December 18, 2014, 05:27:15 PM

Author Topic: AutoISO messed up.... AGAIN? arrrrrrr it's just not that difficult  (Read 35149 times)

thure1982

Re: Manual Mode 5D mark iii
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2012, 04:08:53 AM »
why cannot I set an exposure compensation while in Manual mode with auto ISO?

Because your in manual!
YOU set the exposure in the picture.
Exposure comensation means that the camera sets the exposure and then you tell it, one stop brighter please or that need to be 2 stops darker please and then the camera adjust likewise.

If you control the parameters manually then the camera cannot adjust them accordingly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2012, 04:08:53 AM »

briansquibb

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2012, 05:25:02 AM »
This is how to do it on a series 1 body - using AV mode

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,4367.msg89997.html#msg89997

citro

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2012, 05:35:52 AM »

Because your in manual!

thure1982 was talking about M+AutoISO and he is right.
Exposure is a product of apperture, shutter speed and ISO; each time you set camera on auto-something, it will default on standard exposure and – according the scene – EC might required. EG: during winter time, lack of EC leaves this mode useless.

briansquibb

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2012, 05:41:32 AM »

Because your in manual!

thure1982 was talking about M+AutoISO and he is right.
Exposure is a product of apperture, shutter speed and ISO; each time you set camera on auto-something, it will default on standard exposure and – according the scene – EC might required. EG: during winter time, lack of EC leaves this mode useless.

Suggest you read the link - gives you what you want using another way

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2012, 10:57:16 PM »
I have purchased the new 5d mk iii. which arrived today and have been testing it performance, especially the manual mode as thats what I shoot with the most.  I hoped there would be an auto ISO setting for manual, which there is BUT
I always use manual mode to control shutter and aperture.  I meter my exposures from my client's faces that are usually set at +1EV to accommodate light skin.  Auto ISO would allow me to keep up with rapidly moving children as ISO speed is not so critical as shutter and aperture setting for me.  I appreciate the new advantage of auto ISO that the mark ii did not have, but now my exposures will be a full stop under-exposed using the advantages of auto ISO with the mark iii
When i put my 1DM3 in manual the meter in the window on top doesnt even show up because yea its manual if you swing your aperture way high or way low it will drop to over or under expose based on the range of your iso selection. The bigger the range of auto iso the more you will see the meter dead center. It actually works like a charm. Still it would be nioce like on your cam you can set the flash to always expose a third over. Of course i'd love that option even for manual. Maybe they could make the iso higher when you want a third over...hmmm
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

briansquibb

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2012, 02:36:24 AM »
I have purchased the new 5d mk iii. which arrived today and have been testing it performance, especially the manual mode as thats what I shoot with the most.  I hoped there would be an auto ISO setting for manual, which there is BUT
I always use manual mode to control shutter and aperture.  I meter my exposures from my client's faces that are usually set at +1EV to accommodate light skin.  Auto ISO would allow me to keep up with rapidly moving children as ISO speed is not so critical as shutter and aperture setting for me.  I appreciate the new advantage of auto ISO that the mark ii did not have, but now my exposures will be a full stop under-exposed using the advantages of auto ISO with the mark iii
When i put my 1DM3 in manual the meter in the window on top doesnt even show up because yea its manual if you swing your aperture way high or way low it will drop to over or under expose based on the range of your iso selection. The bigger the range of auto iso the more you will see the meter dead center. It actually works like a charm. Still it would be nioce like on your cam you can set the flash to always expose a third over. Of course i'd love that option even for manual. Maybe they could make the iso higher when you want a third over...hmmm

Flash and auto iso is not a good mix

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »

Flash and auto iso is not a good mix
Test it out, i was curious last night in a drak room and without flash i had to use like 56,000 iso but with flash it dropped down to 400 iso in auto iso setting.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2012, 12:30:07 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »

Test it out, i was curious last night in a drak room and without flash i had to use like 56,000 iso but with flash it dropped down to 400 iso in auto iso setting.

