October 21, 2014, 12:00:15 AM

Author Topic: AutoISO messed up.... AGAIN? arrrrrrr it's just not that difficult  (Read 33977 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: OMG the camera cannot read my mind! WTF
« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
For what i'm concerned, the camera can do so much, it can calculate the exposure, calculate exposure based on the parameters of the min shutter THAT YOU SET, and there you go...

I guess my background (which is a lot about usability) has made me look deeper for the ways that systems can help.. whether others want to use them is up to them, but I can guarantee that I could spec a system which would help some users much more than the current system.

It feels like the old "programmer spends 90% of the time making a system and then 10% of the time making it usable".

If Canon asked their customers what they want or took notice of feedback (I sent in feedback 3 years ago when I got my 5d2) then this thread and all of the other 5d3 auto ISO threads wouldn't exist.

For me, it's not a lesson for the users in how to live within what we're given, but for manufacturers to listen to their customers needs and satisfy them, especially in the face of competition (not just Nikon) which seems to have got it right.

It could be said that canon did listen to their customers... people wanted better ISO, canon gave it to them, people wanted much better AF, they gave them the best AF they have, people wanted more customization, no more MP, 100% VF, people wanted horizon level, people wanted weathersealing, people wanted more usability, canon gave them all of that and then some.  Canon gave everything people wanted yet people still aren't happy, ad regarding the feedback, give feedback, but all the gripes are about new features, the new AF, the new implementation of the auto ISO... in the last, lets say 4 years, that i've even dared to use auto iso, because before that, with the 30d and such, ISO was so awful you didn't WANT your camera to bump up past ISO 1000 if you can help it.  Now it isn't as much as issue.  But in that time, I would guess auto ISO maybe cost me a handful, ok, maybe a dozen images total because shutter was too slow for the scene, but in the end, I take responsibility for not having the camera in full manual or Tv to make sure that wasn't an issue.  Then again how I shoot isn't the same as you, so... 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »
For me, it's not a lesson for the users in how to live within what we're given, but for manufacturers to listen to their customers needs and satisfy them, especially in the face of competition (not just Nikon) which seems to have got it right.

+1 ... exactly!   

It took Nikon also a long time to get to the "almost right" D800 version of Auto-ISO... users cannot set their own "rules" to balance the 3 parameters as desired. But even then it is 2 steps ahead in functionality of Canon and it has a way better user interface for Auto-ISO than Canon (including 1 series cameras) ... looking at the menus shows this very nicely.   This came as a bit of a surprise to me, because in general I consider Canon's UI to be superior to Nikon's ... e.g. interms of "3 full custom setups" (Canon, except most 1 series cams) vs. "2 separate parameter banks" (all Nikon).

bloodstupid

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
.. then in those situations where shutter is important, one click from AV to TV solves the shutter requirement issues.  This thread can be retitled.

Yes if you have a screwdriver and glue so you can open up the lens and fix the aperture you want to shoot it in..

TotoEC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: AutoISO messed up.... AGAIN? arrrrrrr it's just not that difficult
« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2012, 01:04:38 PM »
yawn...  [snip] [snip], seriously, 10 years ago there was no auto iso, you had to dial it in, use an external meter because in camera meters, if any, were crap, and even with that, you would buy a brick of film, waste the first roll of the brick testing it so you can dial in exactly how it will expose with your meter, and compensate from there... gasp... whatever did we do?  Going between indoor and outdoor scenes... you had to gasp, use more light, waste the rest of the roll to change film, or if you were the bomb, you kept notes on how far you were so when you went back to a roll you can auto advance by manually shooting blanks to get back to where you were without wasting rolls.  . .[snip] . .

People should be thankful and appreciative of what they have now - AutoISO.

How many members in this forum know anything about the F16 Rule?  and no, that's not the jetplane!   :)

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2012, 01:11:27 PM »

no, I am not at all thankful for semi- or non-functional features in my cameras and I will never be. 

My 7D has an Auto-ISO feature but it sucks so much, that I cannot use it at all. 5D 2 is even worse and 5D 3 is only somewhat better. I am paying full price for my cameras and I want them with fully functional photographic features, especially with those which really help me getting better pictures and/or getting them more easily. 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:11:39 PM by AvTvM »

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
.. then in those situations where shutter is important, one click from AV to TV solves the shutter requirement issues.  This thread can be retitled.

Yes if you have a screwdriver and glue so you can open up the lens and fix the aperture you want to shoot it in..

Well a tip from one professional to another, if you shoot on P or that shiney green box setting it will do all the guess work for ya!  how bout that?  a mind reading camera...  we photographers have gotten spoiled... the difficulty, the discipline needed to be a professional has gone by the wayside and whats left?  People who want the camera to do it all for them and all they have to do is click a button.  It's a sad reality we live in. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »

no, I am not at all thankful for semi- or non-functional features in my cameras and I will never be. 

My 7D and it has an Auto-ISO feature that sucks so much, that I cannot use it at all. 5D 2 is even worse and 5D 3 is only somewhat better. I am paying full price for my cameras and I want them with fully functional photographic features, especially with those which really help me getting better pictures and/or getting them more easily.

I've read your bitching and whining for the last 3 months... jump over to nikon, get over yourself.  We get that you dont like canon right now or the 5d3... dont buy it... i'm sure canon will be crying over your lost business.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2012, 01:14:49 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
If you really need autoiso buy a 1 series . I have and I use it by default, works perfectly and gives me ec for fine tuning.

I suppose you my say that this should come as default like it does in the D800 - to which I would say why doesn't the D800 give me 10fps. We could carry on forever that way.

The 5DIII has a limited AutoIso
The 1 series has the full AutoIso

Just buy the camera that suits you best and stop whining

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
How many members in this forum know anything about the F16 Rule?

But that only applies to the archaic medium of film, right?   :P

I've read your bitching and whining for the last 3 months... jump over to nikon, get over yourself.  We get that you dont like canon right now or the 5d3... dont buy it... i'm sure canon will be crying over your lost business.

It's been suggested.   ;)  He's already indicated that when (translation = IF, a big IF) he goes FF, he'll be switching to Nikon.  At that point, I hope the whining about inadequate features and other issues will move to another forum...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Razor2012

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
Wouldn't it be better if someone really likes another brand, just join their forum and praise it rather than sit here and b***h?  It's like staying in a relationship that really sucks...or you can do something about it to make things better.  That way we don't have to listen to it, lol.  Life is too short.
5D MKIII w grip, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 2.8L II, 100 2.8L IS macro, 600EX-RT

bloodstupid

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
Stop complaining about us complaining and go write canon and chuck westfall to make the world better...

This is not about liking a brand...its just a firm that produces tools, why should one be emotional about that. We just want them to improve and think their features through.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 02:48:08 PM by bloodstupid »

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2012, 02:48:22 PM »
If you really need autoiso buy a 1 series . I have and I use it by default, works perfectly and gives me ec for fine tuning.

I suppose you my say that this should come as default like it does in the D800 - to which I would say why doesn't the D800 give me 10fps. We could carry on forever that way.

The 5DIII has a limited AutoIso
The 1 series has the full AutoIso

Just buy the camera that suits you best and stop whining

What about this little problem: I can afford a 1 series but it's too loud in church for my preference. What do I do then? Suddenly, because someone decided to leave out a few thousand $ of software deliberately I cannot have the camera I would like.

Both the 5d and 1d are pro cameras. Canon need to learn that.

PhilDrinkwater

« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »
Forget it..
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:51:33 PM by PhilDrinkwater »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »

nahhh...he would start taking some photos to change and improve his technique :)
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #179 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »
To be honest I'm disappointed about the attitude here. We aren't talking about a light leak which affects virtually no one ever - we're talking about a feature which is still not right in *3* generations of cameras.

I'm not talking about sending my camera back, switching brands or even moaning if canon made me pay for it: but this is an important feature for me, a 1d is too loud and I don't want to switch brands.

By moaning, maybe someone will notice and give me what *i* want in the camera considering its just a firmware tweak?

Assuming it is just a firmware tweak, and I think you said you can do that in a few minutes or so...  why dont you email canon and while you are at it, send them your resume....  surely what canon needs is forward thinking and innovation that they lack...  Now let me climb off my soap box and say still I dont think i've missed more than a dozen images ever because of auto ISO...  But then I dont let the camera try to read my mind...  If the aperture and shutter speed is important, shoot in manual with auto ISO and it gets me there.  Also i'm not too proud to admit that it is a crutch and basically filling in when I'm too lazy to work out the proper exposure properly manually.  There used to be a time when outdoors i could just look at an outdoors scene, and going off of sunny 16 and compensating for clouds, for shade, for whatever the scene was experiencing and be able to nail exposure within a 1/3 of a stop but even I admit that the camera meters are getting good enough where I can trust that and not use my brain to do the equations.  We have gotten lazy as photographers in this sense and this whole thread proves it to a T. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #179 on: May 31, 2012, 03:52:02 PM »