October 22, 2014, 08:58:32 PM

Author Topic: The Megapixels are Coming [CR1]  (Read 30781 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
The Megapixels are Coming [CR1]
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:09:27 AM »
More pixels are coming
A suggestion that a high megapixel camera is coming from Canon, and could be introduced near the end of 2012. Alongside the camera would come new ultra wide angle lens(es). It was suggested both a zoom and a prime in the area of 16mm.

I warn that this sort of conjecture will be a regular occurrence going forward I think. There is a large number of people in the community that desire a 35 megapixel camera from Canon.

NAB 2012?
Some have suggested the upcoming 4K DSLR will be the high megapixel camera. I don’t believe that to be true, as the high megapixel count is definitely a request of the photographic community, and paying for high end video features is probably not something that would make the segment too happy.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

The Megapixels are Coming [CR1]
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:09:27 AM »

Tijn

Re: The Megapixels are Coming [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
With the Nikon high-megapixel camera (D800) being pretty much on par with Canon's newest camera in that price range (5D mk3) in AF and noise performance however, would this new high-megapixel camera keep the rest of this functionality as well? Looking only at Canon's own lineup, I'd expect Canon to build and deliver a high-megapixel but less-AF-burst-focussed camera, but the Nikon would still be the magical merging of those two things. Looking at Canon's competition, I'd expect Canon to offer something worth choosing Canon for.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 08:22:46 AM by Tijn »

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 08:20:08 AM »
I'm not in a hurry to replace my 5D2 but this is the last chance for Canon to stay with Canon. I don't think though I'm willing to wait longer than Photokina.

Alker

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
I'm not in a hurry to replace my 5D2 but this is the last chance for Canon to stay with Canon. I don't think though I'm willing to wait longer than Photokina.

Ivar what is you message ???????
Last chance for Canon ???????
Who cares !!!!!

There is more to photography then only the DSLR's
What about lenses ?
For me that is a reason to stay with Canon.

Could you please show us some of your pictures?
I really really wonder what kind of photographer you are that the currend DSLR's (Canon and Nikon) are not good  enough.

Please show me your skills instead of all this nonsense about equipment...

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
14-24mm zoom makes sense seeming Nikon has one.
17-40/4 with IS zoom makes sense seeming Nikon has one as well.

Both solutions are of little interest to me.

Where's the 35L, 135L & 400/5.6L replacements?
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 09:07:10 AM »
I have little doubt Canon will release a high MP camera. The question is when. This year? Next year?

I'd personally have bet on next year - but I'm not sure now as they are feeling the pressure from Canon users switching to Nikon.

I'd consider buying one for landscape photography. I don't need it for anything else though.

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »
If the first rumor says late 2012, then in reality it will be late 2014.  We've been hearing 5D3 rumors for nearly 2 years before the official announcement earlier this month.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 09:11:33 AM »
I agree that the last chance was rather pathetic.

NSFW warning but here you go: http://www.modelmayhem.com/255452

Ivar what is you message ???????
Last chance for Canon ???????
Who cares !!!!!

There is more to photography then only the DSLR's
What about lenses ?
For me that is a reason to stay with Canon.

Could you please show us some of your pictures?
I really really wonder what kind of photographer you are that the currend DSLR's (Canon and Nikon) are not good  enough.

Please show me your skills instead of all this nonsense about equipment...

squarebox

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »

Where's the 35L, 135L & 400/5.6L replacements?

From what i've read there is way more issues with the 16-35L and 24L than the 35L.  My bet would be those would be replaced before the 35L
5Dmk3 - 16-35L - 24-105L - 70-200L F2.8 mk2 - 35L - 50mm 1.4 - 100L - 600xt-rt

GL

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 09:15:52 AM »
Here we go. We'll probably see new CR1 rumours of a high MP camera until, well, until we actually get one! Like I've posted elsewhere, I just can't see Canon introducing a 30MP+ FF camera with the same IQ as the 5D3 for anywhere near the price of the 5D3, unless they cripple other aspects (pro AF, FPS, build). Could the "entry level FF" everyone seems to be clamouring for - after Canon put the 5D3 just out of reach for cash-strapped enthusiasts - be a 40MP monster with very basic functionality? Unlikely.

I think the key word here is FF. I can see Canon pulling a rabbit out the hat with a 30-40MP 7D II, similar specs to the current 7D, lower high ISO IQ than any of the FF cams, but decent low-to-midrange IQ and best-in-class resolution. That way it doesn't step on any "pro" toes in terms of ultimate IQ/build, and undercuts Nikon's high-res cam by $1000 or more.

Personally I'm happy to wait for a 5D Mk IV with 40MP, an extra stop of juice, and a new DiGiC 6 keeping the FPS up around 6. Hopefully by then 128GB CF/SD cards would have dropped in price to affordable levels, and Intel would have cranked out some CPUs capable of dealing with the 100MB+ RAW file sizes (my head hurts just thinking about it). Until then two 5D3's will do the business, literally.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:16:12 AM »
14-24mm zoom makes sense seeming Nikon has one.

Ditto. I've wondered for some time why Canon doesn't add such a lens to their own lineup. I'd love a 14-24 for my landscape and wide-field night sky work.

Ellen Schmidtee

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 09:21:40 AM »
There's a rumor about a 17-40mm f/2.8-4.0, this rumor might refer to it.

I'd rather see a response to the Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 12-24mm

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »

I'm not a high MP guy...so current 5D III is what I'm looking for. However, I hope this rumor will become TRUE for those looking for high MP body.

Good Luck Guys,
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 09:30:16 AM »
I can see Canon pulling a rabbit out the hat with a 30-40MP 7D II, similar specs to the current 7D, lower high ISO IQ than any of the FF cams, but decent low-to-midrange IQ and best-in-class resolution.

I'd be surprised by that. I don't think the IQ would be very good, and the people who seem to *particularly* want high MP are studio and landscape guys - neither of whom really want a crop camera.

Not saying it won't happen - I'd just be surprised.

moreorless

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »
Some have suggested the upcoming 4K DSLR will be the high megapixel camera. I don’t believe that to be true, as the high megapixel count is definitely a request of the photographic community, and paying for high end video features is probably not something that would make the segment too happy.

Would these two areas be mutually exclusive? as a layman with little knowledge of the video side of things wouldnt the processing power needed for 4K video also be useful for a high megapixel body retaining decent FPS?

The main conflict between video and stills for me seems like its potentially limating resolution for superior downscaling but unlike the 5D mk3 the number being banded is significantly higher than expectations at 44 MP.

The "anti video" arguement to me really seems to be anger from stills users at bodies being marketed on improved video features rather than the presence of video itself. There does potentially seem to be alot of crossover to me, smaller cinema productions who want 4K also havign a camera that can take promotional stills, areas like wildlife and sports that pushed HD TV hard would also surely like the ability to take high quality stills?

Having 4K video and decent FPS seems like one way a higher priced Canon high MP camera could differentiate itself even more from MF competision.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 09:47:14 AM »