8 (9.8%)
No way it's only going to get worse, the drama so far is only an entree
15 (18.3%)
When canon Announce a Super megapixel beast
11 (13.4%)
In december 2012 when the world finally ends
34 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: So when does everyone think things are going to get back to normal around here?  (Read 7354 times)

JR

• 1D X
    • View Profile
We still will have plenty on new lens to complain about and the rumored mega pixel camera from Canon...so I hope things will continue to be as passionnate around here

8)
1DX, 24mm f1.4L II, 35mm f1.4L, 50mm f1.2L, 85mm f1.2L II, 135mm f2L, 24-70mm f2.8L II, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II :  D800, D4, and a whole bunch of Nikon lenses

canon rumors FORUM

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Not sure what normal is, but I've been pretty impressed with the level of hysteria over the last two weeks.

It seems like we've got more drama queens than a trainload of junior high cheerleaders on their way to a Justin Bieber concert.

People are now reduced to whining about instruction manuals and auto-ISO buttons, not to mention everyone pouring over image files to examine them at sub-atomic levels to see if the molecular structure of the D800 is cleaner.

I am taking and recommending that others take the following pledge: "As a Canon 7D owner, I hereby pledge that when the 7D II is released I will not embarrass myself like my full-frame brethren have done over the Canon 5D III. I may cringe and whine a bit about the price, wish it had more or less resolution, dynamic range or high ISO performance, but I will wait for the reviews and try to remember that it is just a camera and that my personal self-worth is not based upon whether or not Canon produces a camera that meets my exact specifications."
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

solarpos

I will take that pledge as well.

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
Not sure what normal is, but I've been pretty impressed with the level of hysteria over the last two weeks.

It seems like we've got more drama queens than a trainload of junior high cheerleaders on their way to a Justin Bieber concert.

People are now reduced to whining about instruction manuals and auto-ISO buttons, not to mention everyone pouring over image files to examine them at sub-atomic levels to see if the molecular structure of the D800 is cleaner.

While people may be overreacting and really getting crazy in the d800 vs. 5D3 debate, the underlying issue remains:  someone at Canon totally f*cked their market research.  I wouldn't be surprised if said employee/group is currently unemployed.

A few observations:
  • Canon went for lower MP, thinking the chatter from users leaned towards lower MP - but improved quality
  • Nikon has demonstrated that higher MP doesn't necessarily mean a sacrifice in quality
  • Canon took a gamble that Nikon could not produce a mind-blowing high MP body.  They took that gamble and, in the short term at least - lost
  • Nikon is likely under-pricing their d800 as a loss-leader to get Canon people talking, and possibly jumping ship.  And so far... it's genius marketing, because - well - it's working.  We're all talking about it, aren't we?

So while we all may be able to sit back and say "calm down!" or poke fun at what we may deem to be over-reactions from the Canon base, the reality of the situation is that Nikon has stirred the pot.  The d800 cannot be ignored; it has completely changed the dSLR landscape, and the frustration we're seeing from Canon users is because this innovation did not come from Canon first.

Canon is now in the position of responding/reacting, instead of leading the development.  You can't blame the Canon fans for being frustrated with being put in that position.  We'd all prefer leading to following.  And as much as we may hate to say/admit it, Nikon appears to be leading in the fast pitched game of sensor-tech... at least for now.

Canon will respond accordingly - and I trust that they will with an appropriate body when the time comes.  All we can do is wait and see (or bitch and whine in forums in the meantime).  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 02:47:24 PM by justsomedude »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery

To paraphrase a certain genius from a particular movie...

Normal is as normal does.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile

While people may be overreacting and really getting crazy in the d800 vs. 5D3 debate, the underlying issue remains:  someone at Canon totally f*cked their market research.  I wouldn't be surprised if said employee/group is currently unemployed.

A few observations:
  • Canon went for lower MP, thinking the chatter from users leaned towards lower MP - but improved quality
  • Nikon has demonstrated that higher MP doesn't necessarily mean a sacrifice in quality
  • Canon took a gamble that Nikon could not produce a mind-blowing high MP body.  They took that gamble and, in the short term at least - lost
  • Nikon is likely under-pricing their d800 as a loss-leader to get Canon people talking, and possibly jumping ship.  And so far... it's genius marketing, because - well - it's working.  We're all talking about it, aren't we?

So while we all may be able to sit back and say "calm down!" or poke fun at what we may deem to be over-reactions from the Canon base, the reality of the situation is that Nikon has stirred the pot.  The d800 cannot be ignored; it has completely changed the dSLR landscape, and the frustration we're seeing from Canon users is because this innovation did not come from Canon first.

Canon is now in the position of responding/reacting, instead of leading the development.  You can't blame the Canon fans for being frustrated with being put in that position.  We'd all prefer leading to following.  And as much as we may hate to say/admit it, Nikon appears to be leading in the fast pitched game of sensor-tech... at least for now.

Canon will respond accordingly - and I trust that they will with an appropriate body when the time comes.  All we can do is wait and see (or bitch and whine in forums in the meantime).  :)

This is really exactly the kind of post the OP was talking about, someone making a person judgement that is not shared by many others and talking it up as a stone cold fact.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
What's normal :P.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

canon rumors FORUM

iaind

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
What's normal :P.

;) ;) ;)You dont have to be mad to post here but it helps ;) ;) ;)
5DIII + BGE11 / 5DII + BGE6 / 40D + BGE2N /8-15 4L / 17-35 2.8L / 24 3.5L TS-E /24-70 2.8II L / 24-105 4L IS /Zuiko 50 1.4/ 100 2.8L Macro IS / 70-200 2.8L / 300 4L / 100-400L

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
This is pretty much 'normal' after a release.  Whatever Canon do, it won't be right for the critics: the 7D "would have been better if Canon had used a 12MP sensor", the 5D MkII was "too noisy", none of the 1D-series after the 1D MkIIn can autofocus on anything.  Hell, I'm surprised that Canon are still in business, let alone the market leader! Some have suggested that Canon should buy Sony sensors but that won't help them against the flamers, there would still be some switch that was wrongly positioned or some mode that they didn't like and completely ruined the camera.  No, Canon need to buy Nikon's entire line-up and simply rebadge it; even then, I'm sure that there would be something wrong with the paint they'd used on the logo. 

haqyourlegs

When the chicken crosses the road. :D

D_Rochat

Going to get worst. There are at least 3 more bodies to be released and there will certainly be more posts about how (pick one) didn't meet their expectations. This will create more "I'm switching to Nikon" threads.

Also, I think the Mayans knew that on 21 Dec 2012, Canon would release an official statement that they were discontinuing the 7D line and replacing it with the 70D. This will cause mass hysteria which will lead to the end of the world.

rporterfield

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
I thought this was normal.
5D Mark III, 24-105

David KM

I was begining to think Cameras were only for bitching and moaning, come to find out they are actually used for taking photographs. I have never wanted to post over the last year but I have to admit I actually started to post in the past month due to the madness. With the  influx of "I'm jumping to Nikon..." now I have to lurk on eBay for all those jumper's "L" lenses flooding the market ;o)

Would anyone like some cheese with all this whine?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:19:15 PM by David KM »

canon rumors FORUM

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
This is really exactly the kind of post the OP was talking about, someone making a person judgement that is not shared by many others and talking it up as a stone cold fact.

Aside from assuming that Canon fudged up their marketing and approach to the 5D3, what else is a judgment? 

• It's a fact that the d300 is a higher MP camera body - the highest of any currently available in the 35mm format.
  • It's a fact that Canon does not have a camera body with equivalent MP in the 35mm format.
  • It's a fact that a lot of people here are talking about the d800.
  • It's a fact that the d800 is cheaper than the 5D3 and could tempt buyers.
  • It's a fact that Canon won't ignore the d800 (unless they just don't care about the competition).
  • It's a fact that Canon is focusing a segment of their product development on the cinema market (see the C300).
  • It's a fact that Nikon does not have a cinema line of bodies. 
  • It's a fact that professional photographers will evaluate all imaging products and choose the camera that gives them the highest quality image - regardless of brand loyalty.

If you think I'm making personal judgments, I think you would be wrong, and in my mind - be it a conscious decision or not - you're ignoring the impact the d800 could have on the dSLR market.  I think an objective evaluation of the competition is prudent, especially when it potentially offers a better image at a lower cost.  What pro photographer would not want to consider all the options available to him?

Where is the folly in that approach?  And I'm asking sincerely - not just to start some flame war.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:30:56 PM by justsomedude »

SomeGuyInNewJersey

A few observations:

So my much of these kind of posts really make me imagine it is sports teams and fans being discussed.

canon rumors FORUM