October 21, 2014, 04:59:38 AM

Author Topic: The final "Should you switch from Canon to Nikon?" posting  (Read 8198 times)

3kramd5

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: The final "Should you switch from Canon to Nikon?" posting
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
^^ heh

If anything I'll be in both clubs since I'll hang on to canon gear :P
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 01:01:59 PM »
If anything I'll be in both clubs since I'll hang on to canon gear :P

+1

For better or for worse, I think we're going to be seeing a lot of dual Canon/Nikon shooters in the near future.  I have a 5D3 on preorder, and am very seriously considering adding a d800 to my arsenal as well.

The plain and simple truth is Canon just doesn't have a body that can do what the d800 does.  At least not right now, and probably never at that price point.

It's hard not to be tempted by what the d800 has shown so far.

Just my $0.02.

CowGummy

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • www.smrphotoart.com
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
Ask yourself:

1)Do you have the cash to do it? IF not, you are finished. Others, read on
2)Do you care if the reviews are not out on the new cameras? If you do, you are finished. Others, read on.
3)Is your equipment about to self destroy so quickly that 1 and 2 don't matter? If it is, read on.
4)Do you follow the herd even when it has been spooked? If yes us let us know where it is going. (just curious!)
5)Will the eventual difference in performance in whatever spec you worry about make a substantive and noticeable difference to your performance as a photographer paid or otherwise? If yes, you need to read 2. You are finished.

;D I think you're onto something here...

Some of the recent posts on the forum have been totally insane imho.
Just stepping out of the camera world for a second: I think I may need a car soon - With no previous experience behind the wheel, I will be a first time owner/driver and want to make sure that the 12 mile drive to work is covered as best as possible. The way I see it is, I have 2 options: Either get the Maybach, or the Rolls Royce. Help me decide to spend my money!  ;)

And if ya can't stand the smell of sarcasm... there is always that smite button... 
5DmkII   |  50 f/1.4  |  24-105L f/4  |  135L f/2  |  70-200L f/2.8 IS II  |  430exII

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 01:35:28 PM »
How come I never hear people listing ergonomics of the camera as an major advantage. I like Canon's better.

And since you'll be actually using and holding your camera WAY more than printing billboard posters, to me it's an important "spec" right up there with pixel peepin'.

And what if Canon releases a super-3D-mega-monster-sexy-digital-mind-reading-dynamic-ISO-device in 2 years?

Are all the switchers gonna re-switch?

That's a lot of effort for some silly camera body that is losing value and becoming more obsolete by the day.

Glass on the other-hand, now THAT is an investment I can get behind. :)
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 01:41:56 PM »
Ask yourself:

2)Do you care if the reviews are not out on the new cameras? If you do, you are finished. Others, read on.
3)Is your equipment about to self destroy so quickly that 1 and 2 don't matter? If it is, read on.
4)Do you follow the herd even when it has been spooked? If yes us let us know where it is going. (just curious!)
5)Will the eventual difference in performance in whatever spec you worry about make a substantive and noticeable difference to your performance as a photographer paid or otherwise? If yes, you need to read 2. You are finished.

Bob, I really like your option 5 above!  I am always curious about new cameras because I like photography and I love new tech stuff.  So even if I shoot Canon, I am also curious when Nikon or Canon put out new models that seem to be great improvements on current model....and I really think all the D800, 5DmkIII, D4 and 1DX will be amazing cameras, a step forward compared to their predecessor.  So of course I looked at the D800 or D4 in my case as a possibility.

But in the end I concluded that while some spec of Nikon or Canonn will be better then the other and vice versa, they both represent such an improvement on my 5DmkII that not sure it will make a difference in my pictures in the end which body I choose (Nikon or Canon I mean).  I LOVE my Canon lenses...so I ordered the 1DX.  I am still very curious to see the reviews on all these models, but wont change my decision in the end.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
How come I never hear people listing ergonomics of the camera as an major advantage. I like Canon's better.

+1, I really like how Canon feels and its ergonomic compared to Nikon.
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »
i really hate canon's marketing strategy. so i recently ordered nikon d800.
well i have few canon lenses but i move to 3 new zeiss cp2 lenses. with have both mounts.
For now nikon is ahed of canon.

;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 01:55:21 PM »

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:12 PM »
"The final "Should you switch from Canon to Nikon?" posting"

Wishful thinking....!  ;D

thure1982

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 02:29:15 PM »
aww cmon guys . I juts moved from Olympus to Canon . LOL .

"JUST MOVED", you own a M***** ******G 85/1,2!!!
I've been dreaming about that lens for also been waiting for the 5D3 so I have been saving for that instead.

D_Rochat

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
This is how I feel ever time I see a "should I switch?" thread.

TAR

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 02:47:45 PM »
im buying D800E and 24-70 ;D.

APBPhoto

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2012, 04:34:43 PM »
Just my opinion but I believe very few people will actually switch camera makers, the majority who don't like the 5diii will just hold onto the current camera and see what is offered next. Whether that is a 3d, 5dmiiih, 7dmii there will be a next camera.

meli

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »
Just my opinion but I believe very few people will actually switch camera makers, the majority who don't like the 5diii will just hold onto the current camera and see what is offered next. Whether that is a 3d, 5dmiiih, 7dmii there will be a next camera.
Maybe.., but there will be people buying into nikon without leaving Canon.
As justsomedude, I'm leaning also towards buying D800 after a month or so (basically after the reviews). And actually I'm excited about giving D800 a shot. As i was excited in the past about 5dm2, 1dsII, 5d, 40d, 5, 10 and 650!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2012, 05:16:06 PM »

Jackson_Bill

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2012, 06:43:52 PM »
Ask yourself:

Some good points but I don't agree with 5.
The reason gets back to the wildlife photographer needs vs the landscape, wedding, etc. folks. I was really hoping the 5Dmkiii would have a higher pixel density, like the Nikon D800, that would give me the ability to crop more closely, which I do a lot, and still have the wider view for those lucky times that the critters are closer and the APS-C sensor doesn't have the room, which has also happened on occasion.  That's strictly about the sensor size and pixel density, so the reviews aren't that important.
If Canon had taken that route, I would have made the FF my main camera and kept the 7D as the backup. As it is, I've been thinking hard about switching to Nikon because I suspect it will be years before Canon comes up with something like the D800 but I'm afraid I'd lose too much money getting rid of my 500mm f4 tele and I sure can't afford to have a Nikon AND a Canon 500.

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »
I have a 1Ds3 - should I be looking to move to a D3X?? ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2012, 06:49:46 PM »