Thank you I will - did it overpower the ambient at the same time?

I have till now used manual mode to control it all.

iso79

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
Learn exposure and how to shoot in manual mode and never look back.
5D Mark III | 5D Mark II | 17-40mm f/4L | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 35mm f/1.4L | 85mm f/1.2L II | 135mm f/2L

briansquibb

« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »
Learn exposure and how to shoot in manual mode and never look back.

Who was this aimed at?

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: AutoISO messed up.... AGAIN? arrrrrrr it's just not that difficult
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 05:43:03 PM »
I'm kind of summarizing this for myself, but hopefully this will help anyone joining into the conversation. I'm hoping to write an article on it later.

The problem with modern camera modes is they are out of date. Manual doesn't necessary mean fully manual. And automatic doesn't mean fully automatic.

Let look at the classic camera....Four modes which controlled whether the camera controlled aperture, shutter speeds, both, or neither...

Manual - Camera controlled nothing
Aperture priority - Aperture was manual, but shutter speed was automatic
Shutter priority - Shutter speed was manual, but aperture was automatic
Automatic/program mode - Aperture and Shutter speed are both automatic; The camera is making all the decisions;

Notice that nothing is said about ISO. While it was possible to set/change the ISO, generally it was fixed to the actual speed of the film being used. Without changing the film, it wasn't possible for ISO to be changed.

With digital cameras, ISO became as adjustable as aperture and shutter speed. What this really meant was we no longer need 4settings, but 8. Cameras could have been change to have
Manual & Manual ISO
Manual & Auto ISO
Aperture Priority & Manual ISO
Aperture Priority & Auto ISO
Shutter Priority & Manual ISO
Shutter Priority & Auto ISO
Auto/Program & Manual ISO
Auto/Program & Auto ISO

No camera does this. Nor have we gotten away from the program modes and simply switched over to a menu where we set each of the 3 possibilities to either manual or auto. This probably would be too foreign for classic photographers, but would get everyone in the right mindset.  Instead, we left the four original settings, and have a separate ISO setting that is either the manually selected ISO or "Auto".

However, camera manufactures are forgetting that the classic manual mode, may still contain an automatic setting (ISO). If this is automatic, and EV adjustments aren't allowed, you actually have created a new, worse form of automatic. A situation where your manual settings of aperture and shutter speed, get ruined by the cameras automatic select of ISO. No matter what changes you make the camera can continue to make your exposure too light or dark.

This is the crux of the problem. Automatic mode can be partially manual (by manually setting the ISO) and manual mode can be partially automatic (by having the camera automatically set  ISO). We need both photographers and camera manufactures to recognize the new combination of modes and fully support them. That means EV adjustment for everything except total (Aperture, shutter, ISO) manual mode.

briansquibb

« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »

This is the crux of the problem. Automatic mode can be partially manual (by manually setting the ISO) and manual mode can be partially automatic (by having the camera automatically set  ISO). We need both photographers and camera manufactures to recognize the new combination of modes and fully support them. That means EV adjustment for everything except total (Aperture, shutter, ISO) manual mode.

Did you not see the post that describes AV mode with auto ISO where the shutter speed is also set and EV adjustment is available? This is the equivalent to manual with auto iso PLUS EC

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,4367.msg94459.html#msg94459

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »
Did you not see the post that describes AV mode with auto ISO where the shutter speed is also set and EV adjustment is available? This is the equivalent to manual with auto iso PLUS EC

I have now....sorry, and thank you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2012, 01:19:06 AM »

I have now....sorry, and thank you.

8) 8) 8) 8)

bloodstupid

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 03:33:23 AM »
This is how to do it on a series 1 body - using AV mode

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,4367.msg89997.html#msg89997

The original complaint was about the 5d III, what a 1 series can do isnt much of a help.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2012, 03:33:23 AM »