September 21, 2014, 08:16:41 AM

Author Topic: Canon is just stupid - 5D3s AutoISO still crappy - EMAIL THEM HOW IT SHOULD WORK  (Read 14954 times)

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon is just stupid (still no usable auto iso in 5D III)
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »
What would be good is if you could use the exposure compensation to affect the auto iso
ie you ahve aperture and shutter speed set but know the auto iso is going to under or over expose consistantly by a certain amount, it would be nice if when auto iso was enabled then the exposure compensation would operate on the iso leaving your aperture and shutter speed set.
This would allow you to quickly compensate for more contrasty light and get more keeper with auto iso

ie if the auto iso is over exposing (relative to the subject you want correctly exposed) it will be using an un-necessarily high iso value which you will need to correct in post anyway dropping the exposure so being able to dial in some EC into the iso will force it to keep the iso down.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 08:21:39 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 08:32:51 PM »
Seems to me that:

Auto ISO has the full range in all modes

Auto ISO limits can be set

When using Auto ISO shutter speed limits can be set.

Seems to me that Canon has been far from stupid  in that the auto iso is better than the 1D4/1Ds3.

JMikePhoto

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »
Just read the manual of the 5D III, 1/250 as fastest time for auto iso is bloody stupid. Still usless for sport and action. Might be of use for weddings but that its. Why are they doing this to us?

Here's a thought.....set your own ISO.  Call me kooky.  A lack of auto ISO doesn't make this camera useless, yet it has auto ISO....can't have everything.  You may be a useless photographer if you can't figure out what your ISO should be and set it on the fly.  I hate these kinds of useless rants....just because YOU can't figure out how to set your ISO for sports/action, doesn't mean other people can't.

nicopol

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:49 PM »
The TO is complaining, that he is only limited to 1/250 as fastest minimum shutter speed, which would make it impossible to shoot sportive activities that require speeds like 1/8000 without turning to manual ISO.

Not that much of a problem to anyone, because those situations are quite rare and if you NEED to use A-ISO in that area, than you are a professional anyway, who goes for a 1DX.

takoman46

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 08:38:59 PM »
I misread the original post and my thoughts were regarding the use of Auto Shooting modes. My Bad...  :-[

So on Auto ISO... I haven't really cared for it... Basically tried it a few times and the results were that I lost dynamic range in the shot and the wasn't able to retain detail in the highlights.  The problem being was that Auto ISO would never select down to ISO 100-200 in situations where I would have selected a low ISO.  It seemed like the camera did not meter the zone relative to my area of focus properly when using Auto ISO. For this reason, I always manually set ISO and just live with having to do a bit of extra work in post for situations with rapidly changing light.

briansquibb

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »
Just read the manual of the 5D III, 1/250 as fastest time for auto iso is bloody stupid. Still usless for sport and action. Might be of use for weddings but that its. Why are they doing this to us?

Here's a thought.....set your own ISO.  Call me kooky.  A lack of auto ISO doesn't make this camera useless, yet it has auto ISO....can't have everything.  You may be a useless photographer if you can't figure out what your ISO should be and set it on the fly.  I hate these kinds of useless rants....just because YOU can't figure out how to set your ISO for sports/action, doesn't mean other people can't.

There is a case for auto iso - but this I suspect was an operator reading the manual error  8) 8) 8)

JMikePhoto

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »

There is a case for auto iso - but this I suspect was an operator reading the manual error  8) 8) 8)

lol.....sure, auto ISO is great for when you're inside and find yourself going outside and it's sunny and you forget.  It helps not to be shooting ISO 1600 when it's wonderfully sunny outside....I've done it.  Auto ISO on my 60D is perfect for that.  But I don't know anyone who requires auto ISO to shoot motocross.  That's bloody ridiculous.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 08:45:15 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 08:50:56 PM »

lol.....sure, auto ISO is great for when you're inside and find yourself going outside and it's sunny and you forget.  It helps not to be shooting ISO 1600 when it's wonderfully sunny outside....I've done it.  Auto ISO on my 60D is perfect for that.  But I don't know anyone who requires auto ISO to shoot motocross.  That's bloody ridiculous.

I use it for chasing birds in and out of the sunlight. Without auto iso there would be a lot more missed shots.

Cant see why motocross would be different - unless of course you just point the lens at one point.

I am going to a BSB test next Wednesday - so the 1D4 will be in M mode with auto iso set as the bikes go in and out of the sun round Brands Hatch. I think it is bloody ridiculous to ignore a really useful feature  8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:59:00 PM by briansquibb »

nighstar

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2012, 08:57:21 PM »
Conversely, I can't think of a situation that any type of auto-iso would be useful.  It's an unnecessary feature from where I sit  8)

+1

why would i want a camera to tell me what ISO i should be using?

briansquibb

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2012, 09:02:14 PM »
Conversely, I can't think of a situation that any type of auto-iso would be useful.  It's an unnecessary feature from where I sit  8)

+1

why would i want a camera to tell me what ISO i should be using?

Because when the action gets going the last thing you want to be doing is fiddling with the ISO and missing the shots

To me Auto ISO is no bigger deal than it telling you what shutter speed or aperture is needed when using AV or TV mode

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
But I don't know anyone who requires auto ISO to shoot motocross.  That's bloody ridiculous.

Sorry, have to completely disagree there.  There are many situations where you need a fixed aperture for the proper DoF and a fixed shutter speed to stop action, but light levels can vary greatly during shooting.  Birds in flight, where the subject flies with open sky vs. dark trees in the background.  Motocross where half of the arena is sunlit and half is in shadow.  For those situations, a functional Auto ISO in M mode is very, very convenient, especially one where you can set an upper limit for the ISO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2012, 09:07:58 PM »
Why all the hate for auto ISO? I shot a motocross race with my 7D in manual with auto ISO so I could set the amount of depth of field and motion blur I wanted, but still let the light metering adjust the ISO to keep the exposure right. I shot a lot of panning sequences through the track's corners and also following the riders during big jumps which both involve widely varying lighting conditions. The results really came out pretty good. The camera selected ISO ranges from 100-640 depending...
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

Seamus

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
But I don't know anyone who requires auto ISO to shoot motocross.  That's bloody ridiculous.

Sorry, have to completely disagree there.  There are many situations where you need a fixed aperture for the proper DoF and a fixed shutter speed to stop action, but light levels can vary greatly during shooting.  Birds in flight, where the subject flies with open sky vs. dark trees in the background.  Motocross where half of the arena is sunlit and half is in shadow.  For those situations, a functional Auto ISO in M mode is very, very convenient, especially one where you can set an upper limit for the ISO.

I couldn't have said it nicer myself (+1)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »
Here, check out Chad Reed and RV2:
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

JMikePhoto

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »

Convenient, but not required, which was my point.  Disagree if you must, completely if necessary, but the second a camera manufacturer comes out with a feature or function that does not meet the expectations of everyone, suddenly the camera is useless?  Um...no.  Switch to nikon if you want that kind of auto ISO functionality.  Canon hasn't had it, hasn't needed it, and people still shoot motocross with canon bodies without it.  It isn't a deal-breaker for 99% of people considering this camera for that kind of photography.  Well, the people that matter anyway.  I don't shoot that kind of photography, but I have shot nature, extensively, without the convenience.  I just push the button with the pip on it and spin the dial on the back when I need more shutter speed.  It's not that big a deal.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 09:18:06 PM »