August 27, 2014, 07:13:11 PM

Author Topic: The Megapixels are Coming [CR1]  (Read 29985 times)

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
Re: The Megapixels are Coming [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:25 AM »
I think the key word here is FF. I can see Canon pulling a rabbit out the hat with a 30-40MP 7D II, similar specs to the current 7D, lower high ISO IQ than any of the FF cams, but decent low-to-midrange IQ and best-in-class resolution. That way it doesn't step on any "pro" toes in terms of ultimate IQ/build, and undercuts Nikon's high-res cam by $1000 or more.

No way that'll ever happen. The 7D's core value is in its APS-C sensor...that will never change. The entire reason people buy the 7D is for the extra reach with pro-grade features. The 7D is already pretty maxed out when it comes to resolution as well with 18mp in an APS-C format. You might gain a bit more by going to 20 or 22mp, but thats going to make it really hard to get sharp shots right down to the pixel level...and you would only be able to do so at a very narrow range of apertures at the center of the lens before diffraction or optical aberrations kill you.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Alker

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:59 AM »
I agree that the last chance was rather pathetic.

NSFW warning but here you go: http://www.modelmayhem.com/255452

Ivar what is you message ???????
Last chance for Canon ???????
Who cares !!!!!

There is more to photography then only the DSLR's
What about lenses ?
For me that is a reason to stay with Canon.

Could you please show us some of your pictures?
I really really wonder what kind of photographer you are that the currend DSLR's (Canon and Nikon) are not good  enough.

Please show me your skills instead of all this nonsense about equipment...

This is my point. 
Beautiful pictures with the current equipment ;)

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2012, 09:58:22 AM »
I can see Canon pulling a rabbit out the hat with a 30-40MP 7D II, similar specs to the current 7D, lower high ISO IQ than any of the FF cams, but decent low-to-midrange IQ and best-in-class resolution.

I'd be surprised by that. I don't think the IQ would be very good, and the people who seem to *particularly* want high MP are studio and landscape guys - neither of whom really want a crop camera.

Not saying it won't happen - I'd just be surprised.

That does seem to rather go agenst the 7D line being marketed as a sports/wildlife body to me.

I wouldnt be shocked if we saw a spilt in Canon's crop lineup though with the 7D staying at 18 MP with improved ISO and possibly FPS/AF while the 70D and/or 650D push megapixels.  A higher megapixel crop body targetting the lower end and a FF body somewhere above the 5D mk3.

Tuggem

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2012, 10:15:18 AM »
They should buy an improved FF version of Sonys 24MP sensor at 54MP.
It should also have crop modes and burst 5FPS at FF and 8FPS in 1.6 crop. Variable step in between.
AF and meetering from 5D3.
Since it will need double Digic the pricetag could be slightly above the current 5D3 level. Perhaps USD 100-200.
5D3 will be cheaper.

gecko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:57 AM »
I'm interested even though I don't really need a high MP body.

Though I'm waiting to see more reviews of the MkIII, especially interesting is the claim of an un-AA function within DPP.   Will it really be un-AAing or just another sharpening tool?

EOS 3, 7D, 5DII, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100-400 f4-5.6L,  TS-E 24 f3.5 II, Zeiss 21.

gene_can_sing

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2012, 10:27:20 AM »
They need to hurry with the 4K C-DSLR. Sony is kicking Canon's A$$ now in video and a LOT of people have switched to the Sony FS-100, especially now that the Metabones adaptor allows full electronic interface with the FS-100 and Canon lenses. Canon could have owned that market, but they slept on it, so Sony took advantage and came out on top.

The 5D3 is shaping up to be a real disappointment in video since it's still has the soft, up-res'd false HD (at least in the early test models). So yeah, the 4K C-DSLR really needs to come out. And have a FLIP SCREEN for God sake. We need it for video.

If it's not soon, I'm going to have to buy the Sony FS-100. I'm not thrilled about it since I now hate shooting with the video camera form, but I need a better picture.

If the 4K DSLR came out at NAB in April, I would buy it the next day even it it is $6000. I need a better video solution and I cannot wait much longer.

And NO, that is not going to be the high mega-pixel camera from Canon. Video requires low mega-pixels because then the processor has less work to do to down-scale the image into a 2K output (or in this case a 2K to 4K) output.

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just did some quick calculations and it looks like:
7D sensor at 18 mp = 46 mp full frame
50D sensor at 15 mp = 38 mp full frame
1D IV sensor at 16 mp = 27 mp full frame.

