August 01, 2014, 11:55:45 AM

Author Topic: Recommend me a lens that's better/more useful than a 50mm lens  (Read 18622 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend me a lens that's better/more useful than a 50mm lens
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »
In humans the nose grows throughout your life so large noses are associated with older people.

keeps growing! damn i am doomed... I wonder if they make eye piece extensions for people that are geometrically nasally challenged

Ha Ha Ha!!! Not really. That is why they have live view and some cameras have the flip out lcd screen!

turning your dSLR into an overpriced and glorified point and shoot

I get your drift. But, (and it is a BIG but) {notice that that word ended with a single 't' and not two...} if a vital part of your anatomy interfered with the ability to shoot with an SLR in the way you would prefer to, would you not want to shoot at all? I would, even if I had to point...

Now that was all banter... However, my eyes are not as good as they used to be. So a larger screen and reading glasses help me. An angled LED screen helps frame a picture when there is a wall of photographers in front of me having "Press" passes. I don't have any such privileges. So the flip-out screen helps. Now if I were 8 foot something I probably would not care; but I am not, so that is where my preference comes from.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »

kdsand

• Canon 70D
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2012, 02:49:09 PM »
In humans the nose grows throughout your life so large noses are associated with older people.

keeps growing! damn i am doomed... I wonder if they make eye piece extensions for people that are geometrically nasally challenged

Ha Ha Ha!!! Not really. That is why they have live view and some cameras have the flip out lcd screen!

I get your drift. But, (and it is a BIG but) {notice that that word ended with a single 't' and not two...} if a vital part of your anatomy interfered with the ability to shoot with an SLR in the way you would prefer to, would you not want to shoot at all? I would, even if I had to point...

Now that was all banter... However, my eyes are not as good as they used to be. So a larger screen and reading glasses help me. An angled LED screen helps frame a picture when there is a wall of photographers in front of me having "Press" passes. I don't have any such privileges. So the flip-out screen helps. Now if I were 8 foot something I probably would not care; but I am not, so that is where my preference comes from.
Now I could have sworn Canon did have some sort of extension. I think it may have also magnified the image a tad. I'll have try & remember where I saw it. I think it was OEM and an on their website.....
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2012, 03:18:56 PM »
I'd prefer a 40mm f/2 pancake lens to a 50.  Just a bit wider than a standard lens, with a much smaller form factor.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »

Now I could have sworn Canon did have some sort of extension. I think it may have also magnified the image a tad. I'll have try & remember where I saw it. I think it was OEM and an on their website.....
Really while I was joking i would totally buy that for my 5Dmk2, 1D bodys have it further out by default so they are more comfortable
APS-H Fanboy

dougfrommar

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2012, 08:05:20 PM »
I own the Canon 50mmf1.2L, Canon 70-200f2.8L IS II and Canon 24-105L IS lenses..... each one has it's own advantages and depends on the type of shot you are trying to get at that time. For family/wedding/portrait or trying to get great depth of field I love the 50f1.2. For wildlife, hiking or wanting a tac sharp photo the 70-200 is my favourite. It probably has the best IS of any lens.
However for a great USEFUL zoom range as a walkabout lens - the 24-105 probably is the best. Mainly because it gives quite a wide angle right up to a decent telephoto for most needs. It also has IS and for me has been a very consistant lens - always giving sharp results.
So my recommendation would be the 24-105L IS lens as a "more useful" lens for you.

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
If you want perfect portrait lens get EF 200 2.8 L II lens. If you own (and i saw that you do) 70-200 2.8 IS II then you already have most amazing concert and portrait lens.

I personaly dont like wide lenses so i wont recommend those. Just matter of personal preference.
the 70-200 is way too long. i want to be right up the front. if i was on the sides and safe (from getting bumped against so i dont drop my camera) that'd be ok i suppose. But i want to try and get to the front of the stage and im thinking the a prime is probably my best option

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »

Really while I was joking i would totally buy that for my 5Dmk2, 1D bodys have it further out by default so they are more comfortable

I was looking for them too at one time when I wanted to use my FD lenses with my 300D.
Here are some links...
http://www.amazon.com/Seagull-Magnification-Viewfinder-Minolta-Olympus/dp/B0028ZST1C
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1227397
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_itemId=230351055745&_nkw=TENPA%201%2036x%20eyecup%20eyepiece%20magnifier%20Nikon%20Canon%20More

Is that what you were looking for?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2012, 10:30:26 PM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2012, 10:33:03 PM »
cool thanks did you actually get it and use it any feedback on how it works? might be really handy for using my FD600
APS-H Fanboy

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2012, 01:13:24 AM »
cool thanks did you actually get it and use it any feedback on how it works? might be really handy for using my FD600

No I did not. I had given my 80-200 FD for repair and was told that it had a bad case of fungus and so it was not usable. My 28-80 Soligor (also FD mount) shot yellow pictures :( and that left me with my 50mm 1.8 FD so I did not bother.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2012, 01:26:20 AM »
bummer, I was lucky to snag a mint condition 600 f4.5 FD off ebay for $1400, such a nice lens and the glass is crystal clear and not a spec of paint missing from it might grab one of those to try out on the 5D2 thanks again
APS-H Fanboy

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2012, 01:39:10 AM »
Im sorta ruling out the 35mm (L, im undecided on the non-L) and the 50's (canon and sigma) since I cant decide which brand is better.

which one out of 85L and 135L on a 7d? So 136mm v.s 216mm. Too tight? I think so.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47:48 AM »
on a 7D for what you want get the sigma 30mm f1.4 (this is a crop only lens) gives close to the 50mm on FF and the sigma 85mm f1.4 (the 85 will be about 120mm on ff) great for tighter shots
you can sort out focus issues with AFMA

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sigma-30mm-30-F1-4-EX-DC-HSM-Lens-Canon-7D-60D-0198-/300581191160?pt=AU_Lenses&hash=item45fc08fdf8
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:49:42 AM by wickidwombat »
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:20 AM »
Im sorta ruling out the 35mm (L, im undecided on the non-L) and the 50's (canon and sigma) since I cant decide which brand is better.

which one out of 85L and 135L on a 7d? So 136mm v.s 216mm. Too tight? I think so.

The 135 f/2 is a great lens - but on a crop it becomes a short telephoto - a great sports combo

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:20 AM »

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2012, 01:49:06 AM »

I have 35L, 85L, and 135L.  135L, as great as it is, for crop body, it is too tight for most things especially indoors; however, you go outside and shoot a portrait against a nice far background, and it's magic.  85mm can be made to sort of work, but you would have to stand back quite a bit if you want whole body shots or group photos.  This is why 35L gets the most use on my cropped body, and it's beautiful, but it is no 85L when it comes to f/1.2 bokeh. 

Still, picking up a clean 35L on the used market is a fantastic idea. 

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2012, 01:51:07 AM »
another great choice might be the 30mm f1.4 siggy for your 7d
and snag a 5D classic as a second body and the 135 f2
that would be a sweet little paring for what you want

all of that would be cheaper than the 85mm f1.2L on its own
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM