October 01, 2014, 08:54:09 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?  (Read 118743 times)

silat shooters

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?
« Reply #360 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »
I agree about the Mark III being better at taking my 8 EOS lenses over the D800.  Don't know if it's been mentioned but small quibble where I also find the Mark III better:

Quiet Mode (vastly superior to D800 similar mode and very useful in application)

The Rear Grip area where the Thumb sits, the folks at Nikon seem to miss that.  Your thumb just slides off.  You have to squeeze the camera body to hold it securely.  The Mark III address the ergonomic better for shooting.

I got to say I'm very impressed with the Mark III, it's a really nice camera to shoot and files are truly gorgeous!  I come here and read these posts and agree that the D800 appears to be a better camera for less money.  That makes it worse frankly.  But I enjoy using the Mark III so much more than Mark II.  It's truly superior on soo many key ways.  I've read that there's not much difference in IQ between the two but to my eye, high ISO is better and love the camera NAILS focus consistently and is more responsive.  My keeper rate is much, much higher with the Mark III. 

I bit my lip and paid the $3500 and really enjoy the camera.  But do feel it should be $2999.00.  It's a great camera but I don't see what makes it worth $500 more than the D800, outside of possibly the focusing system.

The camera is paying for itself but as a consumer I like to feel like I'm getting good value.  This purchase made me feel like I was paying a premium to stay 'in the club'.  It wasn't a warm fuzzy feeling.  Whereas, Nikon buyers feel like they are getting a bargain, 36megs, 200K shutter, same focusing system as D4, built-in flash, 100% viewfinder coverage, weather-sealing, great metering system for $500 less than the Mark III.  Hard to argue with that comparison. 

Canon has a HUGE video shooting base, and video shooters are used to paying far more for their cameras so they may have priced to camera based on that.  I don't know, just throwing out an idea.  But when I start to feel frustrated about what I paid for the camera, I pick it up and start to use and forget about that and just enjoy it.  The camera is really a "tool" now, for me much more so than the Mark II was.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #360 on: June 29, 2012, 11:11:31 AM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 29, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
I agree about the Mark III being better at taking my 8 EOS lenses over the D800.  Don't know if it's been mentioned but small quibble where I also find the Mark III better:

Quiet Mode (vastly superior to D800 similar mode and very useful in application)

The Rear Grip area where the Thumb sits, the folks at Nikon seem to miss that.  Your thumb just slides off.  You have to squeeze the camera body to hold it securely.  The Mark III address the ergonomic better for shooting.

I got to say I'm very impressed with the Mark III, it's a really nice camera to shoot and files are truly gorgeous!  I come here and read these posts and agree that the D800 appears to be a better camera for less money.  That makes it worse frankly.  But I enjoy using the Mark III so much more than Mark II.  It's truly superior on soo many key ways.  I've read that there's not much difference in IQ between the two but to my eye, high ISO is better and love the camera NAILS focus consistently and is more responsive.  My keeper rate is much, much higher with the Mark III. 

I bit my lip and paid the $3500 and really enjoy the camera.  But do feel it should be $2999.00.  It's a great camera but I don't see what makes it worth $500 more than the D800, outside of possibly the focusing system.

The camera is paying for itself but as a consumer I like to feel like I'm getting good value.  This purchase made me feel like I was paying a premium to stay 'in the club'.  It wasn't a warm fuzzy feeling.  Whereas, Nikon buyers feel like they are getting a bargain, 36megs, 200K shutter, same focusing system as D4, built-in flash, 100% viewfinder coverage, weather-sealing, great metering system for $500 less than the Mark III.  Hard to argue with that comparison. 

Canon has a HUGE video shooting base, and video shooters are used to paying far more for their cameras so they may have priced to camera based on that.  I don't know, just throwing out an idea.  But when I start to feel frustrated about what I paid for the camera, I pick it up and start to use and forget about that and just enjoy it.  The camera is really a "tool" now, for me much more so than the Mark II was.

Can I take a chance of your experience with 5DMkIII and ask you about sharpness ?  It seems to me that the case with updated DPP was to deal with the more powerful AA filter. I do not wish a camera with a strong AA filter. I have never observed Moire in my 5DMkII and I would feel stupid to pay so much for a camera that needs more sharpening  >:(

P.S I use my 5DmkII for stills (mostly landscapes)...

silat shooters

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: June 29, 2012, 11:59:34 PM »
Can I take a chance of your experience with 5DMkIII and ask you about sharpness ?  It seems to me that the case with updated DPP was to deal with the more powerful AA filter. I do not wish a camera with a strong AA filter. I have never observed Moire in my 5DMkII and I would feel stupid to pay so much for a camera that needs more sharpening  >:(

P.S I use my 5DmkII for stills (mostly landscapes)...
[/quote]

To my eye, the Mark III has better sharpness than my Mark II.  Not sure whether it's the sensor, or the improved AF, or the way noise in processed in the image, but it's noticeable.  I hadn't heard or read that.  I would suggest you rent a Mark III for a day or two and test it yourself before investing the sizable $$$$ in one.  But I can tell you that the shooting experience is considerably improved over the Mark II.  Hope this helps.

Infrared_Fred

« Reply #363 on: June 30, 2012, 05:25:13 AM »
With any Canon body you can buy any SDHC SDXC or CF Card or Both depending on your body from any manufacturer from 1 gig to 512 gig with nikon you have to buy San Disc proprietary Nikon storage media and a 32 Gig card is going to set you back 230$ and the more storage you desire the smaller your wallet will get,with Canon and my Pro discount i can get a pair of San Disc SDXC universal card's that are 128 gig's and still go out to a nice lunch ,whereas you and your Nikon can't make it through a Pre wedding, wedding and reception without dumping your card onto something else which means your missing "Money Shots" changing cards or something else that is costing you additional money because it has to be set up for Nikons proprietary system so your carrying more gear spending more money and losing pictures in order to Play Nikon, i in 35mm swore by my Nikon F3 HP Titanium's that i used, but in the digital age Canon's Digic proccesor is hands down the absolute winner, because they have worked the same processor for years and just keep refining it and adding power to it and functionality no one else has done this. I shoot their fore i am !

paul13walnut5

« Reply #364 on: June 30, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
@Infrared_Fred
Canon's Digic proccesor is hands down the absolute winner, because they have worked the same processor for years and just keep refining it and adding power to it and functionality no one else has done this.

+1

I would add that Canon are distinct from Nikon in that they also manufacture the sensor.   Those who follow DXO labs findings slavishly ignore this point - unprocessed raws have not been through the digic, or proprietary DPP, so it's a bit like test driving a car thats had it's gearbox removed.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: June 30, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
To my eye, the Mark III has better sharpness than my Mark II.  Not sure whether it's the sensor, or the improved AF, or the way noise in processed in the image, but it's noticeable.  I hadn't heard or read that.  I would suggest you rent a Mark III for a day or two and test it yourself before investing the sizable $$$$ in one.  But I can tell you that the shooting experience is considerably improved over the Mark II.  Hope this helps.

It was mentioned on this site. Canon finally updated DPP. (I was referring to raw only).  I agree that the shooting experience has to be much better. Even the much better AF would be enough for that.

TTMartin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »
@Infrared_Fred
Canon's Digic proccesor is hands down the absolute winner, because they have worked the same processor for years and just keep refining it and adding power to it and functionality no one else has done this.

+1

I would add that Canon are distinct from Nikon in that they also manufacture the sensor.   Those who follow DXO labs findings slavishly ignore this point - unprocessed raws have not been through the digic, or proprietary DPP, so it's a bit like test driving a car thats had it's gearbox removed.

I've just come to the conclusion that DxOMark is as fair and balanced towards Canon, as MSNBC is to the Republicans or FoxNews is to the Democrats.

I've spent hours poring through DxOMark.com, trying to find a rational explanation why their scores so poorly reflect real world output of cameras. All, I've found was more things that point to outright bias, than to real unbiased testing. 
Tom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #366 on: July 02, 2012, 10:12:58 AM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #367 on: July 02, 2012, 11:01:54 AM »
I recently read side-by-side reviews in a consumer photo magazine.

Their tests matched what I expected. The D800 is superior in resolution, but starts to fall apart at ISO 1600. The 5DIII's resolution can't match the D800, but at 1600 and above, Canon clearly outperforms the D800.

So, basically, pay your money and take your pick. If you want really big prints and don't play in the high ISO area, choose the Nikon. If you need high ISO performance and you aren't printing murals, pick the 5DIII.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #368 on: July 02, 2012, 11:14:49 AM »
If you need high ISO performance and you aren't printing murals, pick the 5DIII.

... or the 5d2 at nearly half the price - I for one cannot tell raw samples apart up to iso3200, but of course ymmv.

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:15 AM »
I recently read side-by-side reviews in a consumer photo magazine.

