September 19, 2014, 07:53:57 AM

Author Topic: The final "Should you switch from Canon to Nikon?" posting  (Read 8124 times)

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
The final "Should you switch from Canon to Nikon?" posting
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:26:02 PM »
Ask yourself:

1)Do you have the cash to do it? IF not, you are finished. Others, read on
2)Do you care if the reviews are not out on the new cameras? If you do, you are finished. Others, read on.
3)Is your equipment about to self destroy so quickly that 1 and 2 don't matter? If it is, read on.
4)Do you follow the herd even when it has been spooked? If yes us let us know where it is going. (just curious!)
5)Will the eventual difference in performance in whatever spec you worry about make a substantive and noticeable difference to your performance as a photographer paid or otherwise? If yes, you need to read 2. You are finished.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:54:04 PM by BobSanderson »

canon rumors FORUM

The final "Should you switch from Canon to Nikon?" posting
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:26:02 PM »

AnselA

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: The final should you switch from Canon to Nikon posting
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:40:57 PM »
Well that takes all the fun out it.  LOL

BobSanderson

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: The final "Should you switch from Canon to Nikon?" posting
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »
 ;)

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
I'n considering switching (that is to say selling a couple pieces of canon glass, keeping my film and digital body and 50/1.4).

Because the D800 has better DR or low speed detail? No, not so much. Rather because I'm not sure I like the direction canon is going. It used to be cheaper, now it's more expensive. They delete AF functionality at f8 in what I can only assume is an attempt to push people to buy new more expensive glass. I simply don't know how much more money I want to pour into that business model.

I can get a d800 and 50/1.4 (most common lens) for less than the 5d3 I have on order. I can borrow wide and tele lenses while selling and aquiring my own. And in the future I can borrow canon glass if I need a backup unit (not ideal, but workable).
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

mbiedermann

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »

So do it and go back to taking pictures!

Otherwise I believe your situation is covered at the top of the thread...

Cheers

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:32:02 PM »
"They delete AF functionality at f8 in what I can only assume is an attempt to push people to buy new more expensive glass"

as i understand it they "sacrificed" AF capability at F8 for some lenses so that they could provide better AF capabilities for faster lenses in low light (ie F2.8 and F4). i could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere on these forums or some interview where that was the case.

it is not some devious plan to make people buy more expensive glass.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »

Sure...that's just a happy accident for Canon.  And it was a lone gunman, right? 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
"They delete AF functionality at f8 in what I can only assume is an attempt to push people to buy new more expensive glass"

as i understand it they "sacrificed" AF capability at F8 for some lenses so that they could provide better AF capabilities for faster lenses in low light (ie F2.8 and F4). i could be wrong but i thought i read somewhere on these forums or some interview where that was the case.

I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get f8 and the dual cross types to work acceptibly well in the same unit, and that they'd conclude that 2.8 wins a pure engineering trade the body aimed at people who are most likely to be using long lenses with extenders.

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »

Sure...that's just a happy accident for Canon.  And it was a lone gunman, right?

a lone gunman WITH a magic bullet! :)

I find it hard to believe that they couldn't get f8 and the dual cross types to work acceptibly well in the same unit, and that they'd conclude that 2.8 wins a pure engineering trade the body aimed at people who are most likely to be using long lenses with extenders.

how is the mrk 3 the body aimed at people who are most likely to be using long lenses with extenders? that seems to be a very narrow cross section to target with the replacement body for the most widely used dslr that is the mrk 2. and i think therein lies the rub...

the 5D mrk 2 was a game changing camera for alot of people. a low cost, high performing FF camera that sold in record numbers across all genres of photography. considering all the posts i have read in the past few weeks (either pro or con) about the specs on the new 5D mrk 3 it has started to dawn on me that the issue stems from the mrk 2 essentially being a "jack-of-all-trades/master of none" camera. it is a great camera for alot of different photographers but i imagine it was never the PERFECT camera for any of those photographers. everyone had their specific wishlist for what they wanted to see in a replacement for their 5D mrk 2. not everyone got their wish unfortunately.

i dont expect we will ever see a 5D that fulfills the needs of every type of photographer out there...not at the price point that the mrk 2 set.

i apologize if my previous post seemed "snarky". i guess i am becoming a bit reactionary to the reactionary posts i keep reading. call it forum fatigue. i understand many people had high hopes for a replacement and were disappointed that their specific wishes were not addressed so venting of frustration is to be expected.

for me though, i am ready for the discussion to start focusing on what will be great about this camera. and its silly to deny that this camera won't be great at alot of things.
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:10:13 AM »
Sure...that's just a happy accident for Canon.
We don't make mistakes...

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »

Yes. Whether it's true or not, that's what they said.

nesarajah

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 12:01:53 PM »
aww cmon guys . I juts moved from Olympus to Canon . LOL .

Bruce Photography

• EOS M2
  • Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »
No, but I'm in a forum writing mode.  No I'm not switching but I'm also no canceling my D800E order.  I just took delivery on the Nikon 14-24 2.8 and it seems very well built.  I got it with the Novoflex nikon to canon adapter so I can test the lens on all my canon gear.  The adapter is pretty funky with the aperature ring but I'm a tripod landscape guy that now uses a field monitor out the hdmi port.  It really seems nice.  I have no idea of when the D800e will arrive but I'm just pleased as punch with my 5Dmk2 until it does.  My next Canon body will be a FF with a higher MP.  By the way, the NEF files that are starting to show up now show that the D800 had great grain looking noise and is easily controled with photoshop with very little loss of detail since there is so much detail to go around.

It seems that I will be a Canon shooter first because of my large investment in glass (and that I really like Canon products) but I'll also be a Nikon shooter because I can choose the best of both.  I know it is not a solution for everyone, but I'm enjoying the "Newness" of what I'm starting to learn about a new camera line.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:34:00 PM »

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »

how is the mrk 3 the body aimed at people who are most likely to be using long lenses with extenders?   

The AF unit was designed for the 1Dx (or so the story goes).

Yes. Whether it's true or not, that's what they said.

Problem is, I don't think I believe them (if they did indeed claim it was purely an engineering trade).

Hence not wanting to dump more money at them. Personally I've *never* used a lens combo with max f8, but I don't like (my perception) their practice of pigeonholing customers into more new gear.

I could be wrong, but it's on them to show how f8 sensors would have dramatically hurt AF performance, when they've had them before and the competition has them now.

If I switch (I'm not too heavily invested in canon gear), it's not because of a paper comparison of two bodies. I couldn't care less who has the current top dog.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 12:47:48 PM by 3kramd5 »

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »
aww cmon guys . I juts moved from Olympus to Canon . LOL .

I guess the guys jumping ship to Nikon didnt like you joining their club... They dont like your sort around here boy...

I heard them talking about you ther day... "Since that nesarajah guy has shown up the Canon club has really gone downhill, lets go sign up for the Nikon club"

;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »