Gear Talk > EOS Bodies - For Video

Best Lenses for Video for Canon 5D Mark III?

(1/5) > >>

filmrebel:
Hey guys. I plan on purchasing a 5D Mark III soon, but there are a couple problems. One: I don't own any lenses (compatible with full-frame). Two: I'm on a budget (So can't get things like 70-200 2.8) What would you recommend. So far, I've been considering the 24-70mm 2.8 (instead of kit lens), 50mm 1.8, and 85mm 1.8. What should I add/change/remove and why? These lenses will mainly be used for video but will be taking a few stills with it. Thanks!

tvde:
I can really recommend the 50mm 1.4. It's not very expensive and allows for a nice limited DoF.

mrmarks:
I find the 24-105L f4 IS is a good video lens. The IS is an advantage with hand rigs and with the zoom, you don't have to change lenses. The price is also relatively low especially if you get it as a kit lens, or used.

Spooky:
If you like the wide end, try out the 17-40mm, it's excellent and the cheapest 'L' too!

fernando:
for video....if you're on a budget, I don't think you should be looking at the best lenses from Canon. You could wait for the new Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 IS, should be released very soon ($900-1000?), seems like a good all around lens.

I think the lack of image stabilization in fast top Canon lenses makes them too expensive for videographers. If you're going to spend a lot in a lens for video, it should have IS.

I'd get something similar to this set, there are other options but most have slower apertures.

Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 IS
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Canon 50mm f/1.8 or f/1.4

I think this should cover most of your shots, maybe get a telephoto later.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version