August 01, 2014, 08:32:37 PM

Author Topic: 5D MkIII instructions - Rant !!  (Read 10739 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: 5D MkIII instructions - Rant !!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »
It is amazing how one can be lost in the "I need to explain what happens when I use this option" rather than why and where the F^@* would I use this function...
Is it Canon's job to teach us how to use the camera itself, or to teach us how to take good pictures?  The why and where seem much more aligned with the latter, and I'd argue that's out of scope for a manual.
I believe the how, the why, the when and the what (and possibly others) go together. I believe manuals need to morf into a compendium of "How to...". I have not figured that out yet, but hope to do that soon (before 5D7 or 8 or 9... whatever...)
:)

<NOSARCASM>
Sorry, needed to add that for good measure...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 12:01:29 PM »
I believe the how, the why, the when and the what (and possibly others) go together. I believe manuals need to morf into a compendium of "How to...".

Oh, that's simple.  Canon covers that in the Quick Start guide, right up front.  Insert battery and card, mount lens with AF switch set to on, turn on camera, set green square/A+ mode, point, and shoot.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

editreject

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 12:25:45 PM »
What is even more amazing than an instruction manual that is supposed to be written for the masses is that this thread is 3 pages long. 
Nikon D610, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100s

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 12:41:30 PM »
1. Flake, I can't imagine why you'd be sitting around reading a camera manual. Why torment yourself? Go out, watch a sunset, have a beer. Be gentle with yourself, as a philosopher once advised.

2. Litigation is the cause of this nonsense. Akio Morita, cofounder of Sony Corp. devoted a whole chapter to this travesty in his 1986 book, "Made In Japan." Here's the first paragraph of that chapter:

"I once complained to an American friend that it was becoming difficult to find anything actually made in the United States these days, and he said, 'Why don't you take some of our lawyers, a genuine Made in America product!' We both laughed over the joke, but it isn't really funny."

And 26 years later, none of us are laughing. With Canon, as with every major corporation, not a single official word leaks out that is not vetted by lawyers. When I went to work for a national trade association in Washington, DC in 1984 we had a "staff attorney." When I left 10 years later we used an entire floor of our eight-story building to house the legal department. Perhaps, as Shakespeare suggested, we should kill all the lawyers!

3. Many Americans (people in the U.S. that is) are fat. I think stats now say a third are officially "obese." And all you have to do is look at the failing educational systems, the dysfunctional political system and the crumbling infrastructure to realize as a whole, the people really are dumber than dirt. However, it's dangerous to say such things. This country of the fat, dumb and fearful is armed to the damned teeth and has global reach -- over 1000 military installations worldwide, satellites, drones and a president who sits in his office looking at lists of people he decides will or won't be killed in any part of the world. Just a word to the wise -- my lawyers made me say that!

Anyway, I'll get the 5D3 this month. First thing I'm going to do is burn the manual (after getting the necessary environmental permits, of course).
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

brought1

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 12:52:38 PM »
Manuals cover all users, not just the ones who have owned DSLR's before. 

However, for advanced topics, you have to look elsewhere.
[/quote

I completely agree with Mt. Spokane.

Now, for my two cents - I have a 40D and a 5D MK II.  And to be quite honest, I've read their manuals front to back probably a dozen times or more.  This isn't because I'm incapable of understanding the information...lol It's because I usually stumble upon a feature i'm unsure of and will take the time to figure it out. 

For example - It wasn't until about 4 months ago that I started taking lightning pictures ( Not from my car) but actually setting up under a gazebo (not the best idea either...lol) Anyways, my shots were brilliant.  Just awesome....However, I was running into an issue with something....I wasn't quite sure.

The issue - I would take a 20-30 second exposure and then the camera would take the next 20-30 seconds to ( what I thought) to process the image.  The funny thing the amateur next to me was snapping away without hesitation....

Pictures came out amazing....I then read somewhere on the net to turn off high ISO noise reduction.  So, I turned back to my manual and had another look at it.  I had already read that section many many times....and didn't think twice about it. 

Long story short...I learned something!  When I'm on a paying gig, and I run into an unusual situation, I don't have time to sit there, during the shoot, pull the manual out to figure it out. It's best if you KNOW...really KNOW your equipment so that it's always second nature. 

So yes....including what seems like idiotic general information - HAS to be there.  If it weren't, someone would find a way to sue canon for their own lack of understanding.  Use it as a reference, not an end-all be-all. 

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 01:07:46 PM »
What is even more amazing than an instruction manual that is supposed to be written for the masses is that this thread is 3 pages long.
May be. And that is short. You should look at the medium sized threads (about 14 pages long) on highly technical topics like YALCFCLOLCs... (Yet Another Lens Cap From Canon Like Other Lens Caps)

AudioGlenn

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »
I know you were just ranting but may I suggest you skip over the stuff you know about. 

I read the manual, too.  I just glanced over the basic stuff.  It has to be in there for the idiots.  Yes, I agree that the general American public is dumb.  (And yes, I'm in/from the states).  My wife and I have a great time laughing at people when we walk around the mall and hear their dumb comments.... especially the ones who have that THICK California stupid-girl voice.  (We're both Californians and neither of us talk like that).  This is EVERY time we go out...we hear people say dumb s%&^ all the time.

5D mkIII  |  40 f/2.8 | 8-15 f/4L | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 1.4x III TC | 600ex-rt | 430 ex ii | EOS M+22mm f/2 | EF to EF-M adapter

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 01:42:56 PM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 02:00:44 PM »
I know you were just ranting but may I suggest you skip over the stuff you know about. 

I read the manual, too.  I just glanced over the basic stuff.  It has to be in there for the idiots.  Yes, I agree that the general American public is dumb.  (And yes, I'm in/from the states).  My wife and I have a great time laughing at people when we walk around the mall and hear their dumb comments.... especially the ones who have that THICK California stupid-girl voice.  (We're both Californians and neither of us talk like that).  This is EVERY time we go out...we hear people say dumb s%&^ all the time.

Valley Girl?
The Catherine Tate Show - Valley Girl Small | Large

Btw the comedian is actually British

sawsedge

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2012, 02:02:22 PM »
The OP made me chuckle.  Yeah, some of those are pretty silly, but like others have said, there are people out there who really need the help.  I encountered quite a few of them when I did tech support.  Wizard's First Rule.

OTOH, before my 5D3 arrived, I browsed the manual and read up on relevant parts like the AF system and various customization options.  Most of the features are pretty obvious to someone familiar with a Canon DSLR, but the camera is way more feature-packed than my previous bodies and I had a much better idea of how I'd customize it when it arrived.  There were a few tidbits in the manual that helped me, that would not have been obvious to me without going over it.

Nikon bodies, on the other hand...  I was out photographing a waterfall and someone approached me, asking if I knew how to enable the movie mode on their D90.  I figured it would be obvious, but I could not figure it out.  It's totally obvious to me on Canon bodies without reading a thing.   Then again, Nikon does focus backwards...  ;D

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:52 PM »
Most pointless thread and most pointless rant ever?

Yes.
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

crasher8

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »
Ok I tried what you said Neuro but the pictures keep coming out black.

I'll see what I can do.

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 04:44:52 PM »

I'll see what I can do.
LOL. Black Tape  ;)

DHaass

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »

I'll see what I can do.

Ha, ha, ha, ha....forgot to say remove lens cap.  Priceless!!!  Almost fell out of my chair laughing as soon as I read your reply.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »

crasher8

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2012, 08:32:53 AM »
Thanks DHaas, now I'm seeing colors!

Lensbaby Composer @ Red Butte Garden, SLC Utah

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »
Thanks DHaas, now I'm seeing colors!

Lensbaby Composer @ Red Butte Garden, SLC Utah
You're a riot! BTW, do you work in a QA department? ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »