August 23, 2014, 03:53:59 PM

Author Topic: Canon is just stupid - 5D3s AutoISO still crappy - EMAIL THEM HOW IT SHOULD WORK  (Read 14836 times)

bloodstupid

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Just read the manual of the 5D III, 1/250 as fastest time for auto iso is bloody stupid. Still usless for sport and action. Might be of use for weddings but that its. Why are they doing this to us?

EDIT:

Stop arguing whether you need it or don't, no one cares, there are a lot of people who find it useful, if you don't you don't have to use it.

Fact is there are fast moving situations you want to shoot that might change from sunlight to shadow. And if you change ISO values you loose important moments. Sure you can just shoot everything with 6400 or higher to be on the save side. But its just damn convenient to have the camera user lower ISOs and faster times wich results in better quality if the light allows it.

And why not be angry about this feature? For me this would have been the main reason to upgrade from II to III. Because i shoot under those conditions a lot. And i thought they finally did it, then i read the manual and found that ridiculous limit for the shutter speed. As they said the II has Auto ISO i thought i can use it, and now 2 camera generations (7D was in between) later they still haven't figured it out

Using TV doesn't help either because you cant shoot everything with 2.8

And M, makes no sense at all Sure you could set your limit time, but in AV you could get faster if the light allows it. And in M, the camera has to use higher ISOs because 1/800 F4 just doesn't work in bright sunlight with ISO 200, and its not allowed to use faster times in M. So no gain in picture quality there.

Fact the camera is rubbish and useless in my opinion as a MII owner. And yes other people might like, want different features. Thats called freedom of thought.

If you also think this is rubbish, fill out a Canon online contact form and tell them, maybe they will do something about, they activated the F8 autofocus for the 1DX didnt they? Maybe there is still hope.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:07:57 AM by bloodstupid »

Stephen Melvin

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon is just stupid (still no usable auto iso in 5D III)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:45:17 PM »
Just read the manual of the 5D III, 1/250 as fastest time for auto iso is bloody stupid. Still usless for sport and action. Might be of use for weddings but that its. Why are they doing this to us?

Not so useful for weddings, either. It automatically sets the ISO to 400 if a flash is attached and turned on, and maxes out at ISO 1600 if the flash head is set for bounce photography.

I honestly don't know when the Auto-ISO function would actually be useful; the limitations Canon's put on it seem entirely arbitrary.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 06:52:09 PM »
A couple of problems I find with Auto Iso in general
on other cameras previous nikon and the fuji x10

- If the scene is mostly dark with lit subject you want to expose for auto iso will overexpose the lit subject to try and get the scene to its predefined middle grey exposure setting for example a concert. much better off setting everything manual in this situation i find

- When you have a big shoot and lots of photos to process you really dont want iso changing all over the place because it means editing every shot 1 by 1. crazy workflow. much better to set your iso manually again

- I personally find auto iso on any camera just doesnt quite deliver. it might work in some situations but generally it causes more problems than it solves

thats just my take on it, so i'm not too worried about it
APS-H Fanboy

eosbit

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »
Conversely, I can't think of a situation that any type of auto-iso would be useful.  It's an unnecessary feature from where I sit  8)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:57:54 PM »

Not so useful for weddings, either. It automatically sets the ISO to 400 if a flash is attached and turned on, and maxes out at ISO 1600 if the flash head is set for bounce photography.

I honestly don't know when the Auto-ISO function would actually be useful; the limitations Canon's put on it seem entirely arbitrary.

That is if the bounce flash is used in the A+ or P mode... if you use Tv/Av/M modes you wont be limited...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »

The manual says you can set the minimum shutter speed from 1/250 to 1 second... doesn't say anything about max shutter speed..
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

nicopol

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:41 PM »
I think that is exactly what they mean.

Anyway, I think guys, that is allready a very usefull AutoISO for normal work. If you actually want the whole thing buy a 1DX.

David KM

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 07:21:52 PM »
Never use any Auto settings... at this point the only auto setting used, Green box gets used when handing over the camera to a novice to get a picture of the wife and I. Auto ISO could be compltely removed and I could care less.

briansquibb

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 07:49:21 PM »
I use auto iso on the 1D4 (nd on the 7D) in manual mode, setting the shutter speed and the aperture and letting the camera set the ISO

This is great for fast moving subjects that move in varying light conditions

takoman46

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
The closest setting to Auto I use is AV (Aperture Priority)... Every other auto setting doesn't seem to deliver. If you're shooting with a DSLR, then you should know how to operate M (Manual). If not then what's the point in using a DSLR? Unless of course you're having some newb use your camera to take a photo, the Auto setting are just there for decoration and to make you feel like you got a bit more technology in the camera for all the money you spent on it lol  ;)

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 07:58:27 PM »
I'm confused...is this a complaint about functionality in the non-M/Av/Tv modes? Honestly, I've never used anything but those, and Auto-ISO works perfectly fine if the lighting conditions are changing pretty rapidly (e.g. late sunset). Only thing I could wish for is setting a maximum ISO that the camera will go up to, which I think is included in the 5d3 (not sure).
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
Auto Iso should technically work if

- the scene is fairly uniformly lit ie the camera will be able to make its programed exposure calc and it will be correct. If there is massive contrast in the scene then it's going to do something crazy same with anything in auto

- rapidly changing light back and forth as brian said shooting birds etc in changable light.

- you dont mind all the images having iso values all over the place maybe its a low volume shoot so processing individal images isnt a problem

Still its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, I'll definately test it out and see if it could be usefull.
APS-H Fanboy

dunkers

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:11 PM »
I've never used auto iso for sports. I use my usual presents and then fire off a few test shots. If needed, I adjust accordingly.

I use auto-iso if I'm out and about. I'm against people who think that if you're not shooting in manual, you're doing it wrong. Having a shot is better than none.

I also use auto-iso if I'm feeling rather lazy and don't want to fumble with the settings :P
5D3 | 60D | 100L IS | 70-200L II IS | 24-105L

smirkypants

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »
I wrote a blog entry on how I use auto ISO exclusively to shoot polo. I don't use it full-bore auto. I'm constantly adjusting it. It's probably too novice for this crew, but I get asked a lot where to put the settings when shooting polo, so I just wrote some things up to send people to.
www.pitchblackblog.com.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 08:17:32 PM »

You don't suppose that Canon might have assumed that someone shooting sports/action and needing fast shutter speeds and tight control over them might, just might, be shooting in Tv or M mode?  Or that if you have some experience and have an intuitive feel for light levels that comes with that experience, and assuming for some reason you wanted to use Av mode for sports, you could set the Auto ISO range to a floor of 800, 1600, or whatever would give you the shutter speed needed for the max light level you'd likely encounter?  Just sayin'.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses