July 28, 2014, 03:53:04 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?  (Read 115079 times)

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
Points well taken. If I was now starting from scratch (like I did in 2010 after going digital) I'd have a very close look at the D800e - just like I did then with the D700 and the Sony alternatives.

But it's also easy to go crazy with all this. I chose the 5DII and haven't looked back. My main reason was the lens choices I get within the Canon system and what I was used to (coming from the FD system). So maybe I'd still make the same choice even now (which would be the 5DIII).

Let's be grateful that this back and forth between the two main competitors continues. Canon just delivered two top notch bodies (or so it seems). And added the kind of flash system that everyone has been calling for for years now. I'm sure a high resolution body will follow in the not too far future as an answer to the D800(e). I don't think it's a fair comparison that you're making. Those cameras are for different purposes it seems and will likely work very well for their respective applications.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »
Dont let other people bring you down to their level.  If you look at what most people wanted improved upon with the 5d3... AF, ISO, Handling, etc... Canon did just that, they listened to their consumer base, and they still get dragged in the mud... some people will never be happy. Enjoy your new camera an post pics when you can!

And what would be "their" level?
No doubt there're people who would never be  happy but most of the fuzz around here is well based. Aside confronting it with the competition (and rightly so) many people do have expectations after a theoretical 4years of R&D; slapping a hacked up AF/meter from 2 other cams to replace a decade old one and a sensor that its novelty is more geared towards videographers is bound to leave many people unhappy.
And for me its this people and this fuzz that pushes companies into fixing things rather than people "up your level" who are happy with whatever Canon throws at them.

dadgummit

« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
I have a question.

Are all of the conclusions in the original post made from comparing JPEG samples from pre-production bodies?

To me most of the points are moot since they are adjusted in post anyway. 

I have no doubt both are going to be excellent cameras but here is my opinion on how the two are going to be viewed once the actual  in-production copy reviews are in:

I do expect the 5D 3 to have a few stops better noise in high ISO shots (simple physics). 

The D800's many pixels you will have more effective reach since you can crop the heck out of the shot and have plenty of detail left.

Just comparing the bodies (all lenses aside) I would think the decision would be do you want the best hi ISO or the ability to crop more.   If you shoot concerts at night the 5d3 wins, If you need more reach than your lens can provide the extra pixels of the d800 will help. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:25:12 AM by dadgummit »

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »
What are the conclusions such as dynamic range and color accuracy based on?  I would really like to the the DXOlabs reports on both cameras, but they have not been done yet.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 11:31:47 AM »
I'm upgrading from the 5D Mark II to the III. I'm sticking with Canon mainly due to the lens choices (I own all L lenses). I also like how rich and sharp my photos come out. Maybe it's just me but photos taken from Nikons always look soft and the color always seems off. The samples I have seen from the D800 haven't changed my mind.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 11:32:16 AM »
This fourm is like a bunch of 10 year old boys arguing over if Batman can kick Superman's ass.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
This fourm is like a bunch of 10 year old boys arguing over if Batman can kick Superman's ass.

Haha +1 totally agree
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »

Xtobolic

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
I'm upgrading from the 5D Mark II to the III. I'm sticking with Canon mainly due to the lens choices (I own all L lenses). I also like how rich and sharp my photos come out. Maybe it's just me but photos taken from Nikons always look soft and the color always seems off. The samples I have seen from the D800 haven't changed my mind.

You own all the L-lenses?  :o

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2012, 11:53:01 AM »
Is it that Canon shooters are the most open minded shooters out there or have we gone crazy?  You go onto nikonrumors, say one bad thing about nikon, and you get openly flogged... you go onto canonrumors, say bad things about canon and people agree... right or wrong, if you love what the 5d3 has to offer, great, buy it if you are in a position to... If not, dont buy it, buy a 5d2, buy a 1d series, jump to nokin if you have to, but lets bring civility onto this board at least until the cameras are released, test, and found wanting.

That is because Canon users are getting hosed and they know it. I have been a loyal Canon buyer for almost my entire pro life and I feel like Nikon has better technology and value. Why settle for less?

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2012, 11:53:16 AM »

You own all the L-lenses?  :o
How about 50mm 1.0L, 200mm 1.8L and 800mm 5.6L ::) ::)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »
And what would be "their" level?