So, it seems to me that if Canon decided they really need to bring a higher megapixel camera to market quickly, they don't have to reinvent the wheel. Could they just upsize one of their current sensors?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Wahoowa

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2012, 10:39:36 AM »
I agree with some of the above comments. I don't think this will be a camera in the same tier as 5D Mark III. It will have to be a pro body. This might be considered as the 1Ds Mark III replacement, while 1DX is kinda the 1D Mark IV replacement. Maybe it'll be a camera with cropped feature built-in.

Also, I agree that switching to Nikon shouldn't be based on just the body. I mean Canon bodies are really that bad? If I have to start over, I'd still pick Canon over Nikon because of their lens selections. Even for the body, I still prefer 5D Mark III over D800. The only issues I have with 5D Mark III are the slow x-sync and the price.

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
I have little doubt Canon will release a high MP camera. The question is when. This year? Next year?

... the main piece of information for me in this rumor is: Canon might not believe that 22mp is the perfect number for everyone either.

I agree with some of the above comments. I don't think this will be a camera in the same tier as 5D Mark III. It will have to be a pro body.

Why would that be? Like Microsoft, Canon seems to have reacted to users' requirements in the past. For example they released the 600D with the video-friendly screen right after the 550D. While I guess they will try to get away with an as high price as possible, if the competitor is the ~3000 bucks D800, they won't concern themselves with disappointed 5d3 buyers. 5dx anyone?

ruuneos

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 10:49:24 AM »
Well nobody doesn't really need that much megapixels, but if you do fashion photography then it's OK.
But it's nice to see that Canon is moving forward and fast now :)

Marsu42

• ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:02 AM »
Well nobody doesn't really need that much megapixels, but if you do fashion photography then it's OK.

... doing macro work, it would be very welcome too! Not only as a replacement for a microscope, but if you don't need to fill the sensor frame with an object to get a descent print size, you gain more flexibility concerning natural light and flash. For static objects noise won't matter because of a tripod, and dr neither because you can do hdr.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 10:58:47 AM »
A suggestion that a high megapixel camera is coming from Canon, and could be introduced near the end of 2012. Alongside the camera would come new ultra wide angle lens(es). It was suggested both a zoom and a prime in the area of 16mm.

I warn that this sort of conjecture will be a regular occurrence going forward I think. There is a large number of people in the community that desire a 35  megapixel camera from Canon.

Just more megapixels is NOT ENOUGH.

We want better  dyanmic range (DR) and lower noise - and in raw files, not JPEG!.

Without those, more megapixels holds questionable value, just the same as the 5D3 is of questionable value for large numbers of 5D2 owners - the images that come out are roughly the same, so upgrading is based entirely on whether you need/want the other attributes of the 5D3.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:00:52 AM by dilbert »

maxxevv

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
If Canon were to release such a camera, I would think they would go down the route of an improved 5DII/7D amalgam.   

- 40~48MP
- 7D borrowed/improved AF module
- 5DII build quality
- 3~3.5fps
- Improved dynamic range (16bit ADC ??)
- Moderately lower ISO range
- Single CF/SD card

Essentially a landscape/studio oriented camera with pixel binning for video like the C300. 

That's how/where I see the gap is for such a camera.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:18 AM »
From what i've read there is way more issues with the 16-35L and 24L than the 35L.  My bet would be those would be replaced before the 35L

The 35L was released in 1998, and the 24L II was released in 2008 along the 5D Mark II, why on earth would they update a lens that is 10 years newer first?
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 11:02:34 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I just did some quick calculations and it looks like:
7D sensor at 18 mp = 46 mp full frame
50D sensor at 15 mp = 38 mp full frame
1D IV sensor at 16 mp = 27 mp full frame.

So, it seems to me that if Canon decided they really need to bring a higher megapixel camera to market quickly, they don't have to reinvent the wheel. Could they just upsize one of their current sensors?

While you are correct, I hope they would reinvent the wheel because the 50D, in studio applications, at ISO 160, was too noisy for me... The 7d, to me, at low ISO's was a tad cleaner than the 50D... So while they could use similar technologies to make bigger chips, I hope the new digic and gapless lenses and new algorithms leads to reduced noise... Other wise I will be staying with my 5d3 for a verrrrrrrrrrryyyyyy loooooonnnnnnnnggggggggg tiiiimmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeee, which is fine by me. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.