Gear Talk > Lenses

24-70 II Wide Angle Filter Issue????

(1/1)

guastellaf:
I know no one can answer this for sure because the lens is not out yet but I just want to know what people think. 

the new Canon 24-70II is 82mm the same as the 16-35II.  Do you think the issue with the filter will be the same?  Meaning you will need a slim filter with no internal threads because of the wide angle?  If this is so does that mean no canon lens cap, you will need a slip on like the B+W Slim filter.

I may be way off in asking this but Im just curious. 

Thanks

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: guastellaf on March 15, 2012, 04:29:42 PM ---I know no one can answer this for sure because the lens is not out yet but I just want to know what people think. 

the new Canon 24-70II is 82mm the same as the 16-35II.  Do you think the issue with the filter will be the same?  Meaning you will need a slim filter with no internal threads because of the wide angle?  If this is so does that mean no canon lens cap, you will need a slip on like the B+W Slim filter.

--- End quote ---

FWIW, the 16-35 II can take a standard filter (e.g. B+W F-Pro, 5mm thick and with front threads), with no additional increase in vignetting (on FF) from the filter.  Also, there's the B+W XS-Pro mount, which is only slightly thicker than the Slim (3.4mm vs. 3.0mm thick), and the XS-Pro has front threads and takes the standard Canon cap.

So...I'd say it's not anything to worry about. 

KreutzerPhotography:
It is the same thing as using the wrong lens hood. If you have a 16-35 with the hood for the new 24-70 then you'll see the hood from the "wideness" of the lens. 24 should be long enough to avoid any Viggnetting!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version