October 24, 2014, 08:58:36 PM

Author Topic: Canon 7D vs Canon 60D - Can't decide which to upgrade to.  (Read 28155 times)

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 7D vs Canon 60D - Can't decide which to upgrade to.
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »
I have a 7D and love it, but cannot believe the price difference from a 60D to a 7D.  I think the 60D is definitely the better buy, and if the savings got to better glass, it's almost certianlly going to deliver better photos for you.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 10:43:24 PM »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 12:06:17 AM »
I'm looking to upgrade my Canon T1i after 2 years. I'm not sure which one I should upgrade to though. I'm not thinking about going full frame either, it doesn't really suit me.

My approximate budget for these two cameras is around $1700:
-If I purchase the 7D, I'd only be able to get the body. It's not that much of a big deal seeing that I already have some lenses (Canon 18-55, 55-250, and a Rokinon 35mm) But I'm worried that having a 7d with kit lenses, isn't going to really benefit me, seeing that most people say it's the glass that really makes the images. But I do like the 8fps burst rate, fast AF, and the amazing low light performance.

-If I purchase the 60d body, I'd be left with about $500-ish, which means that I could save a bit more and get the Canon 15-85mm lens. But to me, I honestly don't see it as a full upgrade from a Rebel camera. It's more like a SUPER Rebel. I just don't know if it will be worth it in the end.

Can I get everyone's opinion to help me figure out which camera to get?

(My main focus is portraits, landscapes, group events, and occasional basketball games)

Upgrading the body won't make a substantial impact on image quality, the sensors are all neck and neck. Low light performance won't be any better than the Rebel you currently have. The main advantages are the faster burst rate, better autofocus, weather sealing,  micro focus adjustment, better build and ergonomics. So I'd say get some better glass. The 7D really will be reduced to a "super rebel" if you cripple it with substandard optics.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/%28appareil1%29/663|0/%28brand%29/Canon/%28appareil2%29/619|0/%28brand2%29/Canon/%28appareil3%29/586|0/%28brand3%29/Canon

The T1i is positioned as an entry level model, but it still capable of producing some stunning images if paired with good glass. My inclination would be to spend as little as possible on upgrading the body and put it into glass. For example, you could sell the T1i and get a 40D and more or less break even.

Synomis192

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr/Photoblog
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
Whooops. I forgot to say that I'm upgrading not because I want a new body. It's because my T1i has a scratched senor. It happened quite a while back and the scratch doesn't show unless I'm at about f/8 - f/6.3. It gets quite bothersome haha.
Canon 5D - Fine Art/Workhorse
Canon T1i - Modded for Video!
Canon 1DmkII - Sports/Wildlife

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
Whooops. I forgot to say that I'm upgrading not because I want a new body. It's because my T1i has a scratched senor. It happened quite a while back and the scratch doesn't show unless I'm at about f/8 - f/6.3. It gets quite bothersome haha.
If you are willing to consider a refurb, you might be able to squeeze out a 7D plus a lens.  The Canon CLP (customer loyalty program) will let you trade in your old broken powershot or film slr for a nice discount. off the price of a refurb body.  I did that when I bought my 7D, and its a wonderful camera.  I use it as a companion to my 5D MK II for situations where I need two bodies, need the accurate autofocus, or am focal legnth limited.  I also use it for product photography.

tuankid

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 10:44:42 PM »
I would recommend the 7D. more solid built and better AF.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 11:21:15 PM »
I waited for 60D to be released before I made my decision to purchase a body back when the 60D was announced.  I chose the 7D for various reasons.   AF, AF micro adjustment (which I think is huge), FPS, build, and so on.

If it were I, I'd sell both lens and see if you can get anything out of the body, and put it towards a 7D, and good lens depending on what your needs are--15-85, 17-55, or maybe a 50 1.4 or 8.     Check refurbs and CLP. 

If weather sealing is truly important, you will need a sealed lens.  In my case it wasn't until I was in a rain/sleet storm that prevented me from shooting when I decided to sell my 15-85 and replace it with a 16-35.    Now all my lens are sealed.   So maybe pick up something like a 50 1.8 (or just keep your 18-55) for now and save up for a sealed lens. 

Aside from a damaged sensor, I think upgrading your body for ergonomic reasons is also a good valid. 

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »
If you are serious about a 7D, PLEASE do your due diligence and research it first.

Google the following phrases:

"7d vertical lines"
"7d soft focus"
"7d AF issues"
"Canon 7d lemon"

Don't get me wrong... I own a 7D and use it as a backup.  However, when it was my primary body, it almost made me want to give up photography entirely.  I had so many problems with it that I never used it.  Went about 6 months without taking a photo because every shot I got out of it was garbage.  The shots my 40D gave me were works of art compared to what the 7D crapped out.  And now, with rumors that Canon may not even update the 7D (ie, discontinue the line after one version), it makes you wonder what Canon figured out with this unit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 11:53:45 PM »
If you are serious about a 7D, PLEASE do your due diligence and research it first.

Google the following phrases:

"7d vertical lines"
"7d soft focus"
"7d AF issues"
"Canon 7d lemon"

Don't get me wrong... I own a 7D and use it as a backup.  However, when it was my primary body, it almost made me want to give up photography entirely.  I had so many problems with it that I never used it.  Went about 6 months without taking a photo because every shot I got out of it was garbage.  The shots my 40D gave me were works of art compared to what the 7D crapped out.  And now, with rumors that Canon may not even update the 7D (ie, discontinue the line after one version), it makes you wonder what Canon figured out with this unit.

Bummer about all your problems, that definitely sucks.   Maybe you had a lemon.   I suspect you could google "anything lemon" and get all kinds of negative info.    My experience is the 7D is a fantastic camera   On the other hand I'm not expecting 5D image quality.   Also there are equal rumors the 7D II is on the horizon--time will tell. 

justsomedude

• Canon 6D
  • 5D3, 6D and 7D2
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 12:00:07 AM »
Bummer about all your problems, that definitely sucks.   Maybe you had a lemon.   I suspect you could google "anything lemon" and get all kinds of negative info.    My experience is the 7D is a fantastic camera   On the other hand I'm not expecting 5D image quality.   Also there are equal rumors the 7D II is on the horizon--time will tell.

Honestly, I don't know what my problem was... I was incredibly unlucky with my 7D.  Had every problem under the sun, from AF to the notorious "black lines".  I had it into Canon Irvine so many damn times (I think 8 or 9 at this point) that Canon went so far as to replace the sensor on its last trip in. 

That solved the banding issue for the most part, but AF is still hit or miss.  I don't mind the "softness" much anymore - I realize an 18MP crop-sensor (that is now almost three-years old) is gonna have heck of an AA filter on it - but the missed focus is still what chaps my ass.

It's infuriating seeing images that look sharp on the LCD, only to pull them up in Lightroom later to find the focal plane is 5-6" off where it should be.  It's not a deal breaker, I've just developed an "understanding," shall we say, for my 7D.  I don't shoot it wide open, I don't point-and-shoot (I really have to take care to make sure my AF is spot-on), and I don't use anything but L glass on it.  With those rules I can get some great shots out of it... just sucks that a $2,000 camera-body has "rules" for getting good keepers from it.

Meh.

RAKAMRAK

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 01:27:43 AM »
Dear Synomis, let me tell you about my recent experience, it might help. I myself is on a very tight budget and I do not earn a single cent from my photography. My interest in photography is very recent (just one year or so old). First I bought a canon G12 and started learning about photography. Soon I discovered that I needed "something more" to satisfy my growing expectations and ideas. But being on a tight budget I could only afford a second hand EOS 40D with a 50mm 1.8II (the lens was new of course). Yes it was a four year old camera, "only" 9 AF points, just 6.9 FPS, powered with a Digic III (I think), no video and no swivel screen. But 40D was the best I could do. I could have gone for EF-S 18-55 but I chose not to after reading about the image quality (in relative terms) vis-a-vis 50mm 1.8II. So I was happily snapping along and learning. Then a few months down the line I bought the EF 85mm 1.8. And now I had two, but both prime lenses. So I planned and started renting lenses from a local lens rental place. Coming to that later. Meanwhile, I went back home and met a friend of mine who had bought a EOS 50D with your exact lenses (18-55mm and 55-250mm). I was excited about EOS 50D and when I was buying my 40D I spent many hours drooling over 50D (microadjustment being one plus for it). I grabbed my friend's camera and started shooting photos. But I was not very happy with the images somehow. So I took out his 55-250mm lens and put it on my camera. I figured that I must not be able to handle his "better" camera because it was new to me. But when I snapped some more photos with his glasses on my camera (which I know how to handle) I was still not happy. Soon I understood it was not the camera but the lens (No disrespect to your or my friend's glasses). After being accustomed with my 50mm and 85mm I was, for something in the photos with those other lenses, not satisfied. Let's comeback to my lens rental story. Till now I have rented these lenses, EF-S 10-22mm, EF 100mm L2.8 macro, EF-S 17-55, EF 24-105. On my same 40D, I think (personal opinion) the EF 100mm L2.8 macro (used as a short/medium telephoto) gave me even sharper images than my EF 85mm. So what is the point of such a long story to reply to your question? My point I personally believe to make the investment in a camera body really worth it one needs to spend a lot on the glasses as well. Otherwise, as many have said, you can get better pictures with the same "mediocre" camera but with vastly superior lense. So my 2 cents will be with buying better glasses. At least if you have the opportunity, then rent out some very good glasses, mount them on you "old" camera and see if you see the difference or not. You can do the same thing with camera body as well, if you have that opportunity and can afford to spend that money for renting alone. See for yourself, but at least you will have your own judgement to back your decision. Last word, why buy 7D in 2012 if you want a "great" camera just for the sake of it? 7DII will probably come out soon. May be 70D. The body upgrade circle always goes on. Good and wonderful glasses not so much.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:32:54 AM by RAKAMRAK »
Need to learn a lot more.
My Flickr Page

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 01:28:37 AM »
I have the Canon 7D, upgrading from the Canon 350D (so yes, it was a huge upgrade). Image quality of the 7D is superior, but moreso the AF, handling, and advanced capability of the 7D were bigger improvements than 'raw' image quality. Having handled a number of xxD cameras, the 7D is definitely a step up from 60D. But obviously, the 60D is a step up again from the xxxxD / xxxD lines.

Buying good glass is, however, more important in most situations than newer / better bodies. After upgrading to the 7D I now have lenses that I'm very happy with (eg 15-85mm, 100mm macro, 70-300mm L and Sigma 10-20mm EX).  In recent months I've sold the 28-135mm, 100-300mm, 50mm f1.8. (I still keep the 18-55mm kit lens, 'just in case' or for a lightweight walk around on my 350D, OR to possibly give away).   The only lens I'm now looking for is a new / improved Canon 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 (which doesn't have to be an L... but I must be true USM for me)! 8)

So I agree with the advice you've received about getting a new lens first (eg the 15-85mm) and waiting till the 7DmkII or other new xxD (eg 70D) might come round, to make your decision.  The 15-85mm IS USM is just SUCH a great, versatile, sharp lens - the USM and IS are fantastic too.  So seeing what the next round of Canon 'mid range' cameras have to offer in terms of handling and AF is important, to ensure that you can have a suffiently powerful AF for 'basketball games' and 'group events' - as this very important in my opinion and experience.

All the best.  ;)

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

!Xabbu

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 05:06:11 AM »
Sorry for hijacking this post, but I'm facing a very similar decision. I currently own a Canon 450D and I really want to upgrade it. Mainly for two reasons - one being ergonomics and the other being the AF system. I think that I occasionally will take advantage of the faster FPS, but this will not be my main concern.

So, I'm split between 60D and 7D. I am aware that the 7D would fit all of my needs, but I wonder if the higher price point is really justified. I will not be shooting sports and just want a faster and more accurate AF (in other words, I don't need an almost pro grade AF).

On the lens side, I own the Tokina 11-16mm, the Tamron 17-50mm, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 and Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L. I'm pretty happy with my lens setup and currently don't feel like I have to upgrade any of these lenses (I'm thinking about extending my setup).

So, is it really worth spending the extra money for the improved AF (and micro-adjustment) or would it make more sense to go with the 60D and wait for the 7D Mk II?

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 06:54:31 AM »
Sorry for hijacking this post, but I'm facing a very similar decision.

I like my 60d and it runs magic lantern in contrast to the 7d. But if you really have completed your ef-s lens collection I'd say get the 7d because of better af (the 60d's af is mainly for static scenes), afma (since you already have the lenses and cannot return them if focus issues arise) and better ergonomics that fit a larger hand. And the 7d's price has dropped a lot since its release. Getting a 60d now and waiting for the 7d replacement - if it ever arrives - doesn't make much sense to me, except if you're unhappy with the 18mp sensor and want to wait for an improved aps-c version.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 06:54:31 AM »

picturesbyme

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • AtlanticPicture.com
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 07:07:06 AM »
As many already said it:
#1. (Awesome) Lens
#2. (Good) Body
Sold my 5D2 and 7D and got a 60D plus L lenses. Never looked back. Of course - as a next step - I will get the 5D3 as soon as I can but the above combo gave me a lot of keepers. (Actually now that one can pick up a 5D2 in excellent cond. on ebay for 1500 or less, I might get one to hold me over until the 5D drops under 3K.)
Btw, I don't do sports but did a few portraits lately and many with the 60D you can see plenty here: http://atlanticpicture.com/f328067798

smirkypants

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »
There is currently an awesome deal at Adorama on a 7D kit with a 24-105/f4 lens. The kit in the link is $2995 and includes lots of goodies including and extra battery and a battery grip.

Add the following coupon: S0401201 ... and save an additional $400.96. It's really an excellent price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 07:44:09 AM »