October 22, 2014, 10:28:12 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?  (Read 119949 times)

commercialshooter

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?
« Reply #390 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »
Funny that Ken Rockwell is a Nikon guy and he flat out thought the 5D3 was a better camera then the Nikon D800.  Basically if you read his article he states that there are better cameras out there for any one thing.  The beauty of the 5D3 is that it does everything well.  If you are after a camera that you can have with you and it will do any type of shooting well then there is no better option then the 5D3.  That's what he is saying.  You want higher res and dynamic range for landscapes then there are better options...but those options will not be better at almost anything else.  He also said that ease of use and the ability of the camera to get the job done efficiently were more important then pixel peeping.  I agree. 

The 5D3 is a great camera that takes amazing pictures.  All of the people whining that Canon is losing the battle to Nikon are wasting their time.  Canon is not going away and they will not change their pricing because Nikon wants to low-ball them.  Personally I find these discussions laughable because the people that are all complaining about how the 5D3 has terrible dynamic range probably don't do anything with a camera that would justify more dynamic range.  Go ahead and print a 24" x 36" poster print of a 5D3 image and a D800 image and see if you could blindly tell the difference.  I bet you couldn't.  How many of you actually EVER print bigger than that?

You don't like the direction Canon is going?  Go buy a Nikon.  I DON'T CARE.  Have fun.  I'll be doing my job and getting paid for shooting with my Canon.  Oh..and by the way...not one client has ever said, "You might want to think about changing cameras.  That one seems to have poor dynamic range."  I went from a 1DS2 to the 5D3 and no one knows the difference except me.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #390 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:55 AM »

D_Rochat

« Reply #391 on: July 06, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »
Funny that Ken Rockwell is a Nikon guy and he flat out thought the 5D3 was a better camera then the Nikon D800.  Basically if you read his article he states that there are better cameras out there for any one thing.  The beauty of the 5D3 is that it does everything well.  If you are after a camera that you can have with you and it will do any type of shooting well then there is no better option then the 5D3.  That's what he is saying.  You want higher res and dynamic range for landscapes then there are better options...but those options will not be better at almost anything else.  He also said that ease of use and the ability of the camera to get the job done efficiently were more important then pixel peeping.  I agree. 

The 5D3 is a great camera that takes amazing pictures.  All of the people whining that Canon is losing the battle to Nikon are wasting their time.  Canon is not going away and they will not change their pricing because Nikon wants to low-ball them.  Personally I find these discussions laughable because the people that are all complaining about how the 5D3 has terrible dynamic range probably don't do anything with a camera that would justify more dynamic range.  Go ahead and print a 24" x 36" poster print of a 5D3 image and a D800 image and see if you could blindly tell the difference.  I bet you couldn't.  How many of you actually EVER print bigger than that?

You don't like the direction Canon is going?  Go buy a Nikon.  I DON'T CARE.  Have fun.  I'll be doing my job and getting paid for shooting with my Canon.  Oh..and by the way...not one client has ever said, "You might want to think about changing cameras.  That one seems to have poor dynamic range."  I went from a 1DS2 to the 5D3 and no one knows the difference except me.

It's better to just save your breath. The complainers just want to complain no matter what sort of logic you throw at them. Besides most of the ones that are bitching have never even touched a 5D Mark III or D800.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #392 on: July 06, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
It is like what's better an s class or a 7 series.  A few of us might have an opinion, some might even base it on having driven an E class or a 3 series.  But how many of us will actually buy a brand new s class or 7 series?

It's more fun going for a drive than talking about hypothetical cars, it's also more fun taking photos than talking about hypothetical cameras.

Canon have lost it.  Finished.  Blah blah blah.   How come the same voices keep coming back?  If you're going to Nikon, begone, and give us all peace. 

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #393 on: July 06, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »

I like reading Ken's stuff. Its good information but like all things, You have to sift thru the crap to get the good information.

D_Rochat

« Reply #394 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:45 AM »
I like reading Ken's stuff. Its good information but like all things, You have to sift thru the crap to get the good information.

Better bring a big a** sifter!  ;D

paul13walnut5

« Reply #395 on: July 06, 2012, 11:46:09 AM »
Go ahead and print a 24" x 36" poster print of a 5D3 image and a D800 image and see if you could blindly tell the difference.  I bet you couldn't.  How many of you actually EVER print bigger than that?

