December 18, 2017, 05:38:57 PM

Author Topic: Am I crazy to even think of switching to Nikon? Here's my gear...  (Read 19571 times)

PhilDrinkwater

Re: Am I crazy to even think of switching to Nikon? Here's my gear...
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »
purchase a D800e.  Half my work is weddings, half is landscape photography.  Then I would buy a 14-24 and maybe a few primes to start out, while keeping all my canon lenses.

Obviously none of us have seen the cameras working yet, but I think you present the best overall reason to change (or in your case, add too). I'm looking at getting into landscapes and the d800e + 12-24 would be a great combination.

If my landscapes take off, it's something I would consider too.

You also rightly point out it wouldn't make a fantastic backup, if for no other reason than the moire off clothes..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2012, 04:40:24 PM »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
You, my friend, are one bad arse mofo  ;D Incredible work!
Haha thanks :)

Kernuak

• Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2012, 04:53:54 PM »
Exactly... everything is still up in the air and no real world samples have been provided... So many unknowns... So many assumptions and testing of unreleased photographs... The 5d2 was flamed for being soft, too much NR, low DR when it was first announced... Since then we know that the 5d2 more capable and higher quality than initially mentioned.

To expand on that point, I find "test samples" a little silly as well. Take that Imaging Resource thread that was recently posted with 5DIII ISO samples. I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't take photos of napkins and crayon boxes, and olive oil bottles sitting on a table. If I did take images of napkins, crayon boxes, and olive oil bottles under identical lighting conditions, then I suppose the test would be valid. But I don't.

Ultimately, all that really matters is how your gear performs under the conditions and shooting style that you subject them to. Otherwise, everything else is an apples-to-oranges comparison.
If I was photographing those things, I'd be using ISO 100 and a triopod :P. That makes the choice of subject even sillier. Of course the idea is to show the colour fidelity, as well as the detail levels in the more textured areas, but that's fine if you have NR switched off, otherwise all you end up looking at is how much the NR smears the details.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »

Just curious which body(ies) you shoot with right now?

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2012, 05:35:42 PM »

Just curious which body(ies) you shoot with right now?

5dii only..
(plus a nice selection of lenses :) )

Probably every shot from the two sites was taken with it (unless there's a few with my old 5d)

jasonsim

• EOS M5
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »
I too thought about it...and concluded that I myself was crazy to even consider switching out all my lenses to save a few buck on a new D800 instead of a new 5d III.  Even if it has 36MP.  Nikon does not have equivalents for the 50 f/1.2L or 85 f/1.2L, nor do they have the selection of TS-E lenses IMO.

Kind regards,
Jason
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

well_dunno

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »
Probably, everyone has seen it already but anyway; DxO writes following alongside their hands-on review for mark III:
"First conclusions (before test results)…
The gap between the two rivals has closed considerably in terms of body characteristics and features, finish, viewfinder, etc. But as ever, these cameras differ most in their underlying design philosophies.
Our DxOMark comparative tests for these two reflex cameras and their sensors will definitely measure and determine the veracity of these two principal claims:
The gain in resolution that the Nikon D800’s 36-megapixel sensor should provide.
The gain in sensitivity for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III (we’re betting on this)."

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/Canon-5D-Mark-III-Review/Comparisons

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2012, 05:57:52 PM »

DanielW

• EOS 80D
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2012, 06:47:55 PM »
All things and opinions considered, let's imagine Nikon's camera is actually better for your particular needs, you'll take better pictures (and will be able to make more money from them!), alright, and you decide to switch to Nikon; you sell all your stuff and buy new lenses, flashes, filters and everything. What if in 2015 (or whatever year) Canon comes up with a 5D Mark IV that's better than the new Nikon D900? Would you switch back to Canon then? I mean, neither Nikon nor Canon (nor Sony, nor whatever brand) will have the best all the time; it's kind of a cyclic thing, I think. This may be Nikon's year; next it'll be Sony's, and then Canon's, and then Nikon's again... In my case, my pictures are not better because of me, not because of my camera, and I'll stick to Canon just because I started with it, no other reason.
There are millions of folks out there with equipment better than mine, and I just don't care. Sure, I wish I could afford very expensive stuff, but I have fun with what I have anyway. I think we're in a time we can't stand not having the very best; second best just sucks. Maybe we all should think a little about it.
I'm sure it's not about having fun, it's about earning a living, too. It seems to me you're doing fine with what you already have, and I don't see much room for improvement from switching brands. Will you make more money if you switch? Or is it about having the very best?
Well, that's just the way I think. People may disagree; I'm alright with that... :)
Go have fun! Save some money you'd spend switching brands, go visit some interesting country and take nice pics! :) That's what I'd do!
Nice work, by the way!

Halfrack

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »
Unless you're shooting an event that's got Nikon written anywhere - don't change anything.  Knowing your gear is more important than the details of it.

If you're shooting an event / wedding / etc where the check will say Nikon, add on an equipment rental fee and hire a second shooter who does Nikon for a living.  Ditto for Hasselblad, Pentax, Leica...
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2012, 06:23:43 PM »