September 23, 2014, 10:59:25 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?  (Read 118209 times)

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mk III vs D800/E, is the 5D3 better at anything?
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »
I have the right to express disagreement the same way as you satisfaction.

Having owned a Canon D60, a 5D1 and currently owning a 5D2 I was expecting the same direction progress from Canon. I was ready to buy a 1Ds Mk3 successor, which as it came out turned to a sports camera. Now Canon seems to be a sports addict with the 5D3 too (ok that's a bit aggregated). 

It is the same for many, many users.

Unfortunately I don't see how exactly it is better than a 5D2.

Well for me it is.
I have always been happy with the image quality of the 5D Mark II.
Except for some things which they have fixed in the 5D Mark III

I  really don't care if the DR is 11 or 11.5 or whatever.
So yes I am happy with the Canon 5D mark III

It is very very simple.
If you don't like the 5D Mark III .........then don't buy it....
Like there are NO good pictures in the world left after Nikon has released a 36MP..... :( :(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2012, 03:36:01 PM »

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »
The 5D3 is much better at generating controversy within this community. Check out Nikon Rumors - there is nothing like this going on there. Why not?

Good question. I'd venture to say that it's because the Nikon product line was so bad just five years ago, that even if the D800 isn't the exact camera they wanted spec wise, they're thrilled to finally have an option that can compete with Canon. On the other had, since the digital revolution Canon has set the bar very high, and its users expect nothing less than greatness. It must be odd to see how much the competition has caught up, but personally, I love competition :)

Good question indeed.  Canon, imo, has generally plateaued since 5d2..and to some degree before that.  In contrast Nikon has spiked upward dramatically.  Since the D3 / D300 launch, Nikon took the lead and has increased their position ever since.  Now, a major point in product cycles has revealed Nikon continuing to expand their leadership.  Maybe this is Nikon's peak and we're at the beginning of another cycle reversal, with the 5d4, etc leaping ahead in tech in 2014.  Maybe not.  It simply raises questions, especially when one looks at the quality of Sony sensors.

Bottom line: Only Canon koolaid drinkers can deny Nikon's overall tech leadership since the D3.  Yet, does it really matter?  I don't think so.  Again, it's just about bagging rights imo.

To some points yes, some points no... for instance you brought the D300 up... Heck it could be argued the  D200 rivaled and in some ways bested canons xxd series at the time and D300 took it one step further until canon came out with the 7D which trounced it... Flagships... It's been slight advantage nikon, but with the thinnest of margins... I feel spec wise, the only things the D800 has over the 5d3 is sensor size, pop up flash/flash commander and white balance, assuming Canon hasn't tweeked the AWB to be more accurate.  The rest really is up to personal tastes, noise can be argued all day, DR is nice but can leave an image flat looking, color fidelity canon usually has an edge but until tests are done, i'll leave it for now, FPS Canon wins, AF Canon edges nikon in most areas but will concede more tests need to be done, Oh yeah, I do like that d-min option on nikons, but canon has a d-max/highlight tone protect, so i suppose you got to take the good with the bad... In the end it's a tool, a very very very nice tool, they both are, and it's about getting the right tool for the job... and for what it's worth 7d vs D300, 5d3 vs D800, 1dx vs D4/D3x/whatever... IF canon was behind technology wise, it's not by much. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
The 5D3 is much better at generating controversy within this community. Check out Nikon Rumors - there is nothing like this going on there. Why not?

"What I absolutely don’t like is the fine grain visible even at ISO 100 in smooth middle and darker areas. I remebers me to my D300 which was great, but not so clear and smooth like my D700 at lower ISOs."

a post titled: "Guest post: Nikon D800 criticisms refuted"

"I have my D800 on preorder arriving March 21 but find it funny how all us Nikon folk are defending the D800 agains the MK3 whereas if the cameras were swapped across brands and we got the MK3 wrapped in a Nikon cloak, we’d have the whole Nikon camp cheering all its glory since it looks more like the camera we wanted as a D700 successor. "

"I think people were expecting LARGER pixels from a D800, not SIMILAR to those of enthusiast/semi-pro models."

"Just a quick poll: do you prefer the Nikon D800 the way it is, with a 36.3MP sensor, or you would rather have the D800 with the 16.2MP sensor from the Nikon D4?" Result: 58.7% for the 16MP sensor

... there's not much difference between Canon zealots and Nikon zealots, everyone thinks the grass is greener on the other side.  if you feel that pained about your gear, sell it and get what you really want.  what would probably do much more for all of our photographic improvement and skill growth, however, is for us all to get off the forums and go out and actually photograph stuff.  I don't plan on frequenting here much until 7D Mark II rumors start getting fun.  best to everyone, enjoy your gear and USE your gear

briansquibb

« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2012, 04:32:51 PM »
I think both are very capable cameras. Most people will struggle to reach the limit of their capability.