Can has answered 99% of all complaints, suggestions, and issues with the 5d2 and added extra software and really upgraded the AF over and beyond nikons and people still aren't happy...  People are comparing features, griping about this and that before the freaking camera has even been released and put through the wringer... People are declaring it inept without actually shooting it... Every camera release canon has had, except for the 5d classic has always been met with harsh criticisms and i'm frankly tired of hearing people groan... crap or get off the pot. 

Aside confronting it with the competition (and rightly so) many people do have expectations after a theoretical 4years of R&D; slapping a hacked up AF/meter from 2 other cams to replace a decade old one and a sensor that its novelty is more geared towards videographers is bound to leave many people unhappy.

If Canon pumped out the camera before nikon ever introduced a D800, no one would be griping about DR, no one would be griping about ISO, AF, etc... it would have been praised as the camera all others would be measured to because of lack of something to compare to.. How is the 1dx AF system in the 5d3 hacked up?  Seriously?  It's the same damn system, just no IFCL meter, which is just for advanced tracking and metering... Even with that, it has the 7D meter... i haven't heard anyone on any blog ever complain about the 7D meter... It's not the newest or shinest, but it's a better combo than the 1d4... seriously, when they're tested i'm sure the 5d3 will stand up well against the D800's AF if not surpass it, much in the same way the 7D's AF rated higher than the D300's.  the sensor size is a nice fit, a nice compromise, and when I was asked, and the general consensus of other pro photographers, very few were asking for more MP... I said, and many others on this forum, that our dream camera was the 5d2 sensor in a 7D body and AF... Canon delivered, and went way beyond...

And for me its this people and this fuzz that pushes companies into fixing things rather than people "up your level" who are happy with whatever Canon throws at them.

Get off your high horse... I'm more than happy to use/want/evolve my photography, my business, my career to meeting my clients needs as they change through the years...  Any photographer who doesn't is being left behind... But in the end, I am grateful Canon did listen.. I'm grateful for no 30+ MP...  I'm grateful for class leasing AF system, even when compared against nikons D700/D800...  I'm grateful for video when my clients just so happen wants a short video for their website, the more they use me than look for someone else to do it, the longer I keep the client... I'm grateful for more usable ISO's for when the rare times I will need it.  You're unhappy, i get it, but dont drag others down who are. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
Is it that Canon shooters are the most open minded shooters out there or have we gone crazy?  You go onto nikonrumors, say one bad thing about nikon, and you get openly flogged... you go onto canonrumors, say bad things about canon and people agree... right or wrong, if you love what the 5d3 has to offer, great, buy it if you are in a position to... If not, dont buy it, buy a 5d2, buy a 1d series, jump to nokin if you have to, but lets bring civility onto this board at least until the cameras are released, test, and found wanting.

That is because Canon users are getting hosed and they know it. I have been a loyal Canon buyer for almost my entire pro life and I feel like Nikon has better technology and value. Why settle for less?

Nikon had their chance wooing me when the digital revolution came about... they failed to do so... In no way did I get hosed... I got the camera I needed and wanted minus the flash commander signed, sealed and delivered... If Canon isn't meeting your needs, there are a handful of other camera companies that would love your money...

Alker

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »

Indeed 10 year old boys.
Batman vs Superman.

Hosed ??? Sure !!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:25:48 PM by Alker »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »

poias

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2012, 12:08:45 PM »

Indeed 10 year old boys.
Batman vs Superman.

Hosted ??? Sure !!

When you have to pay hundreds of dollars more for a clearly inferior tool, then, yes, you are getting hosed. And if you feel you have some "loyalty" to a  brand whose manufacturer clearly sees its customers as suckers willing to shell out dough because they are "locked in", then more power to you, Mr. More Than 10 Year Old Big Boy!

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »

Indeed 10 year old boys.
Batman vs Superman.

Hosted ??? Sure !!

When you have to pay hundreds of dollars more for a clearly inferior tool, then, yes, you are getting hosed. And if you feel you have some "loyalty" to a  brand whose manufacturer clearly sees its customers as suckers willing to shell out dough because they are "locked in", then more power to you, Mr. More Than 10 Year Old Big Boy!

Yep... It CLEARLY inferior... prove it with real world apples for apples tests... Oh yeah, you cant. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »