September 19, 2014, 06:13:23 AM

Author Topic: 5DM3 HDR Article  (Read 6244 times)

JoeDavid

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
5DM3 HDR Article
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »
I ran accross a 5DM3 HDR article on Canon's Learning site.  It's about what I expected but it would be better if it could save the resulting file in a 16 bit/color file format.  At least the input files taken can be RAW and you have the option of saving them but of course that is the same as a 3 shot bracket.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/5d3_hdr_capabilities.shtml

* Sorry if this link is a double post.  I didn't see it anywhere.

canon rumors FORUM

5DM3 HDR Article
« on: March 14, 2012, 08:04:22 PM »

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
Re: 5DM3 HDR Article
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:22:10 PM »
Thanks for posting:

Weird that the article only talks about 3AEB's... the reason i pre-ordered the 5D3 over the 50% refurbed 5D2, is that the released specs indicate a 3,5,7 AEB capability. Nothing about 5/7 are mentioned in the article.. granted he is taking an example of a 3AEB, but people have been waiting for more than 3AEB in a non 1 series body and he should have at least mentioned it in the passing...   
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 09:38:39 PM by K-amps »
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

swampler

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »
I think he did mention the in-camera HDR only went 1, 2, or 3 exposures above and below. Maybe the 5 & 7 are AEB only and not part of the HDR function?

JoeDavid

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
I think he did mention the in-camera HDR only went 1, 2, or 3 exposures above and below. Maybe the 5 & 7 are AEB only and not part of the HDR function?

That's my understanding.  HDR uses 3 exposures, AEB can be up to 7, and Multiple Exposure is up to 9.

Seamus

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »

That's my understanding.  HDR uses 3 exposures, AEB can be up to 7, and Multiple Exposure is up to 9.
That's the way I understood it also.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
JPEG images only
For technical reasons, the EOS 5D Mark III's in-camera HDR Mode requires JPEG processing, and can only be done with bracketed JPEG shots. If they camera has been set to any of its RAW image settings, it will take the three bracketed "source" images as RAW files – but the finished, processed HDR image that results will be a Large (full-resolution) JPEG file. It's not possible for the final HDR image to be a .CR2 RAW file.

As expected its JPEG ONLY - so unfortunately gets relegated to gimmick category for me
APS-H Fanboy

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
Wow, those samples look terrible, but then again I hate HDR. Hopefully the feature will be of more merit when in practice in the hands of those that take a more tasteful approach to HDR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:24:13 PM »

As expected its JPEG ONLY - so unfortunately gets relegated to gimmick category for me

Yep. Oh well, not a feature I really care about anyway.
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 11:16:30 PM »
JPEG images only
For technical reasons, the EOS 5D Mark III's in-camera HDR Mode requires JPEG processing, and can only be done with bracketed JPEG shots. If they camera has been set to any of its RAW image settings, it will take the three bracketed "source" images as RAW files – but the finished, processed HDR image that results will be a Large (full-resolution) JPEG file. It's not possible for the final HDR image to be a .CR2 RAW file.

WickedW:+1 gimmick which no one serious enough to spend 4000+ on a DSLR+lenses will ever use in camera. At least they answered my question from the other thread: NO single exposure HDR but three+ exposures.
Facit: This is another useless gimmick which should not attract our attention. (Like the print button :P)
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

Windza

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 11:56:42 PM »
WickedW:+1 gimmick which no one serious enough to spend 4000+ on a DSLR+lenses will ever use in camera. At least they answered my question from the other thread: NO single exposure HDR but three+ exposures.
Facit: This is another useless gimmick which should not attract our attention. (Like the print button :P)

"should not attract your attention"? Sure...  each to their own but "useless gimmick"?  Not at all...
I think you're seriously underestimating the number of prosumers who're prepared to drop that sort of coin for casual photography...  financial circumstances are very much relative.
Personally, the HDR function is of great interest to me and whether it's RAW or JPEG makes no difference for the casual landscapes or family shots that I'll be using the M3 for.  Truth be told I prefer JPEG for casual work as I don't have the additional time required for post processing RAW... on-board HDR only makes it more accessible and enjoyable for a lot of us.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 11:58:25 PM by Windza »

rlarsen

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »
Maybe I'm the only one, but the HDR feature looks pretty cool to me and I'm already thinking of ways it can help me with my work.
There are many cameras on the market, pick one you that does what you need.
I don't mind paying the price increase for the added features of the MK lll.  Improved AF,  frames per second, and silent mode, are by themselves enough to satisfy me. The others are icing on the cake including the new viewfinder.

WoodysGamertag

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 01:19:52 AM »
Wow, those samples look terrible, but then again I hate HDR. Hopefully the feature will be of more merit when in practice in the hands of those that take a more tasteful approach to HDR.
The landscape/water picture looked pretty cool to me.  I think I'm one of the rare guys that actually likes HDR.

I'm disappointed that so many of the samples were of a wedding dress near marble columns. All my favorite HDR images involve the landscapes, city scapes, etc.  I bet I'm not alone in thinking, "It would be nice if this camera put those shots in my hands."

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »
The landscape/water picture looked pretty cool to me.  I think I'm one of the rare guys that actually likes HDR.

I'm disappointed that so many of the samples were of a wedding dress near marble columns. All my favorite HDR images involve the landscapes, city scapes, etc.  I bet I'm not alone in thinking, "It would be nice if this camera put those shots in my hands."

Dont get me wrong i absolutly love HDR just not the cookie cutter tonemapped type :D
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:39 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:45:39 AM »

Dont get me wrong i absolutly love HDR just not the cookie cutter tonemapped type :D

+1 I like the type of HDR where it lookd like s standard picture except fr the DR is clearly much greater - where thetr is detail in blacks and whites

MazV-L

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:36 AM »
Is the HDR mode on the 5Diii identical to that in the 1DX, or is the 1DX HDR mode better eg. raw merged image capable?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:36 AM »