the 5d MK III now and also having tested the D800 for a short time there are some very clear advantages the 5d MK III has for me:

First the C1 - C3 complete setting recall: If you use these you can easily adapt to many situations where on the D800 switching settings takes ages. This is very important if only carry one camera body with you.

Second the lower MP count has a hugh advantage when you need to process images on the go. Did anyone ever take a D800 to travel and take about 500 to 1000 pics a day? With a current high end notebook/mac the file size of the 5d MkIII is still easy to handle. With a D800 this is really no longer the case.

Third the interchangeability of batteries and a lot of equipment with the 7D and 5D MkII if you own both. The system is just lighter and easier to travel with. This also makes a difference when traveling a lot.

Fourth the very high quality of Canon Jpegs that nearly need no post - all the Nikon shots I have seen so far where real advantages in IQ are noticeable needed a lot of post work from the raw. So here the canon wins again if you just don't have the time resources to really work with the large amount of data the d800generates in every single picture ...     

Fifth the Ergonometric of the Canon body, this may only be me, but I feel much more comfortable with the 5d than with the D800 in this respect ...

So all in all I would say the following: The 5d MKIII is the much better camera for serious amateurs, ppl who do travel a lot (including most ppl doing landscape) and ppl who are not only shooting one of the dedicated fields of the D800 (fashion, studio and high res landscape).
The D800 wins where the highest level of detail is needed and where ppl commonly need to print extremely large (over 36' x 24'). However there are programs like Genuine Fractals, which have long been used to scale up resolution so this advantage can more or less be nullified when real high res is needed (very large 300 dpi prints as even the d800 needs to be pumped up here)

This is just my very subjective impression, so don't grill me for it ... ;-)

5D MKII, 5D MK III, 7D, Sigma 12-24 HSM2, Canon 17-40 F/4.0 L, Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L , Ext x2 III + some other stuff

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
This is just my very subjective impression, so don't grill me for it ... ;-)

How dare you formulate your impressions after using both bodies in the field instead of quoting some lab tests :)

Fourth the very high quality of Canon Jpegs that nearly need no post - all the Nikon shots I have seen so far where real advantages in IQ are noticeable needed a lot of post work from the raw. So here the canon wins again if you just don't have the time resources to really work with the large amount of data the d800generates in every single picture ...   

I shot a car race recently, and afterwards, the client wanted to downloaded jpegs straight onto his laptop. I know only amateurs and soccer moms shoot jpeg, but the ability to hand over high quality jpegs on a whim, when you don't have to opportunity to touch raw files up in post, is a huge benefit at times. To me, the out-of-camera Nikon files look like ass. That would bother me a heck of a lot more than, and take up more of my time to fix in post, than the 5DIII's disadvantage in DR.   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 07:18:07 PM by V8Beast »

1982chris911

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • View my Flickr Stream here
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

I shot a car race recently, and afterwards, the client wanted to downloaded jpegs straight onto his laptop. I know only amateurs and soccer moms shoot jpeg, but the ability to hand over high quality jpegs on a whim, when you don't have to opportunity to touch raw files up in post, is a huge benefit at times. To me, the out-of-camera Nikon files look like ass. That would bother me a heck of a lot more than, and take up more of my time to fix in post, than the 5DIII's disadvantage in DR.   

The strange thing is that most Pros I know switch to Jpeg once they are shooting events where they are taking large amounts of pictures and not doing dedicated (set up) work like fashion or product photography (when they usually would not use any equipment currently offered by Nikon or Canon ... MF anyone ?), as they also don't have the time to work with hundreds of raws ...

On a side note imagine the following not completely unimaginable scenario: Doing a one to two week photography trip where you would take 5 to 10k pictures ... do you still like 80MB raws afterwards with you limited processing power of a consumer notebook/mac ? I really don't think so and that is for what I need and want my camera to function perfectly ...       
5D MKII, 5D MK III, 7D, Sigma 12-24 HSM2, Canon 17-40 F/4.0 L, Canon 24-70 F/2.8 L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 IS II L , Ext x2 III + some other stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2012, 07:42:34 PM »
The strange thing is that most Pros I know switch to Jpeg once they are shooting events where they are taking large amounts of pictures and not doing dedicated (set up) work like fashion or product photography (when they usually would not use any equipment currently offered by Nikon or Canon ... MF anyone ?), as they also don't have the time to work with hundreds of raws ...

That's not strange at all. Shooting jpeg has a certain stigma to it, but both raw and jpeg have their time and place. If you're traveling for weeks at a time, I can see how even 25 mb raws would get cumbersome. Sometimes I'll edit a raw file only to end up with a massive TIFF that looks a lot like the out-of-camera jpeg, then wonder what's the point :)

BTW, I love your landscapes and architectural shots. Great stuff!

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »
Can the 5D3 be set up to save RAW to the CompactFlash card and JPEG to the SD card simultaneously?
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:32 PM »