How many even print that big?  I think I got a canvas done at 30x40" (entirely different resolution ball game) but even 15x10" is big for me these days.

commercialshooter

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: July 06, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of people who have made big prints before.  The point is unless you do it all the time why are you sitting here complaining that Nikon has a 36 mp camera and the Canon equivalent is only 22 mp.  Really?  You can make a VERY large print from a 22mp camera and have it hold up quite well.  Unless you are Peter Lik and sell wall sized images for $10,000.00 each you don't need 36 mp. and frankly the extra resolution will do you virtually no good at all.

That's my problem with the complainers.  These are the same people that just want specs.  For the most part they don't actually shoot images that need those specs anyway.

Two other points...Do the Nikon lenses even have the resolving power to give you36 MP worth of data?  I don't think so.  I think I read that the average pro level SLR lens maxes out at about 25 mp anyway.

My other point...people are all up in arms about Dynamic range...excuse me but aren't contrasty images much more pleasing to the eye in general?  By definition you can't really have a contrasty image and high dynamic range.  You get clipping but that is okay.  The images have punch.  HDR is either fake looking or flat for the most part because there is not enough contrast.  Just my 2 cents...worth about 1 cent probably...lol.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #396 on: July 06, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #397 on: July 06, 2012, 12:18:38 PM »
got my mk3 in on tuesday, and the word WOW has popped out of my mouth several times as I have used it.  after following all these posts as i considered the purchase, its now even fuinnier to read all this stuff.  In an hour, off to go shoot a wedding with the mk3, and I am very glad I didn't have to buy several more CF cards like I would have had to with a d800 (sRAW on the mk3 is pretty freaking nice, IQ wise, sRAW looks like it could stand against a full RAW from my 7D.)  With the d800, have fun losing the FF capabilities so save some space. 

In my local photographers community, the whole d800 thing has come up, and the nikon guys say this ---- for weddings, the d800 would be in the bag 90% of the time, only popping out for the few key moments ----because the file sizes are just way to big for wedding work.   In regard, do the math to see which is more worthwhile -- $3000 for a camera that will just be extra weight in your bag 90% of the time, or $3500 on a cam you will use 95% of the time (this only applies to wedding/event shooters - again, if landscapes are your bread and butter the size of d800 would be more manageable). 

The d800 really seems to be a niche camera.  If I were making my living shooting landscapes, then yeah its a fine choice, but if you work in a variety of settings, you really can't beat the mk3.  It's just such a versatile camera. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 06, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »
commercial shooter you're preaching to the choir here.  ;)
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #399 on: July 06, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

Better bring a big a** sifter!  ;D

Lolz.  ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #400 on: July 06, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »
Go ahead and print a 24" x 36" poster print of a 5D3 image and a D800 image and see if you could blindly tell the difference.  I bet you couldn't.  How many of you actually EVER print bigger than that?

How many even print that big?  I think I got a canvas done at 30x40" (entirely different resolution ball game) but even 15x10" is big for me these days.

I regularly print in A2 and have some commercial images on A0 - off 21mp

commercialshooter

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 06, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one that isn't living in la la land!

briansquibb

« Reply #402 on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one that isn't living in la la land!

and I am only a happy snapper  ;D ;D ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #402 on: July 06, 2012, 01:28:27 PM »

Guru

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 06, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »
Complaining about file sizes? How is that an issue really? Canon shooter here, doing event photography, and i sure as heck not shooting in RAW all the time.
If i had a 36Mp camera, i doubt i will be shooting at full res outside studio work - even for a wedding.
Both cameras are the same price as a second hand car - its a lot to be tossing unless you really need it.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »
It was probably mentioned earlier but...in addition to the extra 2 fps, the 5d3 has many more cross type AF points and a much better LCD...and a great silent shutter which I'm finding quite handy.

In March I switched from Nikon to the Canon 5d3 because I had been wanting to move up to FF.  I'm happy with the 5d3, it's a great all around camera but I wanted to stick with Nikon.  I was disappointed when they announced the d800 specs. Like many other dark siders I was hoping for a follow up to the d700, with:
1. a bump in mp to 18-22
2. the Exmor sensor and more DR
3, the same AF
4. The same 8 fps
5. The same or better low light capability

Nikon would have killed canon with a camera like that...killed the 5d3 anyway, but I digress.  So I switched to the 5d3 for its great all around capability.

With that said, I completely understand why some canonites are disappointed with this camera.....3-4 years since the 5d2 and canon didn't improve the IQ or meaningfully bump the MP's...and the result is only a 1/2 stop improvment in high ISO NR in raw.  The 5d2 should have already had a great AF, so I discount that improvement somewhat. 

So again, I get why some might complain about the 5d3, but for me, the 5d3 was pretty close to what I was looking for from Nikon, but they blew it IMO and now I'm a canonite.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 05:55:40 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #404 on: July 06, 2012, 09:58:23 PM »