Their tests matched what I expected. The D800 is superior in resolution, but starts to fall apart at ISO 1600. The 5DIII's resolution can't match the D800, but at 1600 and above, Canon clearly outperforms the D800.

So, basically, pay your money and take your pick. If you want really big prints and don't play in the high ISO area, choose the Nikon. If you need high ISO performance and you aren't printing murals, pick the 5DIII.

And also if you don't need the FPS, great AF, AWB, etc.   ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

SuperCrazySamurai

« Reply #370 on: July 02, 2012, 11:48:59 AM »
It recently occured to me after Nikon announced that with a grip the D800 shoots 6 FPS that I can't find a single advantage to the 5D3 over the D800. Here's what I know so far:

5D3 vs D800/E by catagory:

Dynamic Range: Inferior
Color Fidelity: Inferior
Noise: Equal
FPS: Equal (with a grip)
Video: Inferior
Autofocus: Equal (both are pro level)/Inferior (no f/8.0)/Superior (better with fast lenses due to special f/2.8 sensors)
White Balance: Inferior
Auto Exposure: Inferior
In Camera Lens Correction: Inferior
Pop up Flash: Inferior
Price: Inferior
Resolution: Inferior
AA filter: Inferior

I realize that the 5D3 has a better menu system, so that's one thing it can possibly do better.

Also please don't smite me. I'm not trying to bash the 5D3, as I'm actually a Canon fan and will be getting the 5D3, but can anyone think of one major feature that the 5D3 does better than the D800? If so feel free to post, I'm just trying to get informed here.

Thanks. :)

I think the better question is:

"Can the photog with the 5dmk3 do anything better than the photog with the D800?"

At the end of the day the client does not care about the gear, just the quality of the shots. In the end its really a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Cheers!

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #371 on: July 02, 2012, 11:52:06 AM »
And This EPIC Thread Lives on. 25 pages worth of controversy. 8)

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »

C'mon, we're so close to 26!   ;D

Honestly though, I am a gearhead as much as the next guy and love the latest and greatest toys, but people on these threads do seem to get carried away.  I mean, with the new 24-70 announced, all the sudden you would think no one ever sold or published a photo from the Mark I.  There is so much more to tech (and life) than just the specs.

Can't I use the 5D3 simply because I "like" it?  Maybe it's the weight, or the button placement or the menuing system or something completely intangible.  I really don't see anyone LOSING BUSINESS because they use a 5D3 instead of a D800 or a Mark I L lens instead of a Mark II.  Get a good camera, some great glass and take pictures.  If the budget allows, by all means get the latest and greatest.  But also don't be surprised if some great work turns up from equipment that isn't (the latest and greatest).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #372 on: July 02, 2012, 04:34:09 PM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #373 on: July 02, 2012, 04:48:03 PM »

Honestly though, I am a gearhead as much as the next guy and love the latest and greatest toys, but people on these threads do seem to get carried away.  I mean, with the new 24-70 announced, all the sudden you would think no one ever sold or published a photo from the Mark I.  There is so much more to tech (and life) than just the specs.

Can't I use the 5D3 simply because I "like" it?  Maybe it's the weight, or the button placement or the menuing system or something completely intangible.  I really don't see anyone LOSING BUSINESS because they use a 5D3 instead of a D800 or a Mark I L lens instead of a Mark II.  Get a good camera, some great glass and take pictures.  If the budget allows, by all means get the latest and greatest.  But also don't be surprised if some great work turns up from equipment that isn't (the latest and greatest).

A few months ago there was a "Wildlife Photographer of the Year" exhibit at a local museum and they had maybe upwards of 100 large prints on display from winners and runner ups. Under each image was the camera and settings that were used. While most had pro grade equipment, quite a few were using Rebels and they were nothing short of stunning. I didn't hear one person in the museum mutter anything about DR or complain about MP.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #374 on: July 02, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »

Set your forum preferences to display more messages per page, then there's only 8 pages and everything seems much calmer :-)

While most had pro grade equipment, quite a few were using Rebels and they were nothing short of stunning. I didn't hear one person in the museum mutter anything about DR or complain about MP.

No one disputes that you can shoot stellar photos with a pinhole camera. But you're reasoning is flawed: Of course people didn't complain about dr/mp, because the shots that would have suffered from the lack of these either were not shot in the first place or were not shown in the exposition. So the real, but impossible to answer question is: How many more good shots could have been taken by upgraded equipment?

Btw: If the cameras were advertised with the shots, I guess most pro camera bodies were sponsored by the respective manufacturer - to that's a bias, too.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #374 on: July 02, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »