April 16, 2014, 09:54:37 PM

Author Topic: Best Lenses for Video for Canon 5D Mark III?  (Read 37645 times)

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: Best Lenses for Video for Canon 5D Mark III?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »
What kinds of video do you want to produce?

The normal "cinema" kit is 18,25,35,50,85mm with longer (100mm+) and wider (<16mm) optional.  For videography as long as 300mm equivalent is not rare...  This is in super35 (APS-C) terms, so 28-135mm would be the "normal" range for full frame digital.

You can do 24-70mm and get a really nice portion of that range (and shallow focus equivalent to about f1.8 or f2 on super35) and add a longer prime or 70-200mm if you want....personally I am a wide angle enthusiast so 24-70mm would be my "one lens" of choice.  Decent bokeh, not so sharp, but great for video.  But the 24-105mm f4 can still get shallow focus and it has IS.  Not a bad choice at all, but there's more distortion and worse bokeh.

The above post is right on, though, MF nikons are great for the money and the long focus throw and hard infinity stops are excellent.  The 14mm f2.8 II is also a totally fantastic UWA with minimal distortion, phenomenal for stylized video but hard to use well because it imparts such a distinct style.  The new Rokinon cinema lenses (and Rokinon lenses in general) are pretty great for the money so consider picking up a 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm kit composed of their three primes and a 50mm of your choice for a super fast "modern" kit.

As for shooting stops, don't fall into the shallow focus trap.  f4 to f5.6 when there's light looks great.

IS is controversial.  5D III has significantly reduced skew.  IS is less important on a heavier rig with better camera support and if you have steady hands you might not need it.  If you do lots of vfx and have shaky hands better get it.

50mm f1.8 is great if you can pull focus on it and don't mind five-bladed aperture.  Not my favorite but amazing for the price.  As a part of a "serious" kit it might get some frowns.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 01:31:51 AM »

corey.kaye

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »
If you're shooting hand held at all... you want IS.

DigitalRev Lens Image Stabilisation Video Test Small | Large

Speediakal

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 02:36:07 AM »
Zeiss 50mm 1.4
-Amazing image quality
-Very little breathing
-Great build quality

IS on video? No. Absolutely not.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »
If you're shooting hand held at all... you want IS.

DigitalRev Lens Image Stabilisation Video Test

Uhh this thread is almost a year old.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

RickSpringfield

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »
I recommend Zeiss as well.  Buy this one:  Zeiss 35/F2

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/658553-REG/Zeiss_1762_850_Distagon_35mm_T.html

A friend of mine is a wonderful DP and shoots with this lens.  What you should know ahead of time is that Zeiss are Manual Focus (with focus assist).  I'm not sure if you are just getting into the DSLR vid game or have been doing it for a bit, but you'll always be shooting manual anyway so this isnt a drawback for video.  Zeiss have amazing CONTRAST in the image.  This is really nice because things pop when you lock on focus ... like eyes.  Build quality is really second to none.  Its all metal and glass.  Seriously.  There aren't any plastic doojobbies.  Its just all metal and glass.

There isn't any IS ... but IS is a tricky bugger.  Lets say you want to use the DSLR video to take the place of your camcorder which is an aging VHS and looks like a shoulder mounted rocket launcher.  Well, then I would get an IS lens.  If you have kids and parades and such, that might mean something that gets as wide as 35 or as long as 200.  Perhaps the new Canon 35-200 F2 L for $1299.00?  This lens is only available through http://www.fantasylandcameralensestheywontmakeeventhoughwewantthem.com.  And its ususally out of stock.  But that would be a perfect lens for the whole kids and parades situation.  As a close second, go with the 24-70 or the 70-200.  Either sacrifices a bit (wide or long) so you'll have to decide.

On the other hand, you might be a person looking for a lens to start down the path of being 'Philip Bloom:  Part Deux'.  And if this is the case, I really think the Zeiss glass will serve you well.  Its not IS, Its not AF ... but it is a prime, it is very contrasty, and it is built like a tank (and with a good focus throw I might add).  Or.... you could get a Cinema lens; but ...

Up until about a year ago I didnt even realize there were lenses made for cinema.  Turns out I wasn't supposed to find out either because typically this information is kept secret by a group of people called the 'Loyal Order Of the Prime' or L.O.O.P for short.  Apparently their whole goal is to ensure cinema lenses are only known by a few and even if you find out about them ... make every retailer have the prices so high only persons owning exotic european sportscars would even consider buying one.  I'm pretty sure I had a run in with a L.O.O.P member last year. I was strangly and randomly questioned on location by a passerby asking what kind of lens I was using.  I knew he was L.O.O.P because he had a Tatoo on his neck that said 'T1.4'.  Scary stuff!

I am sure there are other great lenses as well, but Zeiss I've seen it in action and witnessed the output through post grading.  Pretty awesome.  The minus on a prime is that they come standard with 'foot zoom' ...meaning you have to walk closer to your subject to get closer shots.

Happy Buying!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:50 AM »