No point fretting about it - just buy the one that you want and can afford

Alker

« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
Very interesting now the D800 is also online at Image Resource.
Smear detail also in the D800....

Found this topic:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=40908215

SpartanWarrior

« Reply #95 on: March 14, 2012, 04:51:03 PM »
To me the 5D III looks better sharpness and High ISO than D800.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-d800/nikon-d800A7.HTM

Alker

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
As far as I can see.....

Both camera's have there advantages.

However if high ISO is wat you want it seems the 5D Mark III is better
However for low ISO (till 200 ISO) the D800 seems to have the upper hand due to resolution

But Nikon D800 smokes the 5D mark III ---NO WAY
But Canon 5D Mark III smokes the Nikon D800 ---NO WAY

So why the Nikon-Canon war  ;)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:02:20 PM by Alker »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: March 14, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »

tt

« Reply #97 on: March 14, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
Is there anyone who browses both canonrumors.com and Nikon forum sites ? Do Nikonites also sweat the details of unreleased Nikon cameras? See flaws in something not yet out, and debate it furiously also from the other side?
Curious to see where Nikon forum users would take their critique of the D4, D800 etc (like canonrumors does about AF, focus screens, f8 focal points etc)

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
Silent shooting...

Renato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2012, 06:09:43 PM »

Found this topic:

I have been waiting for those pic.  Now finally we can compare apples with .. Canon.  Excellent work of those folk s at IR.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2012, 06:13:39 PM »

Well for me it is.

It is very very simple.
Like there are NO good pictures in the world left after Nikon has released a 36MP..... :( :(

Well said.

and yes you are correct there are no more good pictures left in the world anymore because the D800 specs say there cant be. Its officially technically impossible for there to be any good pictures not taken with a D800 so all good picture taking has been reserved for D800 users unfortunately since it has not yet been release everyone is not allowed to take any good pictures with other cameras until they get their D800. Dont argue the specs tell us this and anyone that disagree's is a silly canon fanboi. :P

(disclaimer - for people that dont understand sarcam, that last paragraph was not meant to be serious and does not represent the true views of the poster if i knew how to make the font smaller this would be in fine print but i'm too lazy to work it out.)
APS-H Fanboy

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »

Well for me it is.

It is very very simple.

Well said.

and yes you are correct there are no more good pictures left in the world anymore because the D800 specs say there cant be. Its officially technically impossible for there to be any good pictures not taken with a D800 so all good picture taking has been reserved for D800 users unfortunately since it has not yet been release everyone is not allowed to take any good pictures with other cameras until they get their D800. Dont argue the specs tell us this and anyone that disagree's is a silly canon fanboi. :P

(disclaimer - for people that dont understand sarcam, that last paragraph was not meant to be serious and does not represent the true views of the poster if i knew how to make the font smaller this would be in fine print but i'm too lazy to work it out.)

Lol   8) 8) 8)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »
I am very wrong or are we all comparing two very different cameras with different purposes? As I see from what I've been reading, the D800 is more a studio/landscape camera, and the 5Dm3 more an all-around camera, maybe what wedding photographers want. People seem to want a 30+ MP with a ton of DR and 10 FPS... No can do. Very different cameras, very different uses, or am I wrong?
I don't understand the US$ 500 difference, though.
It really seems that a high MP studio work/landscape camera missing in Canon's lineup, but it looks like it's on its way (or not?).
In the beginning I didn't like this "mark x" thing, but now I like it and see advantages. What if:
- 1Dm_ for insanely high FPS and ISO (sports)
- 3Dm_ (or some new series) for high MP studio/landscape
- 5Dm_ for all-around FF (weddings)
- 7Dm_ for best crop sensor
- xxD for little better than entry-level
- xxxD for entry-level
Makes it easier for everyone. If I'm a sports shooter, then I know Canon's got 1Dm_ line that suits my needs; if I'm into landscape, the 3D series is my stuff, and so on.
Anyway, I think 5Dm3 and D800 are not comparable, and the 5Dm3 will be a very good camera for what it's intended to (although a tad expensive).

The one interesting thing about the D800 is that it actually is as all around as the 5D3 or more. It has better reach for wildlife, more MP and DR for landscapes, same speed although only with grip and DX crop.

5D3 has more speed at FF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »

5dmk.iii

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2012, 03:43:20 PM »
I think both are very capable cameras. Most people will struggle to reach the limit of their capability.

No point fretting about it - just buy the one that you want and can afford

In case of Squibby... Two;  ;D 1 series bodies

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »

Found this topic:

I have been waiting for those pic.  Now finally we can compare apples with .. Canon.  Excellent work of those folk s at IR.

Nikon's color continues to always look off to me. I'm happy to stick with Canon.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2012, 03:51:22 PM »